Bristol 83 (1 Viewer)

WOW!!!
really shows how far we have come in safty.
you see the on board with ricky,look'd like nothin more than tennis shoes.

good find...thanks

What is even more bizzare is the fact that the camera man was in the car with him! That was not a mounted camera.

That was way cool!!! It's odd seeing all of the unsponsored cars, and to not hear sponsors names mentioned in the interviews.

Wow ... Bristol back when there were more people coming to the Drag Race than the Cup event. Bristol back when it payed more to win the Drag Race than it payed to win the Cup event. If I am not mistaken, it payed $25,000 to win Top Fuel and Funny Car back then at Bristol ..... which sadly is exactly the same as it pays to win Top Fuel and Funny Car in the IHRA today.

What an 8 car field though in Funny Car, that was ridiculous!!! Goose, Snake, Oswald, Beadle, Billy Meyer, Dale Pulde all seperated in qualifying by 9 hun. What was that liquid they would pour in front of the rear tires after the burnout but before the dry hops? I don't ever remember seeing that before.

It was also the first time I ever got to see Lee Shephard run (that I can remember, I am sure I saw him when I was a wee lad). It was cool to get to see him knock off WJ.

I think Conrad was heavier back then than he is now!!! And I had no idea Scott Kalitta had been racing that long, I didn't think he got going until about '88 or '89 with the funny car.

In any event, good stuff. I didn't mind that there was no commentary, but I think we would have been ok if there was, as Ken Squier was on the scene doing the play-by-play. I think someone got a hold of the raw footage and edited together and posted it online. Fine by me!

Wow ... Bristol back when there were more people coming to the Drag Race than the Cup event. Bristol back when it payed more to win the Drag Race than it payed to win the Cup event. If I am not mistaken, it payed $25,000 to win Top Fuel and Funny Car back then at Bristol ..... which sadly is exactly the same as it pays to win Top Fuel and Funny Car in the IHRA today.

What an 8 car field though in Funny Car, that was ridiculous!!! Goose, Snake, Oswald, Beadle, Billy Meyer, Dale Pulde all seperated in qualifying by 9 hun. What was that liquid they would pour in front of the rear tires after the burnout but before the dry hops? I don't ever remember seeing that before.

It was also the first time I ever got to see Lee Shephard run (that I can remember, I am sure I saw him when I was a wee lad). It was cool to get to see him knock off WJ.

I think Conrad was heavier back then than he is now!!! And I had no idea Scott Kalitta had been racing that long, I didn't think he got going until about '88 or '89 with the funny car.

In any event, good stuff. I didn't mind that there was no commentary, but I think we would have been ok if there was, as Ken Squier was on the scene doing the play-by-play. I think someone got a hold of the raw footage and edited together and posted it online. Fine by me!

The traction goop was VHT Traction Compund, You burned thru it and it made the tire stick like glue.

The traction goop was VHT Traction Compund, You burned thru it and it made the tire stick like glue.

Right on,I imagine back then they were still using bleach for the burnout,not water. Awesome video, haven't been to the new Bristol but the old one had the best spectator viewing of any track I've ever been to. Wish there was a way this could be downloaded and burned onto a disc......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back