Big Willie (1 Viewer)

I remember that the racing for the bikes in LA would be on Sunday night, and in the valley on tuesday night. Valley guys would go down to LA, and LA guys would come out to the valley.

LAPD was pretty cool about the whole thing. They would let them run for several hours, then send the chopper over to flash the lights at then, which ment, now take it some place else..

In the valley, it was out on Glenoaks and Peoria. It was in the middle of the rock quarries. Nothing out there. One evening we were there about 1 AM when an LAPD black and white came down Glenoaks. As he crossed the intersection, there must have been 100 people standing there. They knew what was going on, but no one was shooting at anyone, so they just drove on, looking for real criminals.

Actually, that is what ended the big street racing stuff in the valley. People started to bring guns. The import car guys had their own nights, and there were reports of shootings there. Once there were guns, nobody wanted to go anymore.

In New York City at big money street races every car had someone with a gun. The money would be held by a neutral party and the guns insured no games about the payoff. I don't remember any shootings, just one story of a jerk who threatened some one without need. The guys doing the racing came to make money not be macho.

There was a Del Taco hang on Saturday nights in Torrance, Burger King on Crenshaw during the week.

SantaFe and Del Amo in Carson had a "marked" qtr mile as did Jefferson near La Cienega and Pershing near the Airport.

Russ Collins will tell anybody who listens that his business started by showing up at the Salton Sea street race, with the Assasin, and beating Leon Williams Sportster in the early 70's. Salton Sea was a yearly motorcycle street race that lasted all day and attracted around 700-1000 spectators and racers.

It's the only street race I ever participated in.

We were King of the Hill in 75.

Sidebar: Jay, I heard Clem Johnson is willing to sell the "Barn Job". If only I had the surplus coin...

I just watched the whole Big Willie interview and am so in awe of the man and his life accomplishments. A true American hero if there ever was one.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back