Coolest off track and historic drag racing photos ever (2 Viewers)

Groundshaker.jpg

Mother-In-Law 1.jpg

Nanookfuelaltered.jpg

Looking at that top picture of your post Bob brings to mind a conversation I once had with an NHRA old timer.

As far as he was concerned, the fall of the roman empire started the day they got rid of the starting line flagman and introduced the Xmas tree. For him, half the show was watching the flagman, and the antics of the racers in trying to deke that guy out. For him, it's been downhill ever since. He wasn't joking. He was completely serious.

He described the starting line action as almost a dance between three peaple, with the starter quivering the flag, the racers blipping the throttles and stabbing the clutch and brakes in an attempt to deke each other and the starter out. The faster and louder the cars, the better the show. He said some racers were really good at it, and the Xmas tree took that advantage away.
AFAHWC, the Xmas tree "has no soul, no personality. They day they started using it, the racing became a lot more boring to watch." That was pretty much an exact quote.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
There is a lot of truth to what he said although Buster wouldn't put up with much and you darn sure didn't want to make him mad. All in all the tree took some of the personality out of it but there was still plenty of room for antic on the starting line. I could name several who excelled at getting inside your head and a few still try today but the crew chiefs have stoped most of the antics because of the clutch.

Rick Stewart did a good job but he was NEVER in the same class as Buster. Nobody controlled the starting line like Buster nor did anyone earn the respect Buster did. Again not taking anything away from anybody especially Rick, I'm pullin a Joe Friday and just stating the facts.

Rick went about it a different way.....he would calmly sit and watch how long the burndowns would last, a lot longer than Buster would allow ;) ......made for great TV

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back