Proof stick and ball style playoff systems work! (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
a team that won 83 games - barely above .500, wins the world series, against a superior team. A team that lost their groove having to sit around for a week waiting for the lesser team to finally win their series.

sure detroit blew it. but everyone knows the wrong team won.
I have a co-worker who's from michigan I told him a week ago - ' i hope the long layoff won't hurt your team'

well it did. nothing anyone can do about it, but my point is it's a flawed system that proves nothing.

so let's emulate it in drag racing shall we?

When you have a series go 4-1 and a record number of errors from a pitching staff, it's hard for me to understand how the better team lost.

At the professional level in most sports, on any given day, things can happen. In baseball, at least it is a series event as opposed to a single contest (like the Superbowl).

A good team makes its own breaks. Not that things do not happen, but over a series that can potentially go seven games, the cream usually rises to the top.

Sure the Tigers were heavily favored and rightly so, but people seem to have forgotten that in 2004 the Cards won more than a hundred games and lost in four straight to the Red Sox... The Cards were not as dead as people thought... The core of that team is still playing. I just think the "experts" sometimes have short attention spans.

In regards to drag racing.... I agree that change is not good in regards to the integrity of the sport. Drag Racing is not baseball (thank goodness).

Last edited:
At the professional level in most sports, on any given day, things can happen. In baseball, at least it is a series event as opposed to a single contest (like the Superbowl).

A good team makes its own breaks. Not that things do not happen, but over a series that can potentially go seven games, the cream usually rises to the top.

Sure the Tigers were heavily favored and rightly so, but people seem to have forgotten that in 1994 the Cards won more than a hundred games and lost in four straightto the Red Sox... The Cards were not as dead as people thought... The core of that team is still playing. I just think the "experts" sometimes have short attention spans.

In regards to drag racing.... I agree that change is not good in regards to the integrity of the sport. Drag Racing is not baseball (thank goodness).

I agree that with a series of 5,7 games it does typically determine the best team but if anyone thinks the Cards are better than the Tigers, there crazy. They had there 3 best hitters batting 0-34 or something like that going into game 4. Thats just crazy. And I will even admit that the Cardinals were better than the Astros last year when the Astro's beat them to go to the World Series. Matter of fact, the team the Astro's got to the World Series last year was the worst team they put on the field in 10 years (not counting this years team). Roger Clemens lost 10 games last year 1-0. He gave up one run and lost the game b/c our million dollar little leaguer's couldnt get a freaking hit one. Its crazy, but I dont like the Chase in Nascar and I dont like it in NHRA either. I dont think we should reward someone as being a champion that put together 4 or 5 great races at the right time. Who freaking cares. Championships are suppose to be about consistency over the course of the year. I dont know why the NHRA just dont cancel the first 18 or so races of the year since they dont matter apparently. I understand the reason but I really dont think its going to create a media buzz for outlets that dont cover them already and I sure dont think it will cause a whole bunch more fans to show up. I could care less if the chase was close or over at Indy, I am still going for the show. Nascar is different, and when NHRA mgmt realizes that, we might actually grow this sport.

Congrats to the Cardinals..the better team in this series won. Errors will negate the better team on paper every time.

A team that lost their groove having to sit around for a week waiting for the lesser team to finally win their series.

I agree that Detroit was actually a "victom" of their own success, if the week layoff was actually the problem, however it seems that they should have been able to regain their groove after winning the second game.

Looking at the big picture of the playoffs, MLB is getting what they asked for by increasing the amount of teams that make the playoffs, in it's pure form as it was prior to 1969, I believe, the teams with the best records played each other in the series, which had that happened this year, the Yankees would have played the Mets, but I think, because it all comes down to "more money" teams with lessor records get to "playoff" with teams that have better records and get a chance to outplay them to qualify for the championship. It sorta takes away from the fact that they couldn't outplay them all season, but "purity" doesn't seem to have a place anymore. As is evidensed by NHRA's new system, while I agree that to me, if someone has the championship sewed up by Indy, it takes the excitement out of the "Finals", but there should be a better way, Drag Racing is the purist form of elimination, two pair off, one winner, one loser. Football is like this in the playoffs, but again, lessor teams have a chance to "knockoff" a better team in one given game. But I think sometimes that is what it is all about, like the olympics, you have one shot for the gold, everything is on the line at this one time, you could probably nail the landing a million times in practice, but you have only one chance to "nail it" when it counts, when it's your turn in front of the judges and the pressure of the moment, so with this in mind. a season long points battle where a consistant team is rewarded with a title, seems fair, but anticlimatic, so even thought, drag racing is a weekly "playoff", I would love to see a "playoff" at the finals, where the best teams only compete, maybe, the top eight cars, after the season long battle, no qualifing, just paired as they are seeded in points, like the shootouts, so even thought you have lead points all year, on this day at the "Finals", this is your one moment to perform under all the pressure. To me this would make the finals actually mean something and sorry to those who say it's not fair that you could have one bad day and lose after you lead all season, but that's the same way it is in football, you could be 16-0, but in your one chance to beat the other team, you have an off day and lose, thats when you needed to perform best, man have I rambelled on forever or what.......................goodnight............................Perry Jr.

It doesn't matter who you think is the best team, when they're "man to man, and butting heads (thanks Arn Anderson)" that's when you know who is better. We can sit around the water cooler and talk all day long about it, but when the score is decided on the field, there is no debate.

They have a playoff system what drag racing is going to is some bastardize version of nothing.

The cards and tigers played, each game started 0-0, they didn't have to share the field with the Cubs and Pirates or other teams that were not good enough to make the playoffs.

Enjoy the 2006 championships, it will be the last time you see real champs

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back