Chuck Hawk is the Man! (Downing's too!) (1 Viewer)

JL

Nitro Member
It is known that Chuck is one of the best bracket racers in Arizona or west for that matter. Yesterday, I was at the Lucas race at Tucson. Chuck was attempting to get into the Top Dragster field but didn't have enough power to get it done. Before the final qualifying attept, he asked someone if he could drive their car in the class. He had never driven the car from what the announcer said. Today he went out and beat 47 other competitors to grab the win!

Also big props to the Downing family. Dwight the Patriarch of the Bustin Loose clan and "truck driver" pulled out the win in Super Street. In addition, his grandson Nik went to the semis and son Keith went five rounds in Super Comp. This follows Keith win at the Firebird race last week. Keith finished 9in SC for 2006. I am hoping he can get that big number 1 for 2007. Three weeks ago, Bryan unselfishly pulled the big bullet from his Daytona so his brother could have another 10 mph... Tha Daytona is still getting dialed in, and will be there soon. God to see this family, who would give the sirts of their backs, do so well!

Last edited:
Yeah, heard about that. Good job by Chuck. He beat my friend Del Cox Jr. when Del went red by .003. Gotta love that class! Justin, time to get the Lauffer family to bring out the Paradise Express! :D
Anyways, I'll probably see ya in Phoenix for the 1st PRA race, if you're still announcing?

Yeah, heard about that. Good job by Chuck. He beat my friend Del Cox Jr. when Del went red by .003. Gotta love that class! Justin, time to get the Lauffer family to bring out the Paradise Express! :D
Anyways, I'll probably see ya in Phoenix for the 1st PRA race, if you're still announcing?

I will be there and will be holding the mic... I have seen the paradise express run like a bracket car, but that is when it was running in the 6.60's and it was a front motor deal. Maybe that car is coming out of retirement... Guess we will see at Phoenix! ;)

Justin,
I beleive the win in Tucson gives Dwight Downing a trip to the Jeg's All-Stars in Joliet to represent Division 7 in S/ST!!! We got special pit-pass stickers marking the tenth anniversary of Southwestern International Raceway, wonder how many races Chuck has won there in that span of time?

Justin,
I beleive the win in Tucson gives Dwight Downing a trip to the Jeg's All-Stars in Joliet to represent Division 7 in S/ST!!! We got special pit-pass stickers marking the tenth anniversary of Southwestern International Raceway, wonder how many races Chuck has won there in that span of time?

Good point on Dwight... It was a great weekend, as he also won the KD Canopy shootout on Saturday, the race and hopefully the Jeg's deal is wrapped up.

I will be there and will be holding the mic... I have seen the paradise express run like a bracket car, but that is when it was running in the 6.60's and it was a front motor deal. Maybe that car is coming out of retirement... Guess we will see at Phoenix! ;)

I've seen some spy photos of the car after the repaint somewhere.... :D That would be cool! I've always liked Scott, Kris, Jason and all the rest of their gang. Bunch of really nice guys.
Cool, hopefully I'll be able to make it out there. I'll probably be spectating again... had some personal stuff come up and the kids come first....

Joe,

Super E is no more. Top dragster is a bracket race, but they only take 48 cars, so you have to be fast enough to qualify. Then dial it in and let 'er rip! It is much more fun watching fast cars run fast. Chuck's car was looking like it was going to be about # 49 or 50, the car he borrowed was a BRAND NEW CAR. It belongs to Jon Bradford and as I understand it it had 1 half track run and 1 full run on it. Chuck had never even sat in the car until Saturday afternoon before the last qualifying session. Jon was driving his "old" car because he was comfortable in it and the new one was still in the shake-down process. I believe that it is officially race ready now-LOL

Alan

Having lived in Scottsdale for 2 years, but now back home in upstate NY, I'm envious of you guys already hitting the track out there. Am I right in noticing that this Top Dragster deal is becoming hugely popular, even on a national scale? Every week I see more events including this class, and a lot of the cars are really killer, almost a cross between an A or B/D and an alky car.

Joe,

Super E is no more. Top dragster is a bracket race, but they only take 48 cars, so you have to be fast enough to qualify. Then dial it in and let 'er rip! It is much more fun watching fast cars run fast. Chuck's car was looking like it was going to be about # 49 or 50, the car he borrowed was a BRAND NEW CAR. It belongs to Jon Bradford and as I understand it it had 1 half track run and 1 full run on it. Chuck had never even sat in the car until Saturday afternoon before the last qualifying session. Jon was driving his "old" car because he was comfortable in it and the new one was still in the shake-down process. I believe that it is officially race ready now-LOL

Alan

So it's Basically like Top Comp then?

You got it Joe, This year in Div. 7 they are running the Top Dragster class and one for door cars only called Top Sportsman.

Nunzio,

Season started? LOL Good one. So far this year I've been to 2 National Events, 2 Divisional events, 3 test sessions and a national open. I'm ready for Spring Break-LOL

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back