Baker lands number five; advances to round two in Gainesville (1 Viewer)

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (March 14) - Matco Tools/Lend America sponsored Pro Mod driver Joe Baker drove his Mike Ashley Racing '68 Camaro to the No. 5 qualifying spot today and advanced into Sunday eliminations in the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge presented by ProCare Rx.

Due to abbreviated Saturday qualifying because of track delays, Baker's Friday evening run of 6.026/241.02 earned him fifth position and paired him with Pro Mod Challenge newcomer Billy Gibson in round one of eliminations Saturday evening.

In their matchup, Gibson left the line extremely early and handed the win to Baker, who
went down the track after slightly shaking the tires, recording a 6.209/239.10 in the Chuck Ford-tuned hot rod.

"It threw me a little bit to see Billy take off like that, but once I realized he had gone red, I just wanted to see if I could get a decent number at that point. I double clutched it just a little bit, but it came around," Baker said.

Team owner Mike Ashley said, "I'm having a lot of fun watching Joe race the car, and the fact that we shook the tires like that in the first round had more to do with Gibson leaving early than the tune up.

"Chuck tuned me to two world championships, and I know he can take Joe and this team to the winners circle and the championship again. I think Joe is a great driver and am proud to have him in the car for us this season."

Baker will give up lane choice to turbo-powered Brad Personett in round two when eliminations continue Sunday afternoon.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back