Beating a Dead Horse! (1 Viewer)

The countdown is bad enough but to reduce the lead for #1 to just 20 points sucks. IMO, the lead of #1 should be based on a percentage. Having a 200 pt lead at the end of Indy is vastly different than a 10 pt lead. The 200 point leader should be rewarded for that stellar performance. Reducing 10 round wins to a 1 round lead is definitely not just. The rest of the 10 car field should be separated using the same method. Stellar performance should be rewarded.

Yeah, yeah, I know how redundant it is, but that dead horse is still alive!! Ask Steve Torrence!

True but in those sports you actually have to line up and beat other playoff teams. Here you can race non playoff teams to pad your points. My Detroit Lions could finally win a Super Bowl if they got to play non playoff teams like the Browns or Jets to advance instead of facing the Packers and Saints :)

Or you could get beat by a non-playoff team and be out. Imagine if the 18-0 Pats lost to your Lions?

By the way, the absolute best gambling advice I have ever gotten is to ALWAYS bet a team with a winning record against the Lions. Matt Stafford, as of today, is 6-51 as a starter against teams with a winning record. He is the gambling gift that keeps on giving.

Or you could get beat by a non-playoff team and be out. Imagine if the 18-0 Pats lost to your Lions?

By the way, the absolute best gambling advice I have ever gotten is to ALWAYS bet a team with a winning record against the Lions. Matt Stafford, as of today, is 6-51 as a starter against teams with a winning record. He is the gambling gift that keeps on giving.

That's why as a Lions fan we know to have a backup team to root for :)

Winning a national event needs to mean more. 1. A win and your in the countdown as long as you attempt qualifying runs at every event. 2. Wins are bonus points to begin in the Countdown.

Driver X can attend all the races, win a race and fail to make the Countdown. Driver Y can attend all the races, have zero wins but win five (for instance) more rounds cumulative spread out during the regular season and driver Y is ahead in points. But who had the better season? There should be a valuable reward for those hoisting the Wally and attend all the events.

obviously after all this time we are not going back to the old system. so the real question now is why nhra will not improve this stupid unfair countdown. last year was proof enough that excellence is not rewarded. and yet nothing from nhra to tweak the system to make it better. so what happens?? torrence brings in another car as a blocker..... will it help? who knows. but this would be uneccessary in a merit rewarding system

I didn't like the idea of the "Countdown" It was NHRAs way of emulating NASCAR. Although it has made things more exciting at the end of the year. NASCAR is dying a slow death, especially with those stupid "STAGES".
I hope NHRA doesn't get any more bright ideas of changing things to be like NASCAR!

I get what you are saying. But would you rather have the championship race be over in Charlotte or Dallas or winner take all in the finals at Pomona?

I want the team that worked the hardest and accumulated the most points to win...................

Welfare does not work to make things better

I want the team that worked the hardest and accumulated the most points to win...................

Welfare does not work to make things better
You didn’t answer my question I have no expense with no countdown I became a fan a about 4-5 years ago .

Ken answered the question.
And that’s why a lot of people don’t care for the Countdown; the winningest team does not always win the overall championship.
Last year in Top Fuel was a perfect example of the “welfare” system at work.

Ken answered the question.
And that’s why a lot of people don’t care for the Countdown; the winningest team does not always win the overall championship.
Last year in Top Fuel was a perfect example of the “welfare” system at work.
Maybe Torrance would’ve won the championship if he didn’t wreck he double stepped a couple of times and I think he red light in qualifying once after the wreck. But still would you rather see the the championship go down to the final round at Pomona or have it be over in Charlotte or Dallas. I be mad to if I had a huge points lead and it got smashed down to nothing.

Maybe Torrance would’ve won the championship if he didn’t wreck he double stepped a couple of times and I think he red light in qualifying once after the wreck. But still would you rather see the the championship go down to the final round at Pomona or have it be over in Charlotte or Dallas. I be mad to if I had a huge points lead and it got smashed down to nothing.
That's exactly what the Countdown does - it takes your season-long points lead and smashes it down to nothing. I personally don't care if the champion wraps up the championship early - it's better than a welfare system that creates a contrived champion. The championship should be won, not awarded - a subtle but significant difference.

Unless you leave before the tree is activated a red light in qualifying doesn't hurt you any.

Surely that can't be correct? The Lions have won more with Stafford there than they have in any other era that I can recall.

By the way, this is better conversation than the original intent of this thread.

Surely that can't be correct? The Lions have won more with Stafford there than they have in any other era that I can recall.

By the way, this is better conversation than the original intent of this thread.

Sadly no

He is 60-66 regular season as a starter 0-3 in the playoffs. He beats bad teams, (except the Jets apparently) but not teams with winning records.

End of the season he'll have some fancy looking numbers but they don't mean much. That's why his nickname around here is Stat Padford

All you guys complaining, every team knows how the countdown works and yet they still race. The smarter teams seem to work to stay in the top ten and spend time testing combinations throughout the regular season to help them be competitive in the countdown. Nobody gets "robbed" of anything. That statement would only be true if the NHRA suddenly switched to the countdown format mid season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back