Congrat's to the 2008 POWERADE CHAMPS! (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
Congrat's to the 2007 POWERADE CHAMPS!

I know many here think that this years champions should be marked with an *, however, at the end of the day, 4 drivers and teams finished the season on the top of their game, and DESERVE the TITLE OF CHAMPION!

So, I'd like to congratulate:

TONY SCHUMACHER AND THE DSR/US ARMY TOP FUEL TEAM for Winning another World Championship. To Alan Johnson for winning his.....(11TH) Championship!!!

TONY PEDREGON AND THE "Q" POWERED PEDREGON RACING TEAM For winning the 2007 NHRA POWERADE CHAMPIONSHIP! Congrats to MATER MEMBER DICKIE V...(dickie I've seen your name on-line reading our posts, and I'd just like to say WELL DONE DUDE! I didn't think you guys would make it, but I was wrong, and am proud to say that I was! Great Job this year and congrats to your team Dickie!)

JEG COUGHLIN Jr. AND THE VICTOR CAGNAZZI JEG'S PRO STOCK TEAM:
Jeggy is, and will go down in history as one of the BEST DRIVERS IN THE HISTORY OF DRAG RACING! The work that Victor Cagnazzi did this season to UNSEAT the GIANT that is KB RACING, is very impressive. Jeg, to you and your team, congrat's on a great season, and finishing very strong!

MATT SMITH and THE TORCO RACING BUELL:
Matt, Mr. TRICKY RICKY, AMANDA and everyone on your team, congrats on NEVER GIVING UP, on FINISHING STRONG AND HARD, and coming to play in the finals when it was ALL ON THE LINE!

That is the definition of CHAMPION! The Ones who, when it's 2 outs and the bottom of the 9th, and your down by three runs, comes up to bat and nails a GRAND SLAM! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THESE TEAMS DID FOLKS! THEY ALL CAME TO PLAY WHEN THE CHAMPIONSHIP WAS ON THE LINE! They're will never be any * on their titles. They Did Not Cheat! They all Deserve their Rings and should be congratulated on them!

As for next year, Yes there could be some changes to the countdown, but you know what, I'm proud of the NHRA for taking a risk. Knowing that most of the FANS(DIE HARDS LIKE US NITRO MATERS) and Compeditors would not like the COUNTDOWN FORMAT. But, for the most part...It worked as they planned. Yes, it sucks for Greg Anderson, Rod Fuller, and Ron Capps. I respect every one of these guys for the hard work they have put into their jobs. But, in every sport, there has to be a winner! Thank you to every Pro Driver, team owner, Sponsor, Crew Member, support staff, shop personel, Truck Driver, Hospatality Worker, and NHRA Officials, for the hard work you've put into this season! It was a season of Triumphs, and Tragic Loss. Let's all wish for a better, Safer, and More Prosperous 2008 NHRA POWERADE CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON!

Timmah!

Last edited:
Great post Tim! Today's exciting race provided an exciting end to a year where the sport lost some great people. Hopefully, next year will bring the same excitement at the end of the year without losing anymore people.

2008?! Did I miss a year? Anyway, congrats to the 2007 champions.

Yes, Congrats To The 2007 Champions, and Congrats to Shoe, Jeggie, and Matt on your Wins today at the World Finals...

Congrats to Both Teams JFR and DSR for each Putting Three Cars in the Top Ten...

Congrats To Robert on todays win and Phil Burkart on his R/U... Phil, ya done good filling in for The Boss, and Robert, Jimmy, Hopsing, and all the guys, Congrats for retaining the #2 on the car... That's one Bad Black Mustang...

And Tony P, what can I say... It took guts to walk away from The Ride that gave you your First Championship and start your own Team... Dickie V, Thank You for believing in Tony's Dream and going with him. Thank You Quaker State for believing in them Both.

Congrats Tony on Winning The 2007 Powerade Championship in what has to have been the most tightly contested Funny Car Season ever... It's been one Crazy Season, You Done Good:)

d'kid

I had been interested, but not supportive of the new format until today. As of today, I'm not supportive, and not interested either. It is absolute BS. There was nothing wrong with the old system, while there is everything wrong with the new system.

I congratulate the drivers who won on their hard work. No less hard work than the drivers and teams who would have taken the titles under the old format. I also suggest a new and improved format for next year.

Throw all the names of everyone who enters in each class in a hat. Once for each event. Put in their name in the hat again for qualifying efforts. The #1 guy get his name in there 18 more times. Subtract one entry for each subsequent qualifying position all the way down to the number 17 and 18 entries. For every round win, put their name in there again. Keep it up all season long. After the last pair go down the track in Pomona at the end of the season, draw a name for each category out of the hat. Crown that person the champion. If the NHRA doesn't approve of that person winning the championship, toss it and draw again......................

Re: Congrat's to the 2007 POWERADE CHAMPS!

Old points system after Pomona Finals ---- The Count Down
Real Top 10:

T/F
1 Fuller 1607-------------------------1 Schumacher 3186
2 Dixon 1468-------------------------2 Fuller 3167
3 Schumacher 1462-------------------------3 Bernstein 3149
4 Bernstein 1441-------------------------4 Dixon 3135
5 Todd 1232-------------------------5 Vandergriff 2358
6 Vandergriff 1204-------------------------6 Herbert 2292
7 Troxel 1173-------------------------7 Todd 2273
8 Kalitta 1045--------------------------8 Bazemore 2182
9 Grubnic 1023-------------------------9 Troxel 1173
10 Bazemore 989--------------------------10 Kalitta 1045

F/C
1 Hight 1398--------------------------1 T Pedregon 3178
2 Capps 1383--------------------------2 Hight 3159
3 T Pedregon 1363--------------------------3 Scelzi 3092
4 Scelzi 1220--------------------------4 Capps 3067
5 Beckman 1209--------------------------5 Beckman 2358
6 Ashley 1191--------------------------6 Ashley 2337
7 J Force 1103--------------------------7 J Force 2191
8 Worsham 1050---------------------------8 Head 2163
9 Head 956---------------------------9 Worsham 1050
10 A Force 960---------------------------10 A Force 960

P/S
1 Anderson 1888--------------------------1 Coughlin 3217
2 Connolly 1803--------------------------2 Anderson 3173
3 Coughlin 1624--------------------------3 Connolly 3126
4 A Johnson 1270--------------------------4 A Johnson 3086
5 Line 1218--------------------------5 Line 2292
6 K Johnson 1147--------------------------6 K Johnson 2278
7 Stephens 1046--------------------------7 Morgan 2233
8 Gains 1015--------------------------8 W Johnson 2180
9 Morgan 989---------------------------9 Stevens 1056
10 W Johnson 963--------------------------10 Gaines 1025

hold the phone! you mean ROD FULLER RON CAPPS GREG ANDERSON, the real 2008 champs :D ;)

Number one, IT"S STILL 2007. Number two, Hight passed Capps. Number three, GET OVER IT. I don't care for the countdown format any more than the next guy, but it is what it is. And it seems it's here to stay.

Shoe, T-Ped, Jeggie and Matt ARE the 2007 NHRA Powerade Champions. Congratulations to all of them. And a special congratulations to Matt Smith for scoring his first championship.

Even though the mainstream media didn't seem to notice, the NHRA got what they wanted. The earliest title clinch was in the second round of the last race of the season, with two battles going down to the very last pass of the year. The fans were treated to a pins and needles atmosphere wondering what would happen. It's all good.

First congrats to all that fought for the championship. Right or wrong they won in the rules they had to play with.

I am not in favor of the countdown but I probably could live with it if they made two simple changes.

1. The cut off should be moved to the top ten. If you are in the top ten then you have earned it through the rest of the year.

2. Eliminate the second the cutdown. That was obviously proven when at the last race 3 of the for 4 lost in first round and Tony had a couple of lucky rounds to give him an insurmountable lead. Luck always plays some part in it but it should not totally control the outcome. [Not a cut at Tony]

Other than that I could live with it......

jim

and under the old system we would have had a race come down to the finals also. The countdown didn't gain and we ended up with 3 lotto winners and 1 champion.

I actually tried this weekend. I figured if this is what I'm stuck with lets see the excitement. I turned it on and the first rounds were 1/2 over, I didn't even make it through 1/2 of the 2nd round. I shut the tv off and didn't look back. I had no idea who won the titles until this morning when I looked on here.

In order to like the countdown one has to accept that the NHRA championship no longer means the best team. The teams that had the greatest seasons only won one championship. 3rd place teams won the others.

I have always liked nhra racing as it was win or go home. It it no longer about competition and sport its only entertainment now. Lets just go the monster truck route and have fans in the stands hold cards up.

My congrats go to the best teams this year Fuller, Smith, Anderson and Hight, which would have made for a huge story and with all the publicity Force gets a story that some mainstream media may have picked up on.

Oh well maybe somebody was entertained by this, personally I was disgusted.

I thought AJs comments on the starting line after the win and the championship summed it up pretty well.

Paraphrasing... "Thank you to the NHRA and their new system, without it we would have been out of the running 3 races ago" :eek:

that's odd I see 1 champ and 3 lotto winners.:p

That's funny these are the CHAMPS that every official record book will recognize as the champs. You should not take anything away for the teams playing within the rules and that is what you are doing by calling them lotto winners.

That's funny these are the CHAMPS that every official record book will recognize as the champs. You should not take anything away for the teams playing within the rules and that is what you are doing by calling them lotto winners.

Yeah, I guess if NASCAR has to recognize Kurt Busch, we'll have to recognize these champs. I'm rapidly losing interest in both.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back