CHRR I am done Larry Sutton (5 Viewers)

StarLink Now $299

sutton

Nitro Member
The CHRR is next week, I am leaving Utah Tuesday going to Lions museum Wednesday (for the last time) going to CHRR at Bakersfield and a drag race (for the Last time) if you see a very old guy in a cowboy hat, in a golf cart at the CHRR please say hello. After 67 years at the races "TURN OUT THE LIGHTS THE PARTY IS OVER".:(
Larry Suttton---Lions,Irwindale,OCIR, etc. etc. Starter and racer (RET.)🤠

Last edited:
The CHRR is next week, I am leaving Utah Tuesday going to Lions museum Wednesday (for the last time) going to CHRR at Bakersfield and a drag race (for the Last time) if you see a very old guy in a cowboy hat, in a golf cart at the CHRR please say hello. After 67 years at the races "TURN OUT THE LIGHTS THE PARTY IS OVER".:(
Larry Suttton---Lions,Irwindale,OCIR, etc. etc. Starter🤠
Glad to see at 81 you are going to do all this on your own terms. I'm 15 years behind but I understand the sadness. I'm starting to understand..... My Dad at 81 could never have done this. Thank You Larry for all the knowledge you have shared here, looking forward to your wisdom for many more years. Wish I lived near to you would love to meet you. 🙂

Larry, I'm so looking forward to sitting and telling each all the lies and bs from the past 60 years. Man, I remember the day I met you at Irwindale and some dude walking around in black cowboy hat that was god on the starting line. Honored to have been friends. Dont forget breakfast at Zingos!!!!!!!!!!

Larry, I'm so looking forward to sitting and telling each all the lies and bs from the past 60 years. Man, I remember the day I met you at Irwindale and some dude walking around in black cowboy hat that was god on the starting line. Honored to have been friends. Dont forget breakfast at Zingos!!!!!!!!!!

Mike: Can you put Larry in the booth on Saturday at the CHRR? Maybe chat with him over the PA during Fuel car qualifying, and also during the half-hour or so down-time while all the cars line up for the Cacklefest? Us hard-core fans would love to hear that.

Last edited:
I too, am 81+ and completely understand that you have made that tough decision to slow down a little!

I am proud to have had you as a driver and a friend! You help Bill Butters and I in many ways that you might not be aware of over the early years and you always had our highest respect {Even though we covered you with oil in the lights occasionally <VBG>!]

I only half quit racing, when I retired from reporting for www.DragRaceCentral.com in December. My "new" partners [40+ years!]and I will be running our Top Dragster for a while longer.

I first saw you on the starting line in the fall of 1961, when I was a tire wiper for Butter's B/GD and hope you have an even better "retirement"!!

Just wondering Larry, you once posted that Carl Olson threw some parts at you at Lions.
Is this the deal? I know 707 is Carl's Div 7 number and that's you taking cover.
This is from Drag Racing Photo Greats magazine 1972. I have had the magazine since
1972. The picture had know caption.

1729181620181.png

Just wondering Larry, you once posted that Carl Olson threw some parts at you at Lions.
Is this the deal? I know 707 is Carl's Div 7 number and that's you taking cover.
This is from Drag Racing Photo Greats magazine 1972. I have had the magazine since
1972. The picture had know caption.

View attachment 14938
Yes Jim that was the the deal I commented on. the rear end broke. the fire bottle mounted on the steering shaft slipped and locked the throttle open. the clutch came out of the car. a pie shaped piece hit me in the chest breaking 6 rips and collapsing my lung.

Thank you to all for the comments. All good things must end someday.
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back