Baker Finishes Strong in Vegas, ends year No. 5 (1 Viewer)

LAS VEGAS - Joe Baker drove his Joe Baker Homes '68 Camaro Pro Mod to a third-consecutive semifinal finish last weekend in the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge presented by ProCare Rx at the NHRA Las Vegas Nationals and jumped into fifth place overall for the 2009 season. Baker had five semifinal finishes on the season and qualified No. 1 one time.

In the weekend's main event, Baker took the No. 5 spot at the Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with a powerful 5.998 at 238.12 mph. He dispatched Rickie Smith in round one and Raymond Commisso in round two before falling to the turbo-powered Brad Personett in the semi's, 6.022 at 239.65 mph to Personett's 5.927 at 250.64.

"It was a great season overall, and at the end, we really started to get things figured out. We had struggled in the first half or so, trying to find some bugs in the car and our setup, but we finally got everything worked out, and really had a consistent car going down the track," Baker said.

"In the semi's, we knew we'd have to do something to try and beat Brad, because he was on a tear all weekend. He ran 5.92's like a bracket car, so we had to figure something out. I cut a good light on him - a .027 (reaction time) to his .077 - but there was just no way we could beat another 92, which is exactly what he ran. My hat's off to him, I know that team has worked hard all season trying to get their combination worked out, just like we have, and they had the quicker car this weekend, no doubt.

"Overall, though, like I said, it was a great season, and I'm really excited to get into 2010. The news of the Pro Mods becoming a full-on series is just huge for all of us, and I'm looking forward to what that brings. Roger Burgess did an incredible job all season long running things, and this agreement is just awesome.

"You'll see us out there next year, for sure. In the off-season, I'll be working on keeping things moving forward. I don't think you can really call it an 'off-season' just because we don't stop working on things. We've already started looking at new combinations for the engine and the blower, and I know that Chuck (Ford, tuner and blower manufacturer) has some new things up his sleeve. We'll just have to see what happens when we get back on the track in Gainesville next year," Baker said.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back