Darrell Gwynn (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Great update on Darrell over on Compplus. He gives an interesting take on what really happens behind the scenes with some team owners and sponsorships.

One thing I found interesting about the article is where he mentioned how you go to a sponsor and request "X" amount of dollars to run the season. The sponsor then tells you that they have a team that will do it for "X" amount less. I remember talking to a Top Fuel driver from Ottumwa, Iowa who went to renew his contract with Mopar and had this happen to him. Darrell Gwynn Racing was that team that got the sponsorship. A nasty game it is...

I remember that, and I remember how pissed and hurt TJ senior was.

No fault to Darrell or anybody else in that situation. It's business, plain and simple, and you do what you have to do to survive..

No fault to Darrell or anybody else in that situation. It's business, plain and simple, and you do what you have to do to survive..

You nailed it on the head George. What comes around, goes around in the business world.

Mopar was an associate sponsor for Darrell from day one. If Mopar chose to sponsor just one TF team then, they felt Gwynn/ Dunn team had the best shot at a title. Darrell told me in 1987 (when he started Bud sponsorship) it went from being a hobby/ sport to big business. Now days it's HUGE business.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back