Dan Olsen's 90% roadblock (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
Link to original article:

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - DAN OLSON'S LOBBY

I would love it if 90% got approved for next year, but it seems the crew chiefs don't want change. This part....

According to a source close to the program, the majority of crew chiefs polled are in favor of leaving things as they are.

....Can easily be translated to "It's not MY money that I am wasting by eating up parts due to 85%, let the team owners worry about that, I just tune."

This "It's not my money" mentality is not ideal in a situation like this, I would think the crew chiefs would be in favor of 90% because it'll hurt less parts, but I guess not. :rolleyes:

The owners have to pay the bills (whomevers money), I would think they would decide, not the CCs.

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - DAN OLSON'S LOBBY

I would love it if 90% got approved for next year, but it seems the crew chiefs don't want change. This part....

....Can easily be translated to "It's not MY money that I am wasting by eating up parts due to 85%, let the team owners worry about that, I just tune."

This "It's not my money" mentality is not ideal in a situation like this, I would think the crew chiefs would be in favor of 90% because it'll hurt less parts, but I guess not. :rolleyes:

I'd rather ask the person who pays the Bills, crewchiefs are paid to win races and go fast. NOT worry about costs...:confused:

Nothing to do with who's money it is, Sam... unless you want to talk about the end-of-season bonus that comes to most team members (and Crew Chiefs) winding up in the Top 8/4/1...

Most don't want 90% until next year to have enough time to work on low-altitude tune ups (Denver, as you know, is an oddity). To dump half a year's info down the toilet so that the fans can hear a louder car with bigger flames is ludacris.. Especially for the guys in the hunt right now. You are looking at new blower setups, piston/rod combos, fuel curves (pumps and nozzles), timing setups... Jeez- all those that come here and bitch about "no competition" because of cars blowing the tires off haven't seen anything if this comes into play. Some of these guys JUST got 85% handled... imagine the next two months of races while half the fields try to figure out this change?

The cost of jumping to 90% mid-season would completely outweigh the costs of the (very) few competitors currently blowing stuff up at 85%... That doesn't even take into account the cost of all the stuff I mentioned before- if it IS all about the Benjamins, do you want to have to go parts shopping when you already have a trailer full of parts that are now obsolete?

I gotta go with the CC's on this one- wait until December for the official change, after the bonus checks are handed out... And I know a good, mid-altitude test track that has great weather in December/January..;)

Martin, maybe I misread the article but the way I read it, it seems like the CCs are against going back to 90% AT ALL, whether it be next month or next year.

In your sense, yeah, finish the year at 85% then move the suckers to 90%!

Martin, maybe I misread the article but the way I read it, it seems like the CCs are against going back to 90% AT ALL, whether it be next month or next year.

In your sense, yeah, finish the year at 85% then move the suckers to 90%!

Check the last two sentances in the second paragraph... A bit vague in its wording, but the point is there- "no" for right now, "Probably" (read: "we won't have a choice now, will we?" ;)) for next season...

Good job Martin.......I thought I was going to have to get up on my soapbox. Change is what causes the big $$$ bang. Every time someone gets a great idea (ie change), combinations are lost, money is spent, and the big teams (more data) get a jump on the small teams. The crewchiefs I have talked to (or listened to) don't want to change now, but are not "afraid" of changes........as long as they occur in the offseason.

Crap! on the box anyway.:)

If NHRA can allow 90% just for one race, why all the politics as to whether or not allow it full-time? If racers don't want to run 90% who's gonna force 'em??

True, like I posted elsewhere in another thread, crewchiefs can still run the 85% combo if they want. The idea is that most think they can run the same numbers as they are now, but with less attrition at 90%. So obviously you could still run less, but obviously not more than 90%.

Just a thought..... Why not make it an option to run 90% for the rest of the year. If you want to fine and if you don't that's fine too run 85%.

Don't make it mandatory for anyone. It would seem to help the teams that are not in the EXCITING :rolleyes: championship chase get a handle on it for next year.

jim

Just a thought..... Why not make it an option to run 90% for the rest of the year. If you want to fine and if you don't that's fine too run 85%.

Don't make it mandatory for anyone. It would seem to help the teams that are not in the EXCITING :rolleyes: championship chase get a handle on it for next year.

jim

that's funny! just think if the 'top 8' truely would race amongst themselves.
the PA would say, "next up, it's the loser bracket on 90%".......and the
fans would pour into the stands. Then you'd hear, "now, get ready for
the championship chase cars on 85%"......and the fans would run to the
pits to hear the 90% warmups :p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back