Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

hellfirejim

Nitro Member
While reading about robert haight's accident he stated that he was working the brake but didn't know the brake lines had burned off. I find this interesting. Why are the lines not metal protected or of some material that doesn't melt or encase it within a cover or tube??????

I understand about parachute lines and such but the rear is solid mounted and so is the master cylinder couldn't something be done to protect those lines? Or did I miss something????

Thinking out loud.
jim

With no absolute knowledge of JRF's deep secrets, I'd tend to believe they run stainless brake lines like I do in all my race cars and, if they do, I'd question the statement that they burned off.

What about the flex lines at the front brakes? Not familiar with the type of master cylinder they run since I only had rear brakes on all my cars.

The soft lines on the cars are teflon covered with stainless steel wire braid...an industry standard. You can get them hot enough to melt the inside of the hose. There are typically soft lines on all four corners of the car.

We run the flex-teflon lines on the front of our Funny Cars only but they would, in fact, melt in a fire like that.

Someone pull out their rule book since mine is out at the trailer, and it should say in there under brakes... ;)

The last I knew, hard line was mandatory on the rear, but not sure about the fronts on a F/C as most I have seen still run braided/teflon... I know Cruz's rear are hard, but didn't think of looking at the fronts... :eek:

Good question though... Interested in the findings... :D

Yeah, why not put that orange fire-sleeve stuff on them like they do on jet engines? I do know from experience that stuff is heavy though. Stainless will burn at a hot enough temperature. But you have to think - if it's hot enough to burn the brake lines - there's other components & factors to be worried about besides just the brake lines themselves. I've seen aircraft brake fires hot enough to where the hydraulic fluid is burning. And if you really get hot, Aluminum & Magneseum burns too... class D fires.... we're talking loads o' fun.

Yeah, why not put that orange fire-sleeve stuff on them like they do on jet engines? I do know from experience that stuff is heavy though. Stainless will burn at a hot enough temperature. But you have to think - if it's hot enough to burn the brake lines - there's other components & factors to be worried about besides just the brake lines themselves. I've seen aircraft brake fires hot enough to where the hydraulic fluid is burning. And if you really get hot, Aluminum & Magneseum burns too... class D fires.... we're talking loads o' fun.

If you look at how long that inferno burned, I don't think it would have made a difference if the brake lines were fabricated from Unobtanium! Even class 5 fluid can only stand so much heat - it was probably cooked in the hard lines passing the motor. Once that occurs, the entire system is toast.

Many of the teams buy an aircraft fire resistant hose product that wraps around the metal line and its a good as it gets. (so I'm told) The store I remember is in Norco, Ca.

Just a thought but why don't they split the system so if you lose the front brakes you still have the rear????

just asking, as I imagine no brakes is pretty scary.

jim

Seems to me that in a fire that hot,the brake fluid itself would get hot enough to boil and be rendered pretty ineffective.

So if it is the fluid that gets hot and breaks down, can the Master cyl and such have a shield to protect it from the heat? Think this would work with a twin cyl setup. if the front gets hot and boils out the rear is still shielded.

Ya I know it is kind of picky but SOME brakes would better than none. Just might reduce the impact of a car in an accident.

jim

So if it is the fluid that gets hot and breaks down, can the Master cyl and such have a shield to protect it from the heat? Think this would work with a twin cyl setup. if the front gets hot and boils out the rear is still shielded.

Ya I know it is kind of picky but SOME brakes would better than none. Just might reduce the impact of a car in an accident.

jim

The brake cylinder is at the bottom of the chassis on driver's right - if fire gets down there, driver is in BIG trouble!
But, a dual master cylinder is a very good idea! Probably would add very little weight and could be a big advantage.

A friend of mine runs a chrysler dual master cylinder on his AA/FC for just that reason, it was enough for me to put one on my bracket altered, it's only a tiny bit heavyer than the regular wilwood or other single style master cylinder.

There just happens to be a topic on classicfunnycarboard that turned to fires and belly pans.

iB::Topic::powers Vette '81

By Dave Benjamin:

"The belly pan went from the front spoiler to the rear bumper, side to side, enclosed front wheel wells,under the headers, under the seat, etc. When it blew up the fire was all contained in the engine compartment with nothing coming in the drivers comp or out behind the spoiler on the chutes."

"Another note about fires as I have learned from the ones I had. When a funny car gets on fire the fire goes up under the seat and burns your butt. I have 3rd degree skin graft burns on my butt, back, and shoulders from the one in 78 at Ontario. If you put a panel under the seat on the chassis rails and on the sides of the chassis back to the rearend this can be prevented. The fire in 81 proved that and it really got a review in 89 when Gary Ritter drove my car at Sonoma. That fire was shown 5 times on the "And they walked away Part II" from many angles and you will see that there is nothing inside the car. Gary told me that he did not try to stop the car at first because he did not think it was a serious fire and he did not want to stop on the track and piss off the NHRA. He said he felt no heat so he didn't know it was bad. "

Last edited:
If you look at how long that inferno burned, I don't think it would have made a difference if the brake lines were fabricated from Unobtanium!

Unobtanium is currently banned by the NHRA as an item to be used in the fabrication of any part on a race car. Perhaps this recent fire might cause them to lift this ban. We can only hope...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back