Connie Kalittas' Airline Empire (1 Viewer)

Yes, most fans know that Connie has a decent sized airfreight business, but I don't think many appreciate just how significant of a player they are in that industry. Plus, they have some of the most extensive repair and overhaul facilities for large aircraft in the nation- doing a lot of work for other carriers in addition to their own fleet.

Perhaps most impressive is that the company in its current form has basically come about in just the last 20 or so years. Connie built it the first time (as American International Airways), sold it, and watched it be run into the ground in just a few years. So he bought the bones and started over. I believe in this iteration it is a much bigger player in heavy freight and maintenance than it was the first time around.

When I worked at Sky Harbor airport in Phx, I used to see Kalitta planes all the time. They park in the cargo area. He has done a lot of work for the Gov't. Sent planes to China when the virus first started to take people back to the US.

cliff.
For 47 years I was the west cost quality and procurement rep. on the west cost area for the worlds largest landing gear company. many times I would take parts to Connie at Pomona for his planes. and to see what he has built today is unbelievable. thanks for the post.

Larry Sutton---Lions Starter, racer (ret)

amazing how busy air freight is, especially since onset of pandemic. here is a great article about the near future of air freight, and how it involves kalitta air.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at the size and scope of Kalitta Air, Connie has always been driven for success....also, I don't know him personally, but I look at what a person does to determine their makeup and Connie has a huge and caring heart...now lol, not sure about back in the day

This made me think of when he owned "American International" and sold it off...got paid, then bought it out of bankruptcy and kept going

About ten years ago I worked for a company that manufactured portable electronic aircraft scales and one of my accounts was Kalitta Air, I never had the opportunity to meet Connie directly but my contact at Kalitta Air had nothing but good things to say about him and how he treated his employees.
I've attended several arrivals of fallen military personnel from overseas, all on Kalitta Air aircraft, and each occasion was extremely dignified.
Thank you Connie for all you do.

Sky Harbor in Phoenix has a special team that off loads the remains of fallen military. It will bring tears to your eyes. The team is all volunteer & they show the greatest respect for our heros.

I'm not surprised at the size and scope of Kalitta Air, Connie has always been driven for success....also, I don't know him personally, but I look at what a person does to determine their makeup and Connie has a huge and caring heart...now lol, not sure about back in the day

This made me think of when he owned "American International" and sold it off...got paid, then bought it out of bankruptcy and kept going

Don't forget his planes rescued American citizens stranded overseas when the pandemic started.

Doug Kalitta owns Kalitta Charters which is a small jet (Lear, Challenger, King Air, etc.) charter company. He also has several air ambulances and flys military deceased from Dover AFB to wherever the family requests. He does not charge the families for that service. He also owns Kalitta Charters II which flies several 727's and other smaller planes.
Flying is a Kalitta family business.

Didn’t Kalitta fly Doug Herbert home during a race weekend after Herbert found out about the wreck that took the lives of his two sons?

It was our great privilege to host Connie in London for our British Drag Racing Hall of Fame Gala in 2017.

And how did this titan of the global air freight industry cross the Atlantic? On Delta.

And my memory could be mistaken, but I think he flew Coach.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back