Del Worsham Retires (1 Viewer)

Ok all I can say their seems to be NO PROOF for anyone's case. No one is wrong saying Morgan bought the seat, No one is wrong saying he did not. Mark your making really severe statements with no proof behind it, I learned not to oversteer my statements on here cause it only bites you in the ass, trust me on that one!

Personally I feel it makes perfect sense for him to hang up the helmet and tune. He won what every drag racer wants, he may not want another year of trying anymore. I for one back Del and AJR on the statement that this was Del's free will.

Ok all I can say their seems to be NO PROOF for anyone's case. No one is wrong saying Morgan bought the seat, No one is wrong saying he did not. Mark your making really severe statements with no proof behind it, I learned not to oversteer my statements on here cause it only bites you in the ass, trust me on that one!

Personally I feel it makes perfect sense for him to hang up the helmet and tune. He won what every drag racer wants, he may not want another year of trying anymore. I for one back Del and AJR on the statement that this was Del's free will.

To each his, or her own!

How can you be sure?

Once again, sir, your reading comprehension seems to be lacking. Or, are you saying here and now that Del's full of it?

“I’ve been thinking about retiring for a while. After winning the Full Throttle championship last week, I made my final decision, and it was 100 percent my decision. .............I’ve driven for a long time, and I’m just ready to move to the next chapter of my career. -Del Worsham

Retired, or forced out by a rich kid with Daddy's money? Time will tell.

Would not be suprised. Now if Del had a rough year, wasn't having fun on the track then I can see the "retirement" scenario. But the guy just won a championship. It just seems a little fishy imo. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Would not be suprised. Now if Del had a rough year, wasn't having fun on the track then I can see the "retirement" scenario. But the guy just won a championship. It just seems a little fishy imo. We'll see what happens.

He had many, many rough years. Ever consider maybe this is what he wanted, go out on top because it may never happen again? It's impossible to say if any AJR car can win a title next season with whatever driver in it. Good year? of course! Championship year? Who knows.

He went out on top. What more could you ask for?

Bucket list:

- Win NHRA championship [check]

All the best Del, you were a great asset to the sport and I'm sure you will continue to be, just in another way. All the best in your retirement.

Why? Why is it so hard for some of you to believe anyone could walk away from a ride? Why NOT go out on top rather than leave after a lousy season with a bad taste in your mouth from it? He's been at it for some time, 21 years. Plus, he's got kids at home that he probably doesn't see much during the season when he's on the road.

And speaking of family matters, perhaps Dan Wheldon's death had something to do with his decision. Like I said, he's got a wonderful family, great wife and kids. Sure would make ME think twice about it, as I looked into my young kid's face.

It's one of the reasons Gary Scelzi gave for walking away. His kids and family.

Last edited:
Im not ready to accept the Del Retirement story.....The guys what 41-42? Not that old, and I am willing to admit that in a couple of years should another Major offer come his way, we may find Del back in the Drivers seat!;)

Going out on top isn't a bad idea, guys and gals.

Jerome Bettis and Tony Larussa, among others, have realized the value in retiring at the peak of their profession and not leaving with a bad taste in their mouths. Del knows how hard it is to win a championship and even as great as that team is, another championship is not guaranteed in 2012.

He's decided to finish this phase of his career and if he goes onto being a crew chief, he can do so knowing he was the best.

After 21 years, Del knows what it's like to drive. He's probably ready to move on to the next challenge. One that's a little safer, too.

Im not ready to accept the Del Retirement story.....The guys what 41-42? Not that old, and I am willing to admit that in a couple of years should another Major offer come his way, we may find Del back in the Drivers seat!;)

Official disclaimer...this is only speculation...but it could be possible that he had an agreement with his wife that if and when he did win a championship, he would retire. Sometimes having a wife and kids changes your priorities and you start to think about what ifs.

Official disclaimer...this is only speculation...but it could be possible that he had an agreement with his wife that if and when he did win a championship, he would retire. Sometimes having a wife and kids changes your priorities and you start to think about what ifs.

I think this is a very likely scenario. It's my guess that the Dan Wheldon crash sparked a LOT of very serious "what if" conversations in racing housholds with children.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back