Blower restraint question (1 Viewer)

The Swegian

Nitro Member
When was it the use of blower restraint straps was mandated by NHRA? I want to say it was not long after that cameraman was killed by the blower that came off a top fueler that crashed at Indy in 1979.

I was working for Mike Kuhl Superchargers when he first started selling them. The design for his came from Jerry Darien. It took a while to go through the SFI certification, so perhaps sometime in '80 or '81. These were just a plate under the injectors, four straps and tabs hooked to the heads. Now, of course, it's a full blanket set-up.

INDY 1979
1979202DF.jpg

You know what I take from that picture is they were hitting openings in the walls in Indy 17 years before Blaine was killed. Way to go NHRA.

I was at Indy that year, man that pic just gives me a chill. A fuel bike rider died that year also, Ernie Rife? Not sure if I got that right. But I remember seeing an equally chilling photo of him at speed with no front wheel, again, it was a LONG time ago, so I may be wrong on the details.

I was at Indy that year, man that pic just gives me a chill. A fuel bike rider died that year also, Ernie Rife? Not sure if I got that right. But I remember seeing an equally chilling photo of him at speed with no front wheel, again, it was a LONG time ago, so I may be wrong on the details.

Ernie-Rife.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back