Coolest off track and historic drag racing photos ever (1 Viewer)

None of the following pics are historic, per se, but they're historic to me. My uncle Greg Brewton raced nitro dragsters and funny cars in the 70s and raced for years before that. Just a few pics of his 79 Corvette, Maybelline. He said the NHRA wouldn't approve the body at first. Then he sold the car after the '79 season. It resides in Florida now.

Greg is also an uncle to Mark Brewton of Tx275 fame.

Attachments

• greggbrewton.jpg
    greggbrewton.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 68
None of the following pics are historic, per se, but they're historic to me. My uncle Greg Brewton raced nitro dragsters and funny cars in the 70s and raced for years before that. Just a few pics of his 79 Corvette, Maybelline. He said the NHRA wouldn't approve the body at first. Then he sold the car after the '79 season. It resides in Florida now.

Greg is also an uncle to Mark Brewton of Tx275 fame.
That looks like a Steve McKracken body, I always thought they were wild looking.

these are great, I need to dig out the ones I have from Englishtown in the 70's
mostly F/C, some of Bunny Burkett........young

Thought I'd contribute. 1975 Supernationals/World finals at Ontario Motor Speedway when Big Daddy dominated and passed Gary beck for the championship. I have an identical autographed pic as shown. When Big signed it for me, he remarked "how did you get a pic of me with my hands so clean".

Don Garlits 001.jpg

View attachment 4118

1982? Hampton Raceway Long Island
This drag strip has had so many different names over all these years and I must admit Hampton Raceway was one name I had forgotten about.

I still have many of the newsletters from the 60's that they used to give out every Sunday telling you who had won the previous week and it had the latest news about the track which at that time was known as Westhampton Drag Strip

Thanks for jogging my memory.
Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I had 14 class wins there in the 80's, wish I would of saved the trophys and announcements in Newsday....even won $75 once

My avatar got me booted from the H.A.M.B. when they got their panties in a wad over my updating motivation to a modern LS platform. Their loss because I have some awesome vintage pics from Alton Dragway that I'll share here as I have time.

Greek in lane 1. Possibly THE historic 204MPH run?

aMeZkoW.png

Somewhere I have most of the names of these guys surrounding the car.

vCrlKCp.png

Well, now that I promised you some cool old pics from Alton, I'll have to actually have to FIND them.

Meanwhile, here is my favorite pic of Jungle.

keqT1EQ.jpg

And you gotta love ANY pics of an old altered.

c1wtbtD.jpg

OK, these are going to come slow, but I found the name info I was looking for. I caught up with Greek and his pals at Joliet a few years back and had them confirm names for me as best as they could recollect. Anyone who can definitively fill in the blanks, please do.

Left to right. 1 - Larry Lones, 2- John Krandenburg, 3 - Don Maynard, Ron Leek, 4 - Unknown, The Maistro behind the wheel, 5 - fingers over sunglasses unknown, 6 - taller sunglasses Richie Felts, 7 - cigar chomping camera holder Jack McGilligate(?), 8 - Flat Topped youngster unknown, far right 9 - Don Madison.

3hfLaEW.jpg

Again left to right. 1 - Bobby Vodnick, 2 - Rod Stuckey, 3 - Marilyn (nobody could remember last name), 4 - Larry Lones, Chris, 5 - Jack McGilligate, 6 - Richie Felts, 7 - far right unknown.

x4ToAGu.jpg

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back