Burton Smith is now $340M poorer! (1 Viewer)

Hey, Jeff, got the timing system for the NHIS dragstrip on the schedule yet? You can tell me, I won't tell anyone else...

Bruton (not Burton as the subject is spelled) will just use this as the excuse he needs to give one of NHIS's two Nascar race weekends to Las Vegas.

I don't think there's any doubt as to why he bought NHIS, he wants the fall "count down" date for Vegas. I had heard, read and hoped he might build a strip at NHIS but as this article states the legalities may be against him.

I guess it's now a "hangar queen," a term used in the military to describe a non-flying aircraft being used as a source of spare parts and and for maintenance training. By Bruton's NASCAR standards, the NHIS events don't draw enough spectators to make the "A-list." I hate to see it happen, had the good fortune to cover the first NASCAR race at NHIS, way back in the dark ages when I was working for a living in Bangor, Maine.

I guess it's now a "hangar queen," a term used in the military to describe a non-flying aircraft being used as a source of spare parts and and for maintenance training. By Bruton's NASCAR standards, the NHIS events don't draw enough spectators to make the "A-list." I hate to see it happen, had the good fortune to cover the first NASCAR race at NHIS, way back in the dark ages when I was working for a living in Bangor, Maine.

They sell out both races, can't do much better than that.

Yeah, but Bruton's definition of a sellout is 150,000 or more.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. The quote in that story from Smith feeds the idea that he is going to move the dates and abandon the place, a la Rockingham, and North Wilksboro. That's pretty much blinf speculation..but who knows.

One thing I do know is that if he wants to run a foul of that document that's attached to the deed for the track, he'll find out just how stubborn those New Hampshire Yankees can be....he he.

Larry, you're so old you covered the first NASCAR race period...didn't you? he he

Brian

Expect the second NHIS date to go to vegas for the countdown in 09.... thats what it was all about .... thats what the buy out was for nothign more...

Billy

There have been mumerous articles in the local Boston papers quoting SMI exec's saying that both races are secure at NHIS. So we will have to see.

There have been mumerous articles in the local Boston papers quoting SMI exec's saying that both races are secure at NHIS. So we will have to see.

Yeah.. but... Nascar has told Bruton and the world that the 08 date is set and will not change..but no comment on 09....

with that being out there.. knowing you have to have two races at NHIS ..wuold you piss off the customers by saying yeah we are going to move a date after 08 or say oh we aren't doing anything different .. it all stays the same....... how many people would show for the second race next year knowing it wasn't coming back.. why suport what will be gone....???

Brutons people know they will have bills to pay for the race they have to put on next year.. so why upset the cart till after you get their money.....

Billy

Oh you can bet Larry is right and to put it in Texanise Bruton will use it to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
My thoughts is mega facility with one going to Vegas while putting in a facility [ full service of course ] some where its appreciated. Like twenty miles away.
The present site with all the hooks will be tract homes or rat farms.
You don't grow very many New Nextel races and he will make a ton off two races blown up into major league entertainment venues.

I wouldn't be atoll surprised if Smith doesn't pop up somewhere in the NHRA pro series before its over.
It's pretty bad when trained NHRA observers can't even find the awards show on one channel and it gets no promos or even ink .
I mean jeez it's It's only the awards ceremony for the winners of the NHRA that paid untold Millions for time.
ESPN 2 is getting a really good deal but it could be a lot more profitable to them with proper promo.
I don't see why the series can't be rerun during the off season edited of course with driver interviews and Crew Chiefs putting new cars together and then there is testing at several tracks before the season starts.

It's almost a 48 week deal any more except for December.
Thats why Drag Racing needs savvy promotion types if it is to become mainstream.
Last real race was Nov. 16 here and apolexy is setting in already.
Maybe withdrawals from inhaling too many fumes this year!
Lets see San Antonio March 23 rd and Houston April 3 or is it viceversa not matter big blue truck will head right for the right track if I let go the wheel.
I got it trained like trigger!

Houston and San Antonio flip-flopped next year - I think they are trying to shorten the IHRA schedule a bit and eliminate the big gaps they had this year - also might get a little better weather by being a couple weeks later.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back