Congrat's to the 2008 POWERADE CHAMPS! (1 Viewer)

First off Bob...You can tell me and everyone here and every other Message board all day long until your blue in the face how The (3) Lotto winners are not CHAMPIONS in your book. But, fact of the matter is, that YOUR BOOK, Nor MINE..really matters in the grand scheme of things. HISTORY will show that in 2007, Tony Schumacher, Tony Pedregon, Jeg Coughlin jr, and MATT SMITH were the 2007 Powerade World Champions. Nothing in the history books will say that:
1) It was a bogus championship because many fans of the NHRA did not Appreciate the COUNTDOWN To THE CHAMPIONSHIP, and Do not Recognize these men as the 2007 Champions.
2) The Championship was the POWERADE COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP, Not the NHRA TOTAL SEASON POINTS CHAMPION..(NOTHING WILL CHANGE THIS BTW!)
3) These (4) Men don't deserve the title NHRA POWERADE CHAMPION!

Secondly, YOUR OPINION about Tony Schumacher winning last years championship is Based off of some sort of "MYSTICAL NHRA RULE" that states that "ANY COMPEDITOR WHO DOES NOT SHUT OFF THEIR VEHICAL WHEN INSTRUCTED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM COMPETITION FOR THE EVENT". If that rule exists in the NHRA RULE BOOK, and was not FOLLOWED TO THE "T" That's NHRA'S FAULT...NOT TONY SCHU'S! Should he have shut off the car when Told to...AS A LICENSED NHRA DRIVER I'D SAY I WOULD DO IT EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAY. Did he pay a very large FINE for not doing so...YES. But, once again, its your OPINION that he should not have won the championship...NOT FACT! Your opinion very much counts....TO YOU....and those who want to accept it, but it's not based on FACT! I respect your opinion as your opinion, but In this case...Your Wrong! Your Opinion will not change the books...award the trophy to anyone else, or change the number on any other car! All it will do, is let those, WHO WILL READ, that Robert Korreck believes that These Guys are Lotto Winners..not champions.

LET ME SUM IT UP IN A QUESTION TO YOU BOB:

If you were a driver of a A Pro Stock Car, and going into the last 2 races of the year you had a CHANCE of Winning the world championship, and you accumulated enough points to Win the Powerade World Championship, and all the STUFF that comes with it, When Tom Compton was giving you your trophy and check, would you DECLINE, and SAY..."I'M NOT THE REAL CHAMPION...I WAS JUST LUCKY, SO HERES YOUR MONEY...TROPHY....AND NUMBER 1...Because I don't deserve it???

All very true, just like Barry Bonds is the home run champ but we all know what the public opinion is of him. Just like Mr Bush is our president but we know what public opinion is of him. No I'm not comparing the powerade champs to that just don't' discount public opinion as meaningless and meritless.

Out of the top three pro champions Tony Pedregon is the only driver who had to secure funding, drive the car, pay the employees, obtain a CDL, etc, etc....He has the current record...can drop low e.t. @ anytime and everyone digs him in the pits...and stays out of the gossip....He earned the right to be called #1 as he poured more than sweat equity into his program...

By that Logic then WJ should win it every year, same with Jim Head.

All very true, just like Barry Bonds is the home run champ but we all know what the public opinion is of him. Just like Mr Bush is our president but we know what public opinion is of him. No I'm not comparing the powerade champs to that just don't' discount public opinion as meaningless and meritless.

Agreed PJ...But, 1570+ Signatures on the Petition of over 80,000 NHRA members does not exactly Convince me that the "PUBLIC" thinks the COUNTDOWN is The worse thing to happen to NHRA Drag Racing since Dallas Gardner was president!

Agreed PJ...But, 1570+ Signatures on the Petition of over 80,000 NHRA members does not exactly Convince me that the "PUBLIC" thinks the COUNTDOWN is The worse thing to happen to NHRA Drag Racing since Dallas Gardner was president!

OK but do you think that if we put a commercial about the petition on the tv broadcast that the numbers wouldn't skyrocket??? Blame me for lack of publicity, I tried but without being able to reach the masses the word wasn't able to be out

I'm not biased on the old versus the new points system, and I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, but what is the advantage to increased year end excitement? Will the increased excitement translate to better ticket sales next year, or did the TV viewership jump up, or what? I want to emphasize that I'm not playing dumb, trying to make a "statement", I seriously don't know.

I'm not biased on the old versus the new points system, and I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, but what is the advantage to increased year end excitement? Will the increased excitement translate to better ticket sales next year, or did the TV viewership jump up, or what? I want to emphasize that I'm not playing dumb, trying to make a "statement", I seriously don't know.

don't worry its an honest question

without getting into the reasons against it

the goal of such a system is to increase fan excitement, the thought behind it is that as the first cut to 8 happen people would be more interested, not those that are already fans but non fans. Then with the cut to 4 that would be another incident of bonus drama. The second part is that by trying to make it so that no championship is locked up before the last race that more people would stay tuned until the end of the season. There is a thought that viewership drops once the champions are determined (I havent' seen any data that shows that to be true but...) sorry I slippled

Anyway the ultimate goal is to make more money, they thought that this system would bring in new fans, which mean higher tv ratings and attendance figures which lures more sponsors and money and media to the sport with brings more people and so on.

I bet some of you are usrprised that I was able to do that without pointing out all the flaws in it :D

First off Bob...You can tell me and everyone here and every other Message board all day long until your blue in the face how The (3) Lotto winners are not CHAMPIONS in your book. But, fact of the matter is, that YOUR BOOK, Nor MINE..really matters in the grand scheme of things. HISTORY will show that in 2007, Tony Schumacher, Tony Pedregon, Jeg Coughlin jr, and MATT SMITH were the 2007 Powerade World Champions. Nothing in the history books will say that:
1) It was a bogus championship because many fans of the NHRA did not Appreciate the COUNTDOWN To THE CHAMPIONSHIP, and Do not Recognize these men as the 2007 Champions.
2) The Championship was the POWERADE COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP, Not the NHRA TOTAL SEASON POINTS CHAMPION..(NOTHING WILL CHANGE THIS BTW!)
3) These (4) Men don't deserve the title NHRA POWERADE CHAMPION!

Secondly, YOUR OPINION about Tony Schumacher winning last years championship is Based off of some sort of "MYSTICAL NHRA RULE" that states that "ANY COMPEDITOR WHO DOES NOT SHUT OFF THEIR VEHICAL WHEN INSTRUCTED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM COMPETITION FOR THE EVENT". If that rule exists in the NHRA RULE BOOK, and was not FOLLOWED TO THE "T" That's NHRA'S FAULT...NOT TONY SCHU'S! Should he have shut off the car when Told to...AS A LICENSED NHRA DRIVER I'D SAY I WOULD DO IT EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAY. Did he pay a very large FINE for not doing so...YES. But, once again, its your OPINION that he should not have won the championship...NOT FACT! Your opinion very much counts....TO YOU....and those who want to accept it, but it's not based on FACT! I respect your opinion as your opinion, but In this case...Your Wrong! Your Opinion will not change the books...award the trophy to anyone else, or change the number on any other car! All it will do, is let those, WHO WILL READ, that Robert Korreck believes that These Guys are Lotto Winners..not champions.

LET ME SUM IT UP IN A QUESTION TO YOU BOB:

If you were a driver of a A Pro Stock Car, and going into the last 2 races of the year you had a CHANCE of Winning the world championship, and you accumulated enough points to Win the Powerade World Championship, and all the STUFF that comes with it, When Tom Compton was giving you your trophy and check, would you DECLINE, and SAY..."I'M NOT THE REAL CHAMPION...I WAS JUST LUCKY, SO HERES YOUR MONEY...TROPHY....AND NUMBER 1...Because I don't deserve it???

OK Tim, I'll try and answer most of this stuff but I don't have time to write a book.

But, fact of the matter is, that YOUR BOOK, Nor MINE..really matters in the grand scheme of things. HISTORY will show that in 2007, Tony Schumacher, Tony Pedregon, Jeg Coughlin jr, and MATT SMITH were the 2007 Powerade World Champions. Nothing in the history books will say that:

I think the racing history books will record this farce. Unless you have a crystal ball I don't know how you can make this statement.

Secondly, YOUR OPINION about Tony Schumacher winning last years championship is Based off of some sort of "MYSTICAL NHRA RULE" that states that "ANY COMPEDITOR WHO DOES NOT SHUT OFF THEIR VEHICAL WHEN INSTRUCTED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM COMPETITION FOR THE EVENT"

It's all covered in section 19. When you join NHRA you agree to abide by all rules, regulations and agreements. That includes taking and following the directions from personnel. For an infraction they can impose a monetary fine, deduct points, ban you from the event or ban you for life.

What the NHRA fined Tony was lunch money. Me or you would have been out of there. He was disqualified in Vegas, remember?

When Tom Compton was giving you your trophy and check, would you DECLINE, and SAY..."I'M NOT THE REAL CHAMPION...I WAS JUST LUCKY, SO HERES YOUR MONEY...TROPHY....AND NUMBER 1...Because I don't deserve it???

I would tell the whole world it was not my championship. I would tell the whole world Greg Anderson was the true champion. I know this last statement opens me up to the ridicule of some but I answered your question truthfully.

Carry on Tim.

OK BOB...I will retort...

I think the racing history books will record this farce. Unless you have a crystal ball I don't know how you can make this statement.

Here is some Evidence to Support my Statement about how History records Stats....
Check out this link to Wikipedia...

Kurt Busch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the Facts about Kurt Busch, the 1st winner of the NEW NEXTEL CUP-CHASE POINT SYSTEM. In it, you'll notice that it states he was the 1st winner of the Nextel Cup NEW POINTS SYSTEM, however it does not state, (AS YOU THINK IT WOULD SINCE SO MANY NASCAR FANS HATE KURT BUSCH AND STILL DON'T ACCEPT HIS CHAMPIONSHIP AS BEING LEGIT) That his championship was QUESTIONED BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC! Just like when you look up the names Tony Schumacher, Tony Pedregon, Jeggy and Matt Smith, you'll get the same REPORT! "They were the 1st winners of the NHRA'S new COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP point system! It won't include that "However, Many people did not accept this new point system and thus and * has been placed on their title".

It's all covered in section 19. When you join NHRA you agree to abide by all rules, regulations and agreements. That includes taking and following the directions from personnel. For an infraction they can impose a monetary fine, deduct points, ban you from the event or ban you for life.

Having been a Card Carrying Member of the NHRA since my 16th Birthday, 1989 I am very familure with the Rule Book and the info in it. And like every other rule they leave many OPEN TO INTERPRETATION'S of the NHRA STAFF ON SITE. Just like you stated...they CAN Impose a Monetary fine..(WHICH THEY DID), deduct points...Which they did not...Ban you from the event, or ban you for life. It was NHRA'S Decision to Impose a Monetary Fine.

What the NHRA fined Tony was lunch money. Me or you would have been out of there. He was disqualified in Vegas, remember?

He was Disqualified for the Round win in the Specialty Event held during qualifying, however the penalty did not carry over to the NATIONAL EVENT ELIMINATIONS THE NEXT DAY...

I would tell the whole world it was not my championship. I would tell the whole world Greg Anderson was the true champion. I know this last statement opens me up to the ridicule of some but I answered your question truthfully.

You know Bob, I'd most likely say the right thing too..Just like John Force did with Ron Capps last year..."YOUR THE CHAMP IN MY EYES RON", but who got the check???? The #1 on his car???? Who is HISTORY GOING TO VEIW AS THE CHAMPION??? John Force! It is not my place to say what you would, or would not do..It's your choice. And if that is true that you'd GIVE UP THE CHAMPIONSHIP, then your the man! But, would you also give up all that comes up with it? If your ability to continue racing was dependant upon that BONUS money, the Bonus of your Crew, and bonus' from your sponsors for winning,...I seriously Doubt that you'd Throw that away!

OK BOB...I will retort...

Here is some Evidence to Support my Statement about how History records Stats....
Check out this link to Wikipedia...

Kurt Busch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the Facts about Kurt Busch, the 1st winner of the NEW NEXTEL CUP-CHASE POINT SYSTEM. In it, you'll notice that it states he was the 1st winner of the Nextel Cup NEW POINTS SYSTEM, however it does not state, (AS YOU THINK IT WOULD SINCE SO MANY NASCAR FANS HATE KURT BUSCH AND STILL DON'T ACCEPT HIS CHAMPIONSHIP AS BEING LEGIT) That his championship was QUESTIONED BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC! Just like when you look up the names Tony Schumacher, Tony Pedregon, Jeggy and Matt Smith, you'll get the same REPORT! "They were the 1st winners of the NHRA'S new COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP point system! It won't include that "However, Many people did not accept this new point system and thus and * has been placed on their title".

Having been a Card Carrying Member of the NHRA since my 16th Birthday, 1989 I am very familure with the Rule Book and the info in it. And like every other rule they leave many OPEN TO INTERPRETATION'S of the NHRA STAFF ON SITE. Just like you stated...they CAN Impose a Monetary fine..(WHICH THEY DID), deduct points...Which they did not...Ban you from the event, or ban you for life. It was NHRA'S Decision to Impose a Monetary Fine.

He was Disqualified for the Round win in the Specialty Event held during qualifying, however the penalty did not carry over to the NATIONAL EVENT ELIMINATIONS THE NEXT DAY...

You know Bob, I'd most likely say the right thing too..Just like John Force did with Ron Capps last year..."YOUR THE CHAMP IN MY EYES RON", but who got the check???? The #1 on his car???? Who is HISTORY GOING TO VEIW AS THE CHAMPION??? John Force! It is not my place to say what you would, or would not do..It's your choice. And if that is true that you'd GIVE UP THE CHAMPIONSHIP, then your the man! But, would you also give up all that comes up with it? If your ability to continue racing was dependant upon that BONUS money, the Bonus of your Crew, and bonus' from your sponsors for winning,...I seriously Doubt that you'd Throw that away!

Last post on this one Tim. You can't just give it away. NHRA would never consider you conceding the championship to another. But they cannot shut you up. The rest of it can't even be discussed. What are the obligations to the sponsor financially? What is my financial health? You can doubt what I would do but it really doesn't matter because I'll never be in that position.

I'm just a lowly bracket racer that depends more on consistency than speed. You know that at 11.49 I would have to wear a fire jacket and in 90+ degrees that ain't gonna happen! :D

For some reason, when the champs were crowned at this year's finals I didn't have the "feeling" I did in previous years. Am I bashing the Countdown? No. But next year they should either expand the "Countdown to 1" to 3 or 4 races, or get rid of it entirely and just keep the 8.

BTW Tim, it's not a good idea to try and prove your point with Wikipedia links. Nothing against you personally, but articles on Wikipedia are editable by anyone, so it's not completely 100% factual.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back