Baker makes quarterfinal exit at Gatornationals (1 Viewer)

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (March 15) - Matco Tools/Lend America driver Joe Baker drove his Mike Ashley Racing '68 Camaro Pro Mod to a quarterfinal finish in the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge at the ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals Sunday.

Baker qualified fifth and dispatched Pro Mod Challenge newcomer Billy Gibson in the first round of eliminations, recording a 6.209/239.10 in the Chuck Ford-tuned hot rod. Paired against Brad Personett in the quarterfinals, Baker struggled to get down his lane and gave the turbo-powered Personett the win, running a 6.335/232.91 to his quicker 6.234/234.66.

"Chuck had his hands full today because the track was really tricky," Baker said. "A lot of the cars in the other classes had trouble, too, and we just had too much power for what the track would handle. I don't know if it was the sun or the heat, but whatever it was, he just got out in front of me and after I had pedaled it, he was too far in front of me to catch.

"I think we all know on this team that we have the car and the horsepower to win, so I'm sure that when we head down to Houston in a few weeks, we'll be right back on top," Baker said.

Team owner Mike Ashley said, "Joe is a great driver, Chuck Ford is a great tuner, and this team is made up of winners. We're not winners for winning, and we're not losers for losing - we're winners, period - and I'm confident that the guys will do what it takes to keep things going when we all get to Houston at the end of the month."

Baker added, "I think we're going to try to squeeze in a test session between now and then so we can work out a few things. I know I want to get in as may laps as possible, and Chuck wants to try and work out a few things as well, so hopefully we'll have that chance. Regardless, though, we'll be ready come Houston!"

Next on the racing agenda is the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge event March 27-29 at the O'Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals at Houston Raceway in Baytown, Texas.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back