Chassis Changes on Race Day (1 Viewer)

Should race teams be able to substitute a chassis in the event that it is damaged to

• YES

Votes: 53 30.8%
  • NO

Votes: 116 67.4%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
Would this apply in the final round also? If it is a rule it would have to. I can see it now. Driver A gets to the final round in Pomona needing to win the race to take the championship. He gets to the finals and his opponent goes up in smoke. Driver A goes through the lights, blows a tire, then makes a right turn into the wall. Sorry (insert favorite driver name here), you lost that race and the championship because you hit the wall after the race was over.

Once they cross the finish line the race is over. The winner then moves on to the next race in the event. I know it may be semantics, but last weekend in Topeka was an event with a series of races to determine a winner, not "a race". In any other form of motorsports, once you cross the finish line it doesn't matter what happens on the other side. I've seen multi-car crashes after the finsh-line in other forms of racing but the results did not change because of the crash. Proffesional drag racing is an acceleration contest. Whoever gets to the finish line first(legally) wins.

Since the final is the last race the rule would not apply. It's all theory anyway. NHRA probably isn't going to change anything.

You guys are looking at this all wrong:rolleyes:If contact is made, MAKE the competitor go to a back-up chasis. Theirs or someone else's:D

I can see it now..........Joe Independant wins but hits wall. One of the juggernauts makes available their back-up chasis so Joe can run the other juggernaut that they are battling for the championship:eek:

Gee Mel, Sounds like what I said on the 17th post of JF Rant thread... great minds think alike...

but, with the safety gear changes, would Ashley/Guido pipes fit a Mike Dunn size dude?

1 Chassis 1 driver Simple. We don't need no more Eddie Hill Rules. Hitting the wall is not a reason to out a car. You cold Nick it. Like a few FC's did about 5 races ago.. no one was damaged bad enough to not to race. But in your way of thinking it would have DQ'd them and handed the win to the Loser.. DUH I think not. lol thats not drag racing.

Look every one is talking about safety and YES it's more important then racing. But if you don't feel your car or your B**L's are ready to drive then Don't.. there is always the couch and a remote waiting for you at home or in the trailer.

Ok so you say it's about the show. or TV or who's paying your bills. Ok good yes they should be a good reason to be there. But if your smart enough to ruin your car and hit a wall.. Then your Reward is LOTS of Replays on ESPN and the News and good photos in NHRA paper.

Ask Gilby and a bunch of other guys, if they come to the track with a 100% complete back up car in the rafters of the Trailer. I bet not. SOME guys can afford it and those are the guys who would want the rule changed.

BTW Good job Robert for keeping it from being worse. That was a Bad old JF fire from the past.. Worse one in a long time. Safety is #1

Lets ask Skuza

Last edited:
If you can afford to run top fuel, you can afford to have a spare chassis to use as a back up under those extreme conditions (i.e. crash, etc.) The bottom line is safety, and when those freak accidents/fires happen, it seems only fair that a team can replace the chassis. I bet if that happened to someone else's team, John would be the first to offer them his spare chassis to use. As far as the other types of racing not allowing it, they don't have 8000 hp strapped to there ass, and each sport handles things in a different way. Just my 2 cents.....

Todd Hoerner

If the chassis is in question in any way shape or form it should not be ran at all period. 75 minutes is not enough time to completely inspect the chassis completely 100%.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back