Brainerd MPH (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Thought it was interesting that Top Speed of the meet was Brittany Force T/F at 334.98. She had Top Speed on Sunday at 334.40. I could be wrong, but I think the 334.98 is fastest speed all year for T/F. Fastest MPH for F/C was Tim Wilkerson at 334.40 during Q. Looks to me like speeds are getting faster.

Plus, the track was tight. Very few smoke shows, as what usually happens during the summer racing.
I hope Indy has good weather.

brainerd has had something like 7" of precip. since jan. 1st, which includes snow. ...... DRY is an understatement. weather finally broke. i heard track got about 1.5" friday nite.
didn't camp this year, only a day trip on a very cool and pleasant saturday. ...... heard fireworks were cancelled sat. nite due to dry conditions; not sure if they were allowed to have them
after friday's rain. ...... reports were that the zoo was as packed as ever which is great for track owner Kristi Copham; have to agree as friday Q on youtube showed
a good amount in stands on friday. personally i thought the place was packed on saturday. haven't seen or didn't take pic of main bleachers. clay m. was holding phone coming back on return
road saturday so i hope the bleachers/fans show up on his brainerd recap youtube video....... sunday crowd on TV looked good too, but seemed a little less than saturday?

Last edited:
good air and temps in brainerd always mean great e.t.'s and mph. been that way for a quite a few years. there were a few comments on TV show yesterday eluding to smoothness
and grip of BIR track. 3Q there were a few of them that were going for it, but lost traction. ...... i don't know what they do to the indy surface/track prep, but there's usually some
great numbers there. the last 6 races will produce some stellar numbers too.

Last edited:
brainerd has had something like 7" of precip. since jan. 1st, which includes snow. ...... DRY is an understatement. weather finally broke. i heard track got about 1.5" friday nite.
didn't camp this year, only a day trip on a very cool and pleasant saturday. ...... heard fireworks were cancelled sat. nite due to dry conditions; not sure if they were allowed to have them
after friday's rain. ...... reports were that the zoo was as packed as ever which is great for track owner Kristi Copham; have to agree as friday Q on youtube showed
a good amount in stands on friday. personally i thought the place was packed on saturday. haven't seen or didn't take pic of main bleachers. clay m. was holding phone coming back on return
road saturday so i hope the bleachers/fans show up on his brainerd recap youtube video....... sunday crowd on TV looked good too, but seemed a little less than saturday?
Seems the trend over the past several years is Saturday draws the biggest crowd.

forgot i took this.....sitting about 1/2 track in last section of big bleachers half way through Q2. this is about as many folks that you ever see on tower side.

Attachments

• IMG_9159.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 82
Getting back to MPH, does anyone else here hope we see a 340 at some point? That would surely be the last of any kind of speed barrier that the fuel cars would ever see. Obviously things have been done to keep it from happening after a few have come so close, but it would be cool if it could happen. Pretty tough now, I know...

maybe more realistically, when are the TAD's going to break 300?
the 5-teen @ 280+ runs are pretty spectacular......i don't know enough about the class if rules that would enable the nitro cars to pick up would also
benefit the alcohol cars? ........ i hope the 1000' rules for the pro cars can stay about where they are at. really glad to see wilk run that big speed though.

I think (uh oh) that if blown alky & injected nitro were able to run "unrestricted", that nitro would be quicker & faster. I could see A/FD go 4.90 (maybe quicker) and 290 with technology that is available now. Blown alky..... T/AD maybe 4.99 or a bit quicker at 285. My 2 cents.....

Never going to see 300 from the alky or injected nitro cars. That's a huge leap from today's very fastest, say 285. It would require some real technological advances, which would, yup, cost a boatload. I know a lot of people complain that there's no more creativity or experimentation like in the old days, but we've come to a point where making even the tiniest advance in performance costs a lot. The days of the low hanging fruit (performance gains) have been gone for some time.

Thought it was interesting that Top Speed of the meet was Brittany Force T/F at 334.98. She had Top Speed on Sunday at 334.40. I could be wrong, but I think the 334.98 is fastest speed all year for T/F. Fastest MPH for F/C was Tim Wilkerson at 334.40 during Q. Looks to me like speeds are getting faster.
She has gone 338.17 before the virus….

I remember reading once that if the injected nitro cars could use the Top Fuel-style clutches and direct-drive they would be in the fours. I'm not sure of the truth of that, perhaps someone can tell me if I was getting a load of crap haha!

I remember reading once that if the injected nitro cars could use the Top Fuel-style clutches and direct-drive they would be in the fours. I'm not sure of the truth of that, perhaps someone can tell me if I was getting a load of crap haha!
If given a little time to sort it out, that's certainly doable.

as reported on racer.com august 25, 2021
NHRA Camping World Drag Racing continues its strong numbers on the FOX broadcast network, averaging 0.48 and 735,000 viewers from the finals at Brainerd Sunday afternoon. That’s up from a 0.45/675,000 last week at Topeka, also on FOX.

If I remember correctly someone has run 340+ and that set off alarms at both Goodyear and NHRA. All 3 PRO classes have RPM limitors on them. It was mentioned last weekend that a couple top fuel cars were on their limitors. I know Goodyear is the reason for that. They have made it very clear to NHRA that the tire today has a 350mph rating and they want a certain mph safety margin. They are also not going to redesign a new faster tire. The current tire is the best ever. It is very rare to see one coming apart unless it is caused by something hitting the tire.

FYI, there was a pretty good tailwind out of the west on Saturday and Sunday that helped the MPHs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back