Comp Ain't Dead Yet (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Lookin' at the Comp field in St Louie. 33 cars, so they had a bump. 32 car show. #1 Q Doug Engels, D/ED, 7.216 ET and that is .804 under the index! This is a V-6 car with auto tranny. Wow.... First 9 cars at .70 under or quicker. .60 under was a dime a dozen. Tip of the hat to Terry Smith, A/DA at 6.408, .762 under. I think both Engels & Smith ran the quickest ever for their classes. Smith is running times that are A/D territory (does anyone even run A/D anymore?). Will keep an eye on Comp!

Lookin' at the Comp field in St Louie. 33 cars, so they had a bump. 32 car show. #1 Q Doug Engels, D/ED, 7.216 ET and that is .804 under the index! This is a V-6 car with auto tranny. Wow.... First 9 cars at .70 under or quicker. .60 under was a dime a dozen. Tip of the hat to Terry Smith, A/DA at 6.408, .762 under. I think both Engels & Smith ran the quickest ever for their classes. Smith is running times that are A/D territory (does anyone even run A/D anymore?). Will keep an eye on Comp!

I don't think many people care. LOL

I'd still be running Comp, if I had the money to stay competitive year to year.

So, I settle for a TD now [Speed costs money... How fast do you want to go? --- Medium!]

Hey David, if I ever come into lots of $$$, I will build you a modified roadster and you can run it in Comp or T/D or whatever you wanna run. That would be sooooo cool to see a modified roadster again. :)

That is impressive these days, when was the last time they had a Full field?

I used to love Comp in the 90’s with Bill Maropolis, the Chapparone Bros, Tom Haner, Johnny Gray, John Geyer! I think Top Sportsman and Dragster have stolen the class’. Thunder

Joe, you remember when Johnny Gray ran A/D & ran that monster pass, like 6.60's (?) at over 200? He had basically a Pro Stock motor and a lot of the P/S guys were watching to see how the car ran.

I care. It's one of my favourite categories.
Comp racers are probably the most under-appreciated bunch out there, yet perhaps the smartest. What they do with combinations others would never dream of tackling is nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately they don't have much fan appeal since they handicap race in eliminations - to the casual observer it just looks like a bracket race with some odd cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back