Bones Carroll Obituary (1 Viewer)

Muddy

Nitro Member
I'm sure many of you don't remeber or haven't heard of Bones of the Carroll Bros AA/FD from back in the day but they were some of the best and that's where "King" Richard (Richard Tharp) go his start.

Williams "Bones" Carroll(February 16, 1928 - April 18, 2014)

Send FlowersSend Sympathy Card View/Sign Guest Book| Create Memorial Website
Send Private Condolences
Funeral services for William “Bones” Carroll, 86, of Hicks, LA will be held at 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at the Prewitt’s Chapel Baptist Church in Hornbeck with Rev. Huey Haymon and Rev Nick Hilton officiating. Burial will follow in the Prewitt’s Chapel Cemetery, under the direction of Labby Memorial Funeral Home of Leesville.

Visitation will be held Monday, April 21st from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. at the funeral home, and on then Tuesday, April 22nd from 10 am until service time at the church.

William, son of Joette and Vesta Carroll, was born Feb 16, 1928 in Skellytown, TX. He passed away Friday, April 17th at his residence in Hicks, LA

William owned and operated Carroll Brothers Erection Company in Irving, TX for many years. He also was a member of the National Hot Rod Association racing team Carroll Brothers “Texas Whip”. Bones as he was known set seven different World records in Speed/ET during his racing career. In 1984 he was inducted into the Division 4 NHRA Hall of Fame.

After he retired he and his mother Vesta moved to Hornbeck. He was a member of the Prewitt’s Chapel Baptist Church in Hornbeck. He loved to hunt and fish and he loved “Story Telling”

He is survived by his cousin Butch and Gale Phillips of Hicks; brother, John Wayne Carroll of Thornton, MS; sister-in-law; Veta Deloris Carroll of Dallas, TX; Nephews, Michael Curtis Carroll and Robert Stephen Carroll both of Irving, TX; Nieces, Linda Kay and husband Rob Farrell of Pensacola, FL and Rita Gale and husband Mark Allen Faulkner of Clarksville, TX; Great nephews, William Curtis Farrell of Irving, TX, Timothy Ryan Farrell of Mina, FL, Zachary Austin Faulkner of Paris, TX and Joseph Curtis Compton of Irving, TX; Great Nieces, Leigh Ann Faulkner of Tyler, TX, Adrian Melissa Carroll of Irving, TX

I guess I am getting old. I find it sad that no one has responded to this post, so I am. I remember the Carroll Brothers very well. Never met them, or Richard Tharp, but saw them race a few times. RIP, Bones. You guys kicked some serious ass in your time.

Bones and Curt provided some of my milestone memories...as far back as the late '50's with their blown Olds Model A gasser. From there to the dragsters...all great runners. The most memorable for me was at Southland in Houma, LA around 1970...they brought a twin engine front motored Top Fuel dragster with a movable wing...it could change angle of attack during a run. Buddy Cortines was the driver...I was at about half track...when he stomped the pedal for the wing the front end went up in the air. He either reduced the wing input of the weight of two cast iron Hemis brought the front wheels back to the track...Buddy never lifted that I could tell at anytime. Truly, one of the most remarkable moments of my time in the sport. RIP my friend. MaC

Bones and Curt were true Texas gentlemen. Real characters and raced as hard as anybody. In his more relaxed m0ments Bones would hold court telling stories. No one left until he was done. Thanks you all for responding. Bones, may you RIP

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back