Credit Card Fraud (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
Just a reminder for every one to check all charges made on their credit card/bank statements. I have been the victim of this just in the past 2 weeks. I saw the 3 charges on my bank statement that I did not make so I called my bank and got them working on it. They canceled my card etc. I then noticed that the charge had an 800 number on it for customer service. I called that number and they were able to give me the phone number that the calls were placed from. I took the information to the police the next day and told them earlier that night I had filled up with gas. Ended up the kid copied my info and made 3 calls within 30 min of each other to an adult chat line. He also said he has been doing this a couple times a week for the past 2 months. No one else has come forward at this time. I am sure most banks credit back the false charges and the victims figure that is enough.

Jim, I am in the finance/banking industry and it happens all the time. Just 2 weeks ago my aunt got hit with $1600 worth of charges on her debit card. She had used it at a Target and the person working there copied the numbers and stuff down and then went and started using it online buying stuff. We had one the other day here at work that stole someones card and ordered pizza and had it delivered to HIS house and then signe his REAL name on the receipt. What an idiot. Anyways, most banks/credit unions do have policies where we refund you the money but we make you file a police report first normally.

Jim just 3 weeks ago there was a message of my phone about calling an 1-800 umber about my Credit card. I called only to find out somebody got my CC number off the internet, and tried to withdraw $1,080 from Western Union. The only reason it didn't go through was they didn't know my Ex. date. They did shut down that card and issued a new Number, and recommended I change my CC# every year!

Two weeks ago, I bought a laptop on my discover card. Later that day I stopped to pick up some things at Walgreens only for them to decline my card.

Apparently since it was outside my purchase pattern, they shut my card down until they could verify that it was me that made the charges. They had tried to call me but my phone was off and I didn't check my voicemail.

Likewise, I had a card I rarely use and used it last year to pay for gas to and from Vegas. They declined it at the pump but then it went through when I went inside and showed my ID, a couple fill ups later they declined it inside and out. I had to call them and tell them yes, it is me who is trying to put gas in my car.

It's embarrasing to have them decline your card, but when you think about the security of them checking up on you, it's worth the aggrivation.

It's funny you bring this up. I got a call on Monday morning from my credit card company telling me that there were some questionable transactions on my card. Apparently, some dirt-bag somehow got my credit card number and created a new credit card with my number on it. In one day, they purchased $17,000 of merchandise from multiple stores in Tampa, FL. I would think the stores and the credit card company would question that many transactions in one day and put a freeze on my account until they could verify it was me. Thank god I am not responsible for these transactions, otherwise I would be pissed!

I appreciate an occasional phone call as well- its nice to know their system is working and checking on oddities... Last year I went from Johannesburg, S. Africa to London to TelAviv, Israel. In 3 days.. Citibank AND Bank of America both called to make sure that that was me, and that was cool :cool: . Once they both scrolled down the page to see what I do for a living, they said they would keep eyes on the account for "odd" transactions, no matter where they might be. Thanks to those that do a good job in that field.

I told a representative at my Bank to contact me anytime a Transaction over $300 showed up on my card.

Last year I went from Johannesburg, S. Africa to London to TelAviv, Israel. In 3 days.. cool

Hey Martin, how did you like Tel Aviv? In my youth I played on a Kentucky AAU All Star Basketball team, and we went to Athens, Instanbul, Tel Aviv and Rome playing tournaments one summer (1993).

I appreciate an occasional phone call as well- its nice to know their system is working and checking on oddities... Last year I went from Johannesburg, S. Africa to London to TelAviv, Israel. In 3 days.. Citibank AND Bank of America both called to make sure that that was me, and that was cool :cool: . Once they both scrolled down the page to see what I do for a living, they said they would keep eyes on the account for "odd" transactions, no matter where they might be. Thanks to those that do a good job in that field.

and the sad part is .... the banks don't take a loss ... it's the business that sold the goods that gets the shaft .... online retailers have to be extrememly careful, the safegaurds we have verify address, zip code, 3 digit code ... but it doesn't matter if all that info is stolen ... the bank charges the retailer back for the sale, and if you didn't catch the fraud and sent the goods, your out the goods and the $$$ ...

Mark

UPDATE

Went to the Clerk Magistrate hearing today. It is now heading to trial. The kid though he was being cute by bringing his GF and what I figure was their baby into the hearing. After the baby squawked a few times the Clerk, obviously a little annoyed, asked whos baby it was. When the kid answered it was his he moved the case to the front of the line. So that was a help to me as I did not have to wait around for hours. The Clerk asked the defendant if he knew why he was being charged, he said he did. I was bummed when the Clerk said he would spare him the embarrasment and not read the report out loud. He then said I would hear from the DA aboud the trial date.

UPDATE

It goes to a pre-trial conference on Aug 27th. I had the option of writing a statement, but I plan on going. I fell that will be better then a written statement.

Glad it's gone this far, Jim..and glad you're seeing it through.

Hey maybe he'll bring his squawkin kid again..that puts everybody in a good mood..hehe. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back