Bernstein (1 Viewer)

l hope KB has a horrible year, he is greedy (The Snake said that) and has no time for his fans (needs to take lessons from John Force). He retired a few years ago and lots of his fans purchased the Special Retirement Apparel. Now he's back to make more money for himself.

ls this true about Kenny Bernstein or just a rumour?

At the 50th Anniversary Of The NHRA at the 2001 NHRA Finals, Pomona. The NHRA Top Ten Drivers sat inside a marquee autographing special NHRA Top Ten Drivers photo cards for thousands of waiting fans. An hour after starting the signing and with thousands of fans still waiting KB got up and walked out, saying "l'm not wasting my time doing this."

l had travelled from England for this event (only two months after 911 - don't let terrorists scare you) and still have my NHRA Top Ten Drivers photo card, but when l saw the line there was no way l was going to be standing there for a couple of hours.

And what business have you run lately? I know if I took that old school mentality into my daily business activities I wouldn't have a job. I might run a business in a cutthroat industry compared to Bobby, but if I had handshake agreements with no contracts I would be putting the whole organization at risk because I don't have commitments to move product. A crew chief is much like this, without a successful crew chief your team is at risk. If Tuttle didn't want Jimmy to leave he would have a contract with him that had a termination penalty in it if he wanted to leave. I am done talking about this because some people just don't get it and are stuck in a rut with blinders on. No matter what Kenny is going to be a bad guy....

I have run a fairly successful business in a "Cutthroat" industry for 25 years
. . . using the principles Doc described. Printing is obviously not professional drag racing, and I agree that any team owner that wants to keep a good crew chief better have a contract.
But - it IS still possible to run a business based on the outmoded concepts of trust and respect. I still get a great deal of satisfaction when customers get excited about receiving a quality product at a fair price - Jim

"any team owner that wants to keep a good crew chief better have a contract.
But - it IS still possible to run a business based on the outmoded concepts of trust and respect. I still get a great deal of satisfaction when customers get excited about receiving a quality product at a fair price - Jim

These concepts are NOT mutually exclusive.

Whether it's an insurance contract or a professional services agreement (my first and second "real" careers) each party should know what they've agreed to and be willing to put it in writing.

THEN, there's less to argue about when $$$ involved.

The corrollary, of course, is that contracts have to STAND for something and be enforceable.

OK. The debate could go on forever...good business or bad? Looking at the reaction from fans, I would say bad PR = bad business. Even us old guys from the 60's can see that.

Now where did I set my bong...:eek:

How about the fact that Kenny has thus far fallen on his face and suddenly Brandon is the one who gets to sit on the sidelines this race.. Looks like KB stole juniors power plant. What a guy!

So.............how about Jimmy Walsh's stock??
Bad for "leaving JR in a lurch" or
Good for qualifying and going a couple of rounds first time out in FC ??

It didn't sound like JR's Team owner has any ill feelings towards Jimmy Walsh and hoped he had lot of success and hoped he even wins the Gator Nationals!

Judging by what Tuttle had to say Jimmy knows how to manage a team with limited funds and it is what earned him his chance at the big time so I think Jimmy had Tuttles blessing. :rolleyes:

A lot of people are still stinging by the change but if Mr. Tuttle doesn't have any ill feelings why should so many here have so many negatives feelings towards Kenny or Jimmy? :confused:

And what business have you run lately? I know if I took that old school mentality into my daily business activities I wouldn't have a job.
I've been self employed for over 35 years -- a successful construction business and the past 30 as a land broker. The old-school mentality is why I survive in a business with over 40,000 licensed competitors in our local market. They seem to come and go while I continue to enjoy longevity for some reason?

I might run a business in a cutthroat industry compared to Bobby, but if I had handshake agreements with no contracts I would be putting the whole organization at risk because I don't have commitments to move product.
I prepare contracts for every transaction and I NEVER even alluded to no need for them. I stated that I prefer to work in an environment where a handshake means as much as any paper agreement. Either can be breached/broken/ignored but it's my multi-decade experience that the man with the handshake agreement mentality is 99.9% less apt to renig. I, just this week, sold our vintage '72, low miles, Corvette to a gentleman I've never met before on a hand-shake with no deposit. Although, I'm not a betting man, I'll wager way more than the handsome price agreed for the Vette, that he'll be back next week to finish up as agreed.

I am done talking about this because some people just don't get it and are stuck in a rut with blinders on.
This rut is a wonderful place to be in my opinion. It's rewarding to practice business with folks who display honor and integrity. I'm often a witness to both kinds and I'll take these handshake guys all day long over the types who will say "business is business?".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back