Bakersfield march meet 2023 (1 Viewer)

I have been going to the races in Bakersfield sense 1957. I was runner-up in top fuel in 1987 at the MM to some guy named Don Garlits. the March meet is fantastic. I am looking forward to being with my son Bobby a crew member on the circuit breaker top fuel dragster. The Bowser's made top fuel dragster a 16 car show this year at the MM the first time in 20 years. looking forward to this race, rain or shine see you there.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter an racer (RET.)🤠

Last edited:
It's snowing on the Grapevine and more to come over the next 48 hrs.

It's going to be a challenge to ge up to Bakersfield from LA.

I thought the weather in N. AZ was bad, but Calif is getting slammed all over. We they get we get.

It's snowing on the Grapevine and more to come over the next 48 hrs.

It's going to be a challenge to ge up to Bakersfield from LA.
I live straight across the mountain from Famoso (about 40 no Road) miles and all of Kern County is in a Blizzard warning until Sat. PM including the Grapevine. Next week there is rain predicted until Wednasday evening, but should be only a slight chance of rain (no snow) until the following Monday then rain again. Sometimes they are wrong but they (TV Weather) have been right on for the last couple of weeks. The only problem will probably be Tech and Parking Tuesday and Wednesday.
Rain on Wednesday and then clear for the rest of the week.
Yes - That is good - But if you are coming from the South make sure that the 99 / 5 are open on Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday. I live 40 miles directly East of Famoso (No road between) and we have had more Rain & Snow in the past 3 weeks than probably the last 8 to 10 years combined. Sometimes when they shut down I-5/99 it is a Sea of Cars and trucks that is hard to get out of and go back. That stretch of road is the busiest in California and even without Snow they get Tule Fog with visability less than about 40 feet. Sometimes they even have lunch trucks driving around on the Bakersfield side. :) The alternate route on the coast is an option if needed but it is a whole lot longer. The good thing is they have the "Weeper" deal pretty much under control with the drainage stuff they put in so dry out time is shorter.

Roger, thanks for the heads up but honestly I dont think there is a racer from so cal heading to Bakersfield that isnt familiar with the Grapevine and the adventures it can offer on a trip to the MM.

I don't mean to come across as being negative and hope the race goes off without any issues. HOWEVER, diving on wet slick roads is one thing, towing a trailer over some of these mountain passes is another. Many racer (aside from the nitro teams) live this the mountain foothills like Roger and may not get out of their drive way let alone to the track.

I crashed our truck last April going to Famoso just south of Bakersfield after a rain squall got the newly poured concrete 99 Hwy. wet and we slid into the back of a minivan.

Just read in the Ventura Star newspaper that they reported earlier, "Regional four-day snowfall totals as of 10 a.m. Saturday showed Mount Wilson, elevation 5,700 feet, getting 35 feet of snow, that National Weather Service reported. Frazier Park had 23 feet." That can't be right. I believe 3.5' and 2.3', but not 35' and 23.'

Just read in the Ventura Star newspaper that they reported earlier, "Regional four-day snowfall totals as of 10 a.m. Saturday showed Mount Wilson, elevation 5,700 feet, getting 35 feet of snow, that National Weather Service reported. Frazier Park had 23 feet." That can't be right. I believe 3.5' and 2.3', but not 35' and 23.'

We haven't got any snow this season and I am about 1/2 hour outside of Philadelphia. The other day it was almost 70 degrees! Right now, It's 31 degrees and everyone wonders they get sick.

Read it was supposed to snow in Lost Angeles. It does that once in awhile but it would be the eqivlent of snow in Phoenix.

Well seeing as I started this thread I would like to thank everyone for the replies and useful advice. It is my first time at Bakersfield and if I make it there through these horrible conditions I will be over the moon. I fly tomorrow (Monday) and staying near LAX for the first night and then hopefully travel up to Bakersfield on Tuesday if conditions allow.
Come and say hi if you see me, I'll be the one in a Santapod raceway fleece trying to keep warm 🙂

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back