Charlotte comments (1 Viewer)

clay had a utube recently about the 'monday nationals' testing in vegas.......was excited about the test.
........ this team just can not catch a break

clay had a utube recently about the 'monday nationals' testing in vegas.......was excited about the test.
........ this team just can not catch a break
Not sure how patient rick ware is but maybe some cc changes? I like jim o,id like to see kloeber back now with a bigger budget

Quite a bit of water seeping up through the track in the shutdown area. I know it's not the racing surface, but you do still need traction for stopping! Most drivers appeared to be able to drive around it though.

I noticed the NHRA officials taking a good look at the pro mods that suffered Procharger explosions. Wonder if it will result in a new rule for a ballistic bag like the Roots blowers?

Unfortunately, they can't downshift to slow down because the transmission gears and shift drum are modified for drag racing. This modification is called an "Override Transmission" where the shift drum and the dogs on the gears are modified. This allows them to shift under full throttle without using the clutch. If they were to try and downshift it would bend the forks and destroy the transmission. If they were to abort a run they have to pull the clutch in when they let off of the throttle. If they don't, it would force that gear out and bend the shift fork. They use that same concept in Pro Stock cars also. Here's a picture of a motorcycle Override transmission. notice how the dogs have ramps instead of being square?

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a picture of Matt Hartford changing gear sets in a Liberty transmission. Notice how the dogs are ramped also? Same concept but in a Pro Stock transmission. Thats why when they run you never hear them lift off the throttle when shifting. Hope this helps.

View attachment 12512

Here's a link to the video.

t
Really informative, Joe. I learned something today about PS and PSM transmissions and I'm thankful for it. Thankful that the only fallout from that incident yesterday is a motorcycle that wound up needing a really big detail. Thanks again. 👍

channel surfing last nite, came across trans-am race from sonoma with amanda busick on the microphone.
wonder how many nhra races she does? or doesn't do? haven't seen jamie howe yet this year either?

Quite a bit of water seeping up through the track in the shutdown area. I know it's not the racing surface, but you do still need traction for stopping! Most drivers appeared to be able to drive around it though.
Kind of ironic how, after spending all weekend worrying about getting one little spot hundreds of feet past the finish line bone dry, they went ahead and ran the Pro Mod final after it had started raining (not saying either of those decisions were wrong though)

This kinda reminds me of the old "slick shift" trannys from the 1960's. I think the Mopar guys did it first, but what they did was to grind down ever other tooth on the gears, so driver could shift w/o using the clutch. Ronnie Sox could "speed shift" the trans using the clutch to shift, but he was so good at it that other drivers thought he had an automatic.
That’s another reason PS is far from my favorite class today. It used to be when it first started.
Ronnie Sox could out shift anybody, with Herb McCandless a close second.
And the almighty Hemis ruled.
Fun times for a couple of years.
But, if you can’t beat them, ban them.

My thoughts :
- The Flagman : Mistakes on this job are not new. I remember back in the 90's, a flagman directed Al Hoffman into the path of a burning, out of control funny car that
resulted in a collision. BUT, this was the worst incident I have ever seen. Like James said, this could have been really bad. I'm sure that if Steve Gibbs
was competition director, he would have taken a time-out to talk to the top end crew and make sure that they are aware of what there jobs are ! With
other recent incidents, there should be a re-assessment of this position and hiring of what I assume are temporary / local workers.
- The Procharger explosions : This was also scary. David is right in suggesting that ballistic bags may be in the future. With so many Top Dragsters using them, I wonder
if there is a big difference in the speed of these units in Pro Mod as compared to other classes ?
- Water seeping up onto the track surface : We attended this event in 2018 and there was a really long delay Friday morning after heavy rain the night before. We were
told then, that this area has a high water table and when the sun comes out, water can percolate up through the joints after a heavy rainfall.
- Amanda and Jamie : Like Mike said, I have heard Amanda do other motorsports, but for awhile now, Jamie has really moved around doing several different motorsports.
I don't know if it is their choice, or if FS1 is just trying to keep them busy and making income ?

anyone know what happened to dan mercier from canada? thought he was supposed to run @ charlotte?

I watched Millican's video of the Fri. night qualifying. he noticed liquid hitting the windscreen then the fireworks startled him to the point he thought the engine was exploding and he should lift, but in his head, it wasn't acting like an explosion.

channel surfing last nite, came across trans-am race from sonoma with amanda busick on the microphone.
wonder how many nhra races she does? or doesn't do? haven't seen jamie howe yet this year either?
I saw Amanda when I was at the Vegas race a couple of weeks ago. She looks great on TV and is really pretty in person.
My wife and I had walked to the burnout area after the TF final and Amanda was there.
I wanted to go snap a picture of her but my wife turned me around and told me to shoot a picture of the track.

She is much more interesting and knowlegable than the rest except for Bruno, he does a great job also. The mindless banter, explaning the same thing over and over each race gets old. Speak to the core group that knows the difference between a A/F car and a blown car, those that know the difference between a plate stop and an inline stop. I would love to see Amanda ride with Larry Dixon and get her take.

I saw Amanda when I was at the Vegas race a couple of weeks ago. She looks great on TV and is really pretty in person.
My wife and I had walked to the burnout area after the TF final and Amanda was there.
I wanted to go snap a picture of her but my wife turned me around and told me to shoot a picture of the track.
Maybe I'm lucky with the wife problem, mine hates drag racing. Actually, any kind of auto racing.

My thoughts :
- The Flagman : Mistakes on this job are not new. I remember back in the 90's, a flagman directed Al Hoffman into the path of a burning, out of control funny car that
resulted in a collision. BUT, this was the worst incident I have ever seen. Like James said, this could have been really bad. I'm sure that if Steve Gibbs
was competition director, he would have taken a time-out to talk to the top end crew and make sure that they are aware of what there jobs are ! With
other recent incidents, there should be a re-assessment of this position and hiring of what I assume are temporary / local workers.
5:27

My thoughts :
- The Procharger explosions : This was also scary. David is right in suggesting that ballistic bags may be in the future. With so many Top Dragsters using them, I wonder
if there is a big difference in the speed of these units in Pro Mod as compared to other classes ?
I thought Lyle Barnett said they spin 73,000 RPM. A titanium housing may be a better idea. Jeez, those were nasty.

* With the most aggressive internal step-up ratio in the ProCharger lineup of 5.63:1, the supercharger is rated for a maximum impeller speed of 72,000 rpm.Oct 5, 2021

Big Boost — The Pro Line Red Engine Gets A ProCharger F ...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back