Baca to drive!!! (1 Viewer)

Or at least make sure Rod advances IF they meet in eliminations.........

Late.................Mitch

Great to see Baca back out there, even if it's only the last two races. He is kind of a local guy for us!

AWESOME!!!One of the great people in racing. I've seen him bring fans in the pit, show them the car and talk about running it. Like I said , a great person.
( Will we hear from Mike about David driving?)
Lee
Nitroclovers

Baca is one of my favs so it'll be great to see him back, bummer that it's Whit's ride though

Well good on Baca for getting a couple more shots in a fueler, and Powers for giving him a ride. It'll be great to have him back - I always loved and respected him for his passion for racing and his huge heart.

I wonder about DPM's statement that this doesn't mean Baca will be driving in '08 - something about Baca's business commitments. Come on, with everything we know about him, I think he'd happily find somebody to take care of business while he takes care of HIS business.

Yesterday was pretty eventful for us back here in the office. I had a stack of papers on my desk that I needed to go over with David, so about 10:45 I wandered over to his office. He's standing in the doorway with his cell phone glued to his ear when I walk in, and I hear "I'm just honered to be considered. I really do appreciate a call." He motions for me to sit down, put his hand over the phone and goes "You're gonna need to sit down for this." He goes back to answering some questions regarding logistics for flights, rental cars, etc.

After about ten minutes, he hangs up and goes "Well, I think that was David Powers."

Me: Why do you say "I think"

David: Because it could have been a cranker. It's really easy to believe it was Scelzi. In fact, Im sure it was Scelzi.

Me: What did he want?

David: He says that Whit is no longer with the team, and they want to know if I want to drive the car in Vegas and Pomona.

Me: It was Scelzi.

David: See what I mean.

At this time, my brother Brandon walks in to David's office. We three all work together at his company.

Brandon: Whats up guys?

Me: Scelzi's crank calling David again.

David: Im sure it was Scelzi.

Brandon: What did he say?

David: That he was David Powers, Whit is no longer with the team and do I want to drive the car in Vegas and Pomona.

Brandon: I heard about Whit. Are you sure that wasn't really Powers?

David: Nope. And I think the guy on the phone was smarter then Scelzi too. He had a few big words. Some polish.

Me: I still say it was Scelzi. He's crafty...that Oakley guy.

David: Lets go to lunch. I need to get a cold one and think this whole thing through. I'm pretty sure that was the real David Powers.

While we were at lunch, David gets another call. It really was David Powers, and he really was interested in having David drive the car the last two races. David is very aware that his presence here at the office is really important, as David carries 25 years of relationships in our industry. We really do need him to be available. He told Mr. Powers that he might have a hard time breaking away from the office to handle Matco appearances next year if there was any interest beyond two races (as was stated in the press release).

As we finished lunch, we agreed that IF there was chemistry with Baca and the Powers team, IF Matco saw that he was valuable to their brand, and IF Mr Powers was interested, that David could arrange his schedule here at the office to work with Matco's needs. The truth is we all love Matco, and there long time allegiance to the NHRA. And the Powers group is an A class team.

For now, we just look at the two races and make sure that we do a great job for Matco, Cat, and Hot Rod Fuller. Just to be considered for two races is a heck of thing. David misses his fans like crazy and can't wait to see them.

We're all buzzing back here at the office this morning. :D

Yesterday was pretty eventful for us back here in the office. I had a stack of papers on my desk that I needed to go over with David, so about 10:45 I wandered over to his office. He's standing in the doorway with his cell phone glued to his ear when I walk in, and I hear "I'm just honered to be considered. I really do appreciate a call." He motions for me to sit down, put his hand over the phone and goes "You're gonna need to sit down for this." He goes back to answering some questions regarding logistics for flights, rental cars, etc.

After about ten minutes, he hangs up and goes "Well, I think that was David Powers."

Me: Why do you say "I think"

David: Because it could have been a cranker. It's really easy to believe it was Scelzi. In fact, Im sure it was Scelzi.

Me: What did he want?

David: He says that Whit is no longer with the team, and they want to know if I want to drive the car in Vegas and Pomona.

Me: It was Scelzi.

David: See what I mean.

At this time, my brother Brandon walks in to David's office. We three all work together at his company.

Brandon: Whats up guys?

Me: Scelzi's crank calling David again.

David: Im sure it was Scelzi.

Brandon: What did he say?

David: That he was David Powers, Whit is no longer with the team and do I want to drive the car in Vegas and Pomona.

Brandon: I heard about Whit. Are you sure that wasn't really Powers?

David: Nope. And I think the guy on the phone was smarter then Scelzi too. He had a few big words. Some polish.

Me: I still say it was Scelzi. He's crafty...that Oakley guy.

David: Lets go to lunch. I need to get a cold one and think this whole thing through. I'm pretty sure that was the real David Powers.

While we were at lunch, David gets another call. It really was David Powers, and he really was interested in having David drive the car the last two races. David is very aware that his presence here at the office is really important, as David carries 25 years of relationships in our industry. We really do need him to be available. He told Mr. Powers that he might have a hard time breaking away from the office to handle Matco appearances next year if there was any interest beyond two races (as was stated in the press release).

As we finished lunch, we agreed that IF there was chemistry with Baca and the Powers team, IF Matco saw that he was valuable to their brand, and IF Mr Powers was interested, that David could arrange his schedule here at the office to work with Matco's needs. The truth is we all love Matco, and there long time allegiance to the NHRA. And the Powers group is an A class team.

For now, we just look at the two races and make sure that we do a great job for Matco, Cat, and Hot Rod Fuller. Just to be considered for two races is a heck of thing. David misses his fans like crazy and can't wait to see them.

We're all buzzing back here at the office this morning. :D

I cant even tell you how excited I am. I can hardly wait to see you guys. It is so funny I was just saying that last week in the favorite driver thread. For David Powers it is a great choice as David is truly an ambassador for the sport

David Baca was, is and always will be my fav. Top-Fuel driver.

I wore his T-shirt out (well Actually I grew out of it, damn Pizza).

Wish I could go to either of those races.

Great post/story Mike......

Good for David, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I happened to share a rental car shuttle from the airport with him and several of his entourage a couple of years ago at Vegas. He didn't know me from Adam but went out of his way to introduce himself and couldn't possibly have been nicer.

That is HILARIOUS that the first thing he thinks when he gets the call is that it is Scelzi yanking his chain!

Good for David that the call was the real deal.

Good for David, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I happened to share a rental car shuttle from the airport with him and several of his entourage a couple of years ago at Vegas. He didn't know me from Adam but went out of his way to introduce himself and couldn't possibly have been nicer.

That must have been an interesting ride! The first time I met David was when Roland was working for him and my girl friend and I were stuck in traffic I looked over and low and behold in the car next to us was David and Roland. Roland was driving and David was hitting him over the head. Hilarious! That was the start of a great week end. I believe it was his first race in the fuel car.

gary should take this two race opportunity to work david into one
of his 'scelzi says' segments.
congratulations to david & david.
let's get some mojo goin'!

I gotta say perhaps the best thing that came come from this is more stories from Mike Henkelman :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back