Coolest off track and historic drag racing photos ever (1 Viewer)

Love all these vintage photos! I can still remember passing the Tommy Ivo rig on the highway when I was a kid. Thought that was the neatest looking thing, even though I was really into sprint cars at the time (and still am)!

When Ivo showed up at Fremont with that rig I was glued to it. I had never seen something so cool in my short life, and I was sure I was seeing the future of Drag Racing.

Dave McClelland, Bernie Partridge and Steve Evans :D

Dave McClelland  Bernie Partridge and Steve Evans.jpg

when I saw John Carey's rig with the crane on board and top fuelers stored in the upper level, I thought that would be the future of racing trailers

johncareyracing1.jpg

johncareyracing2.jpg

1985NHRAFallNationals-FirebirdAz-10-45-1985044.jpg

Last edited:
I have pictures of that rig myself. I always thought it was pretty cool. There was another team in the late eighties that used a converted interstate bus with a side that openened up in largely the same way. They claimed they saved a ton on license costs since it was registered as a camper.

To this day, I still mourn the day Micky Thompson was taken from us. He was one of THE MOST innovative persons in ALL of motorsports. Period. :(

Candies and Hughes
Actually, there are two parts to that Candies and Hughes picture. I grew up in Houma, and as a kid, my dad would often stop by the shop so we could check out the racecars. These were taken in April of 1970, when Snake came to Louisiana for a match race in Laplace. Snake used to use their shop when in the area. Also note, this is right after the famous all team final at the Gatornationals, they still have the '69 and '70 cars in the shop. In the first picture, that's Paul Candies in the doorway, and Snake's Chassis. The second picture is Leonard Hughes talking to Snake.
Inside_Candies-Hughes_Shop_2_B_800x.jpg

Inside_Candies-Hughes_Shop_Don-the_.jpg

This is a hotel parking lot in Indy, also in 1970.
indy.jpg

Last edited:
Not as old, but I thought these two were really cool pictures, this young kid came to Southland Dragway in Houma.............
Billy_Meyer_Body_1st_ever_Pass.jpg

.....and a few years later, this very seldom seen car was at the Cajun Nationals in Baton Rouge. He didn't race it that weekend, just had it on the truck with the Top Fuel car. Not sure if he ever raced it in NHRA competition. If I remember correctly, he built it to compete in IHRA when they did away with the Top Fuel class, may have raced it in IHRA once or twice.
amatofc.jpg

Great pics! Really enjoying this trip down memory lane.

that's another thing you rarely see any more. A cab-over semi. I drive 122 miles a day to and from work, 95% on interstate, and I almost never see them. The few that I do are in pretty rough shape.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back