Back To Barona (1 Viewer)

glofria

Nitro Member
Surprised no one else has picked up on this.

So here is the list I have so far.This by far is going to be the biggest night at Barona Drag Strip. With Del Worsham Gary Densham John Hale and Jeff Diehl bringing their Top Fuel Funny Cars to race to the 330 mark, others will be on hand to hang out and sign Autographs like Ron Capps and Robert Hight. Eily Stafford will be piloting the Killer Crower Dragster. Neil and White will be there along with Nostalgia Funny car Driver Owner Will Martin and Geoff Monise with many other Nostalgia Funny Cars.The Witch Doctor will be attending along with Nathan Bugg and Jeff Arend who will be driving The Black Sunshine Fuel Altered.We have some fast Door Slammers paired up as well.Racing starts from 4pm and runs to 10 pm but get there early.The Jr Dragsters will be running in the morning so the track will be opened all day.

18671226_1553459291339003_622226144188669986_n.jpg

110mph in my little bracket dragster scares the $%%^ out of me at that place. The best thing about Barona is how close to the track you can get. The operator and staff of Barona are very old school-friendly and accommodating. That place really has the flavor of 70's era tracks like Irwindale and Lions.

Mark, I agree.

The really fast cars usually just run 330', due to the short shutoff. When we were putting our TD together, we went there to shake down and do converter tests. They have both ET ans Speed at the 330, so we had a lot of info, even shutting off early.

I hardily agree about the staff and facility!! Fun place... Very Ol' School, but a good biting track.

There is supposed to be a lot of 60's TF'ers "Cackling" too!

I wish they would lengthen the shut off area so the fuel cars could run the full 1/8 mile. I was told the track has the ability to be a 1/4 mile track if they wanted to spend the $ to do it. I'd say Barona is the premiere 1/8 mile track in Calif.

They about freaked out when I was licensing John Lombardo Jr there in my TA/FC back in 2008. I had to explain to them we were only doing burnouts and launches in low gear only.

Last edited:
Just for the record, Jet car ran 3.90@201 and the Witch Doctor holds piston track record 3.94@184 but you cant go fast there.

Mark, I agree.

The really fast cars usually just run 330', due to the short shutoff. When we were putting our TD together, we went there to shake down and do converter tests. They have both ET ans Speed at the 330, so we had a lot of info, even shutting off early.

I hardily agree about the staff and facility!! Fun place... Very Ol' School, but a good biting track.

There is supposed to be a lot of 60's TF'ers "Cackling" too!

I don't know if the Cacklefest cars will be there this weekend, but there is a big deal that Steve Gibbs is spearheading scheduled for September. Kind of a "FU" to NHRA in response to the mishandling at last years CHRR. I willing to bet you will not see many Cacklefest cars at this year's reunion.

Cliff, I have heard the same about going to 1/4 mile track length. However, what I understood was the best way to do so would to run the track in the opposite direction through the staging lanes towards the entrance. That would require moving the county road and about a bazillion cubic feet of dirt. Can't blame them for not wanting to spend the $$$$$$$$.

Personally, we have been there 3 times and have tag the wall once. Most likely will never go back.

Last edited:
We ran our little dragster their a ton and I licensed there. Nothing but cooperative, happy people. The only way you can lengthen that place with be to put the burnout box adjacent to Wildcat Canyon Rd. and run down through the staging lanes. The drop off at the end of the track elicits a few drops every time I run there. I maxed out my brakes just for that place.

110mph in my little bracket dragster scares the $%%^ out of me at that place. The best thing about Barona is how close to the track you can get. The operator and staff of Barona are very old school-friendly and accommodating. That place really has the flavor of 70's era tracks like Irwindale and Lions.

Ya get treated well at Immokalee Regional Raceway, in Southwest Florida. Sometimes, they even pass out free homemade ice cream. :)

As a bonus, you can sit very close to the starting line.

Decent shutdown area too.

I wish they would lengthen the shut off area so the fuel cars could run the full 1/8 mile. I was told the track has the ability to be a 1/4 mile track if they wanted to spend the $ to do it. I'd say Barona is the premiere 1/8 mile track in Calif.

Cliff; I'm afraid you were told wrong about 1/4 mile, near impossible due to property line. There has been talk of a North/South track layout, that is possible, but the lay of the land would mean a major financial investment. Many other factors also, one of which was the passing of one of the Chiefs who was the ramrod for the motorsport movement there. RIP Boxie!

Guys, the track is not going 1/4 mile anytime in the near future. Cost is just way to much money. Now, shut down, just like any other track if you have problems in the shut down it could end up ugly. If you ratio the distance for Barona vs Pomona or Fontana you have more shut down at Barona. See you all tonight.

Oh, and if the track was to go 1/4 mile it would be turned to the left and go straight through the circle track.

Still working to perfect the program, but word has it that everyone was having a good time and the show was exciting. Mike English made the trip to make the calls.

Worsham and Densham:

Arend and Holtz in AA/FA lane swap:

Still working to perfect the program, but word has it that everyone was having a good time and the show was exciting. Mike English made the trip to make the calls.

LOL. Yea, the trip for Mike English was so long his hair was still wet from the shower he took just before leaving home.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back