Comp Plus Website (1 Viewer)

They were down for awhile ... looks like they maybe got ddos'ed. Some sort of malicious intent I'm guessing.

Yes, he said they are working on it and it should be back up soon. Ashamed they have to waste time and money on that crap.

I initially was a little leery about that page too. I got on this morning after doing the "I am not a bot captcha"

We were hit with a massive DDoS attack from a foreign entity. The page when you log on, is to ensure you're not a bot seeking to damage to the site. We were hit with attacks in the hundreds of thousands in just a matter of days flooding the server and forcing us to remain on the defensive instead of being able to report the drag racing news you guys deserve. When this happens, it takes away from financial resources that we have to cover drag races or create video content. All for what? Because we are a high-traffic website, we have long been a target. Most times we fight off the attacks and you never notice them. This time they brought a full head-on bull rush. So that's why we have that initial landing page. The last thing we want to have to deal with is that crap at Indy.

FYI, we will be making an announcement today that we will be bringing a team of 11 to cover the NHRA U.S. Nationals with seven notebooks and a full video and photographic team.

For 23 years, (anniversary on September 15th), we've given our all to covering this sport. That means a lot of time missed with our kids growing up and missing family functions, and while we aren't whining, what puzzles us is why people do malicious stuff like this. I guess there's a different breed of people out there we just don't understand what it means to be a decent human being.

We were hit with a massive DDoS attack from a foreign entity. The page when you log on, is to ensure you're not a bot seeking to damage to the site. We were hit with attacks in the hundreds of thousands in just a matter of days flooding the server and forcing us to remain on the defensive instead of being able to report the drag racing news you guys deserve. When this happens, it takes away from financial resources that we have to cover drag races or create video content. All for what? Because we are a high-traffic website, we have long been a target. Most times we fight off the attacks and you never notice them. This time they brought a full head-on bull rush. So that's why we have that initial landing page. The last thing we want to have to deal with is that crap at Indy.

FYI, we will be making an announcement today that we will be bringing a team of 11 to cover the NHRA U.S. Nationals with seven notebooks and a full video and photographic team.

For 23 years, (anniversary on September 15th), we've given our all to covering this sport. That means a lot of time missed with our kids growing up and missing family functions, and while we aren't whining, what puzzles us is why people do malicious stuff like this. I guess there's a different breed of people out there we just don't understand what it means to be a decent human being.
Bobby, it really sucks that you have to deal with that s**t, but I think I speak for a huge amount of people who are grateful that you do what you do. While I miss all the drag racing magazines that I grew up with, Competition Plus has evolved into a great platform, and the constantly updated content is why I'm sure I'm part of why you're a high traffic site! LOL.

this mite sound dumb, but why do hackers do this kind of stuff? can they hold sites ransom? or even worse put them out of business?
what a complete P.I.T.A.

When this happens, it takes away from financial resources that we have to cover drag races or create video content. All for what?

For what? For the same reason a dog licks his balls - because he CAN. I can't imagine an attack on a completely non-controversial website such as CP for any other reason other than it was just sitting there, ready to be vandalized. Everyone knows there's literally thousands of hackers who sit around and do this kind of thing just for the fun of it....the old teenagers-in-mommy's-basement thing. There's no way to stop it; you just have to defend against it as best you can.

Keep up the good fight, Bobby. You got a lot of support.

this mite sound dumb, but why do hackers do this kind of stuff? can they hold sites ransom? or even worse put them out of business?
what a complete P.I.T.A.
$$$$$. Lots of companies have paid ransoms in the past to get their info back. In a situation like Comp Plus their revenue stream depends on views. No views no revenue. Pay at this window to restore. If they attack individual PCs they will go after a big server much harder.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back