Calling all the Geezers....Need your help! (2 Viewers)

Wow! I'm not old enough to remember this generation but I sure appreciate the great variety of dragsters. Cool pics!

Could "Ed Hill" in number 35 be THE Eddie Hill? He's of about the right age and started in Texas.

Wow! I'm not old enough to remember this generation but I sure appreciate the great variety of dragsters. Cool pics!

Could "Ed Hill" in number 35 be THE Eddie Hill? He's of about the right age and started in Texas.

I contacted Eddie Hill through his business web site and he was gracious enough to respond:
"My unblown Pontiac gas dragster. I built this using aluminum "H" beams for the main frame rails, and EMT (Electrical Mechanical Tubing)for the upper rails, using the engine as a stressed member. The front spindles, hubs, and wheels were from my Cushman three-wheeler scooter (that I had used to deliver newspapers). It weighed LESS than 1100 pounds, even though it had iron heads and block! It was the world's fastest and quickest unblown gasser. Later, after I added a 6-71 GMC deisel truck blower, I improved the overall gas elapsed time record from 9.40 to 8.84 seconds. "First in the eights on gas" That is me standing by my Buick Century V-8 (200HP) tow car. My dad bought the Buick new and passed it down to me at a good price."

Cool that Eddie responded.

Those are some great shots, Joe..they scanned well..nice quality.

There were a few of Bobby Langely's cars "Scorpion" and the "Bald Iggy". There are a few more that I have the names of but I have to dig in my data of books to find the names, etc.

Carl Stone's Rollin' Stone

354269737_cjSZB-L.jpg

That's Carl Stone's "Rollin' Stone" Deuce roadster. It's shown above with a drilled, stock Model A axle, which has zero drop so it raised the front an inch and a half compared to the stock '32 axle.

Quoting from Street Rodder magazine's article "Street Rod Car Show At Pebble Beach - The Monterey Weekend" on their site:

0802sr_15_z+street_rod_car_show_at_pebble_beach+.jpg

"Carl Stone's full-fendered Rollin' Stone Deuce won the Street Roadster class at the 1957 NHRA Nationals with a 109.05-mph pass in 13.32 seconds. Featured in Hot Rod and Rod & Custom, it was subsequently sold to finance Stone's next hot rod. A street car for a few years, it passed through several owners before Stone was able to buy it back in 1979.

After Stone died, the roadster went through several hands before it passed to Jerry Hill, who wanted Jim Smith at The Hot Rod Garage in Sand Springs, Oklahoma, to transform it into a high-tech rod. Recognizing this significant car and appreciating its racing history, Smith refused. Fortunately, Steve Kormondy had the roadster redone to resemble the way it appeared half a century ago, complete with Rollin' Stone graphics. Despite a few modern upgrades, we think Stone would have been pleased."

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
Roadsters.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back