Cool ebay item of Shirley (1 Viewer)

SDR

Nitro Member
Hard to believe it was found at a recycling center.

Have a look at item # 320152167217, I tried to post a link but it didn't work.

Why the heck would somebody scrap that? :confused: Like the seller says it would be damn cool for a bar or restaurant or... Look at all those autographs too. :eek:

That is AWESOME!!!!! What a piece of history!!!!!! That has to be from '82 or '83. Just to think those could be off the US Nationals winning, Winston Championship winning, '82 car. WOW! :eek:

Found in a recycling center... damn the luck of some people! :p

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure these are off of the '82 car. The "Shirley" is in a script type of letter style and the "Shirley" on the '83 car was in more of a square type letter style. Hopefully these get a good home and will be well taken care of; what a treasure!!! Man, if I would have won the Lottery.....

Dave

It is the '83 car, the driver's cowl was black in 83. In 82 it was pink as the rest of the car.

I think someone's ex-wife probably cleaned out the garage & threw it away for scrap. That's a shame it was thrown away, but what a discovery ! The old cliche'- another one's trash is another one's treasure.

Would make a great piece for a sports bar for sure.

And Force, Tommy Johnson Jr., Jerry Eckman, Tony Pedregon, Ron Capps, Ron Swearingen, & Al Hofmann.

Hard to believe it was found at a recycling center.

Have a look at item # 320152167217, I tried to post a link but it didn't work.

Is there any chance that the panels came off a "movie car" from Heart Like A Wheel? If my memory serves me correctly, I think that Unique Metal Products in San Diego built the bodies for some of the movie cars.

Good one Ray! Actually I think it's from the car that crashed. The movie car was from 81 a year or two prior. It's a damn shame that it would be sent to the dump.

It is the '83 car, the driver's cowl was black in 83. In 82 it was pink as the rest of the car.

You're right, it is the "83 car. I was just off by a year, the '84 car had the sqaure font on the "Shirley".

As far as the movie car, that car is the 1980 World Champion car and thankfully it's at Big's Museum.

These panels are from the '83 car. Rich, if you've ever seen the photos of the car after the accident, there wasn't much left and the body panels were not that straight.

Dave

Good one Ray! Actually I think it's from the car that crashed. The movie car was from 81 a year or two prior. It's a damn shame that it would be sent to the dump.

and the body panels were not that straight.

Dave

That's an understatement! :eek:

I don't know that you could have saved a lug nut after that one. :(

The 82 car did indeed have a pink cowl by looking at some of my old photos, but it is the same shape, so it could have been painted/replaced later.

She had an accident at Indy in 83, got into the wall pretty good, it almost went over on it's side. Could have been much worse. If I recall correctly, she had to leave the track and head for a shop in order to get the chassis straight enough to run the rest of the weekend. This body could have been replaced after that mishap before the next race? Hard to say I guess.

Pic of wreckage from Sanair-
9980200292706.jpg

Last edited:
One of the most famous crashes in NHRA history.

Note the Waterman Injector. I can only think of 3 cars off the top of my head that ran it, Shirley, Dan Pastorini, and Diamond Dave Miller.

Shirley1.jpg

Shirley2.jpg

Shirley3.jpg

The most sickening part of those crash sequence photos is the second one. That's her boot sticking straight up in the air (center of photo).

Dave

Wow..just wow!

How she survived that crash is beyond me. I know she was pretty wacked up for a while..but to even survive is a miracle.

The panels on ebay are from the '83 car, Shirley won Pomona and the Finals that year and runner uped to Richard Tharp at Columbus I believe. The car that crashed in '84 was the '82 chassis they had updated. The '83 was smacked into the wall at Indy, they had to fly in Al Swindahl and Chip Weeks. They did end up going a couple of rounds on race day. I believe the 83 car was sold to Michael Brotherton when he was just getting started.

Problems from that crash continue to this day. When Shirley had her knee done last year it changed the she walked. That put pressure on the shattered ankle, cause it to swell and get infected. In the last few months it has kicked up again. Very few people would have climbed back into a Dragster after a year and a half of painful rehab. After retireing she drives the riding mower at her house cutting 5 acres of grass........at slightly less than327 mph ( her best speed). It says 327mph. on the back of her Black Caddy SRX. At the track she goes up to the line on a Golf cart. In her book there are lots of photos of crashed car.

I had to go look just to see if it was the car that had Styx's Paradise Theater album cover on it (big fan). Sadly this one only has the logo and the words "The Best Of Times". Guess I won't pony up the cash!!!:D:rolleyes::eek:

As stated, that would be cool in a sports bar.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back