Dale Armstrong Interview - BangShift (1 Viewer)

Nice interview. What I missed, though, was the talk about the banned blower transmission that existed for one race, if even that.

Nice interview. What I missed, though, was the talk about the banned blower transmission that existed for one race, if even that.

Ahh the 2- speed blower.. I think that got nixed before he even got it to an event.

I wish he would have expanded on how people found out about the lock up.. pretty funny story.

I was trying not to beat too many dead horses. I know the story about the bye run and then the break single on the first lock up clutch runs in public. I was thinking lots of other people did too, so I left it alone.

It is a killer story though!

I was trying not to beat too many dead horses. I know the story about the bye run and then the break single on the first lock up clutch runs in public. I was thinking lots of other people did too, so I left it alone.

It is a killer story though!

I hear ya. Good job man.

Great interview, he's one of those guys that you can listen to his stories forever. I became a big fan right after he won Pro Comp at Indy in '74 with his AA/A.

Ahh the 2- speed blower.. I think that got nixed before he even got it to an event.

I wish he would have expanded on how people found out about the lock up.. pretty funny story.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread with a discussion about lock-up clutches vs. direct drive. My understanding is that Gene Snow and Jim Head were the ones who first went to direct drive, but somehow I got this confused with lock-up clutches. What is the deal with this? If I have to start another gear-head thread about it, I will, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread with a discussion about lock-up clutches vs. direct drive. My understanding is that Gene Snow and Jim Head were the ones who first went to direct drive, but somehow I got this confused with lock-up clutches. What is the deal with this? If I have to start another gear-head thread about it, I will, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Like Bruce said, they had a lock up clutch while running the 2-speed. Usually shift it first, run it out, then hit a button to lock it up. Drivers had something to do back then. :D Plus there was a manual lean out thrown in there too at times.

The first lock up was just 1 set of extra levers and a single action throw out bearing to lock it up. Press the button, done. JFR Track Guru Lanny Miglizzi and his dad can take some credit along with Dale for getting it all ironed out. (L&T Clutches)

When the direct drive came along, is more where the multi stage clutch came in. One system being similar to today although the timers were electric. The other main system back then had the throw out bearing make it's movement in one motion, that was controlled with an air jet. Changing the jet bigger or smaller made it move faster or slower.

I read this interview last night, what a dream job Dale had. I think that he and I have similar personalities when it comes to the mentality he had towards what he did. The complete understanding of how that car and engine ran, the analytical approach and scientific method used to come up with to solutions to problems (either known or hypothesized problems). If I ever had unlimited money and the time to get into drag racing, that's how I would do it. I'm sure he would have done the same... the icing on the cake being he got paid alot to do it.

Must be frustrating today - and I guess then - having to deal with the politics involved. In a typical engineering job, we search for innovative ways to solve problems, and those solutions if viable, they get implemented and you get to have a sense of accomplishment and pride. Seems like a couple innovations he had got squashed to keep the playing field level - I guess that's the sanctioning bodies job to keep the racing competitive, and Dale understood that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back