Converters in TA/FC (1 Viewer)

We ran the combo for roughly two years in Harry Clack's TAFC. Unfortunately, business trumped racing, and Harry sold the team in 2007 to open a new business venture.

We managed to run a 5.66/254 in Gainesville '07 with it, then ran some .70's in Houston with it, the last race.

Currently John Anderika and Wayne Morris in D1 run the Lencodrive combo as well. Carl Speiring and Jason Hamstra have won IHRA national events in Pro Mod with torque converters as well.

While less maintenance is certainly nice, that's not why the trans is run. It's mainly trying to harness the roughly 2:1 torque multiplication off the line. We were trying to use that to enable the car to pull a taller transmission in low gear.

You do give up some due to the fact the converter never truly goes 1:1. The converter we ran would only slip roughly 2% in high gear. It's amazing they can make converters that tight for a 3000 hp motor!

With all of that torque multiplication, it takes a different mindset than a clutch alky car. Off the line, it's closer to tuning a fuel car. We only left at 3500-4000 rpm, and had to immediately take 10-15 degrees of timing out at the hit. The trick was developing a timing curve, much like the fuel cars, then finding where and how fast to ramp the timing back to normal. Couple that with the fuel system, there's a lot of variables.

There's also the myth a converter car is easier to drive than a clutch car. Ask Mick which one is easier to drive. With the torque multiplication, the converter car is very aggressive in low gear. Also, when we got to the tighter torque converters, you couldn't short shift out of tireshake in low gear like you could a clutch car. When you short shift a clutch car, the clutch breaks free, slows the driveshaft, enabling the car to recover. Well, on a tight converter, it doesn't 'break free' like the clutch, it just grabs the motor, multiplies a little more at the shift, never allowing the tires to recover. I learned the hard way. You teach yourself to ride the shake as long as you can, then hit the button. Well, it took a couple of runs to figure out. I'd ride the shake out, finally tap out and hit the button, only to be greeted by harder shake. Your only choice then was to lift or hit high gear, and getting on high gear at 7800 doesn't do the et any favors...

The clutch combo is more forgiving. Ask Larry Snyder which is easier to tune. I don't think Snyder's switch was so much giving up on the Lencodrive/converter combo, as it was moving to a conventional combo to compete.

I still think the combination has potential, it just takes a car owner that wants the challenge of continuing the development vs. trying to be instantly competitive.

What company's converters were/are used for these cars?
What kind of service is required for the converters on these cars?

Great thread btw.

What company's converters were/are used for these cars?
What kind of service is required for the converters on these cars?

Great thread btw.

Paul,

We used a Neal Chance bolt-together the first few years. Then since we never changed ours, we switched to the welded style. We would make about 30-35 runs a year and send it back every fall for service. Never had it out of the car other than that. Same drill on the Lenco-drive.

Coan was the converter of choice from Mick and gang. Looking at it at PRI I can see why they liked it and why it was so bullet-proof. It is very beefy in my opinion.

I can't say how often Will and or Mick swapped theirs around. Probably more often than we did.

Will, as usual, put up a great post. The fuel curve is way different to keep it from hurting itself at the hit as he said.

Rapid

We started off running the Coan Super Mega bolt together, then switched to the welded Trans Specialties Spragless converter

We serviced the bolt together ourselves every race, mainly just checked and cleaned.

Mick sent this to me and asked me to post it out here...

I’m not sure how much info you guys are looking for but here goes…

Dad and I have run a Lencodrive Trans-Coan Converter combo since 2000 during our Pro Outlaw days when we ran a Spitzer dragster with a blown small block Chevy. When IHRA ended our class, we switched to the big leagues and an Alky Dragster. The new Spitzer dragster had a Screw blowered BAE with a Lencodrive. We ran that for 2 years with lots of progress just not a lot of success in round wins. We were competitive with other blown cars but had an issue with the injected boys. I had been begging Dad for a funny car, ever since Howard Moon told me real men faced their motors. We bought the funny car Howard formerly tuned at the beginning of the 2003 season and debuted mid-season. In 2004, we won our first national event in Chicago, wrapped up our first Division 3 championship and finished in the top 10 nationally all with the Lencodrive and Coan Converter. ’05 and ’06 were more of the same with 2 more Division Championships and 2 more national top 10s. 2007 was a test year; we tried a lot of different things but couldn’t keep pace with Frank and Jay. In 2008, we got a brand new, bad ass hot rod from Spitz, found a few more horses and got our first clutch. We finished the season with 2 National wins and number 6 in the Nation.

Now that you know the history, here are the details… We ran the Lencodrive, which we sell at Snyder Motorsports. The unit is bullet proof. I probably put it through more of a stress test than anyone else, and amazingly enough it lived. Since building new Lencodrives and servicing them is what I do on a daily basis at the shop, I would go through my trans every three races. It was usually a waste of time, just clean and reassembly. Most transmissions that come back to the shop with an issue are self inflicted, forgot to turn on the air bottle or hit the trans brake button in the shut down, stuff like that. There has been a lot of success by racers in Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, Quick 8 and Alky classes with the Lencodrive/ converter combo over the years… most of the guys that race Pro Top Outlaws, Jason and Kevin Hamstra (Pro Mod), Will Hanna (TAFC), Anderika (TAFC), Morris (TAD/ TAFC), just to name a few. Next season there will be at least a few more coming to play in the Alky ranks.

We always ran Coan Converters. They were all welded 10” converter. Some with sprages and some spragless, sprages were always quicker. We usually had 3 converters, ‘Old Reliable’ and 2 test converters. Testing never stopped. The converters were extremely strong. Issues would only arise if you shook the car hard; usually by the 3rd hard shake you needed to send it back to Jason for a little TLC.

I think there is more left in the converter and you never know what you might see us unloading in the next couple of seasons.

Mick Snyder
Snyder Motorsports

Wow.... What a boat-load of great information from people who have BEEN THERE!

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and made it at once, informative, educational and entertaining!

I had no idea the converters were being used to this extent!

My only other question would be, is anyone working on a lockup unit to get rid of the small-percentage of slip that remains at the finish line, or is that not considered to be a significant problem (2% admittedly, isn't much!)

Then again, I've heard that the blown alky motors are run 10,000 rpm.... and 2% of that would be.... uh...200 rpm... probably not enough to worry about. Tire slippage might be that much.... I dunno.

But, again, kudos to you all for making this such a fascinating thread!!! I appreciate it, more than you could ever imagine!

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Shanna, thanks for posting for Mick and please tell him "Rapid" says Hi. :D

Bill, good thread you started. :cool:

Rapid

Thanks, Randy, for the kind words!

If you see Vern, tell him I said Hi! (When I met him in '65, his race car was a street-driven red-and-white '55 Chevy Bel Air with two 4's on a cross ram! LOL!)

Bill

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back