Burkart out at Worsham...Arend in (1 Viewer)

Terrible for Phil.[Based on performance Del should have fired himself and kept Phil]Now the problem is... who can pick up a really good driver like Phil??? Inquirying minds want to know..:confused: :confused: :confused:

We are all blinded by our love for this sport but in all reality it is a business. Dell made a business decision and from what I read he wasn't happy about having to make that kind of decision. If you have any experience with business you know that these decisions do come with the territory......:(

But on the good side I am really glad to see get a ride in a well funded car. He is capable of making the driver difference. On a personal note, Jeff and Windy are very nice people and worth stopping by and talking to. Oh if you want to find Windy look in the car hauler.:D Hi Windy!!!!:cool:

jim

Great news for Jeff, bummer for Phil.

I, like everyone else, would love to see this agreement benefit the Worshams and Jeff and Wendy. However, I can't see how a company that is trying to attact college graduates with huge student loan debts as a viable sponsor.
We'll never know how much money Erie has brought to the teams. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this will not last very long into the season. JMHO

Hmm, so obviously CSK isn't (or based on 2006 will not be) paying enough to keep Del and Phil there. I don't like this either - Burkhart is one of my favourite drivers and it'll suck to (I hope) see him somewhere else. It's good news though for Jeff who deserves a chance with a better-funded team since his CMKX debacle.

I'm wondering too how much $ Erie will provide too - I seem to recall at the start of the 2006 season hearing big talk from them but there only seemed to be enough funding to run a couple of IHRA and NHRA events. But with CSK paying most of the bills, then perhaps all Erie will have to stump up for is Jeff's salary and maybe the nitro... Good luck CSK guys and Phil!

I hope Phil finds another ride!! He's a great guy, a great driver, and is great to work with. He adapts to almost anything!

Hmm, so obviously CSK isn't (or based on 2006 will not be) paying enough to keep Del and Phil there. I don't like this either - Burkhart is one of my favourite drivers and it'll suck to (I hope) see him somewhere else. It's good news though for Jeff who deserves a chance with a better-funded team since his CMKX debacle.

I'm wondering too how much $ Erie will provide too - I seem to recall at the start of the 2006 season hearing big talk from them but there only seemed to be enough funding to run a couple of IHRA and NHRA events. But with CSK paying most of the bills, then perhaps all Erie will have to stump up for is Jeff's salary and maybe the nitro... Good luck CSK guys and Phil!

I beleive the deal was for full ihra, with a couple of N in there, they showed up at a couple of early Nhra races did well and thought what the heck lets go for it. Unfortunetly they didn't have the success and winnings that they had hoped.

Jeff's a great guy and driver, he'll do well with csk. I do hope Phil lands somewhere, teams shoe could sure use him as a force stopper.

I know it's a reality based decision, but it's still very sad! :( Phil is one of my favorites and I loved knowing that he could make some of the high dollar teams get a case of the nerves when racing him.

I hope someone is smart enough to pick him up as a driver and wish him the best of luck. Hope we see you back in 2007.

My thoughts exactly. Man I hope Phil gets another top level ride. Jeff is great and I am sure this was tough for the Worshams. They do seem like really honest and loyal folks.

Well, that is an excellent article from Rob. I could not have said it any better myself. I feel very bad for Phil, it's a damn shame. Finally got his full time ride after driving under funded part time cars (Rex Nix, Blomgren, Nitro Fish, etc) and now this. Hopefully he can pick up something for 2007.

It's unfortunate, all the people involved in this story are great people, and great for the sport. The real unfortunate story line here is that NHRA really needs to get a control on the cost of Nitro Racing. Hopefully Dan Olson will begin to get a handle on things................................

I, like everyone else, would love to see this agreement benefit the Worshams and Jeff and Wendy. However, I can't see how a company that is trying to attact college graduates with huge student loan debts as a viable sponsor.
We'll never know how much money Erie has brought to the teams. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this will not last very long into the season. JMHO

It's good to see the King and Prince bring a new sponsor on board. That being said, I just don't see how that average guy in the stands who has saved up all year and used his vacation to attend a race is going to relate to this.
We'll never know how much money changed hands here, but if it's not significant, you can bet the new sponsor's signage will be all but invisible from the stands and on TV. Should be interesting to see how long this lasts.
2nd quote: Mr. Young a week or so ago from 'new bernstein sponsor' thread.
if i have to say something nice; thank you for providing the
pessimist's point of view.

congratulations jeff
good luck to you and the worsham team in '07.

Well it's pretty obvious this was not about hiring the better driver, because Phil is clearly that. Who can bring the money to the table got this ride. I don't blame the Worsham camp, they have to look out for what is best for the company.
Hell, if I had a driver come to me and say, you have such nice Peterbilt's, I want to PAY YOU to drive one, I would about fall over and then I would hand him the keys.

However, I can't see how a company that is trying to attact college graduates with huge student loan debts as a viable sponsor.

They are viable the same way mortgage companies are viable. They pay the money upfront to get more money over the long term. If enough students consolidate their student loans, they will have residual income (not to mention upfront costs like application fees, loan origination fees etc) for years to come.

talk about selling out. their miserable 06 season had less to do with phil than it did with del.....just look at the standings. firing good employees isn't a solution to your problems. it'll bite 'em in the rear...just watch.

talk about selling out. their miserable 06 season had less to do with phil than it did with del.....just look at the standings. firing good employees isn't a solution to your problems. it'll bite 'em in the rear...just watch.

I think your looking at this the wrong way. This was strictly a business decision and it makes since. I dont fault Del in any way, it seems pretty easy to me. Lets see, we pay a driver to drive for us, or we get a driver for free who is bringing some big $$$ to the table. Every team would have made the same decision. Its unfortunate, but what alot of people forget is, RACING IS A BUSINESS for these teams. Well most of them anyways, all the big ones.

I've always enjoyed Geiger's work, in fact I check his column daily and I think this is his best work yet. Very good piece that accurately portrays the current state of drag racing.

Who knew?

Can't wait to read Bob Wilbur's next blog from the cruise. I guess he was not "in the loop" about the Worsham's letting Phil go. Their family is hurting for sure, and I would bet Del was sick over having to let Phil go, but I'm sure they were getting low on funds toward the end of this season. Did you all read that they were down to one extra blower for the Pomona Finals which is why Del only made that one additional qualifying pass to check out the replacement car. The car he blew up in qualifying looked like junk and probably not a whole lot of salvageable parts came off it. That had to be a pretty big write-off. Sorta how Del's year went though. Phil definitely had the better year, and it just barely got him in the top-10 at #8. I wish him luck in landing another driving gig with a good team, as Phil obviously showed he could drive the wheels off the car and could cut a good light all year.

Can't wait to read Bob Wilbur's next blog from the cruise. I guess he was not "in the loop" about the Worsham's letting Phil go.
A few blogs back, before the vacation, he mentioned something they were putting together for Phil. Something about us sending in pictures or something. He said he would give us the greenlight when he was ready.
:confused:
Here is a pic I took at Bakersfield the weekend before the finals
gg52.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back