Awesome Article on Lee Beard and G.O!!! (1 Viewer)

G.O. is another that we lost too soon. That was a nice article. I remember being at the Finals in 90 and watching that final. I thought it was over for Amato, then, tire smoke, then a quick look at the starting line and saw the redlight.
Man, G.O. had a .020 average reaction time.... Does anyone know why the reaction times are slow compared to back then? Staging shallower, clutch set up, tires? Or was there really something under the "Terrible Towel"?:D

Terrific article indeed. I was at the '89 Brainerd event and saw G.O. go into that wheelstand and crash into the wall. It seemed a higher power was at work that didn't want G.O. to win the title that year considering he destroyedhis car the previous race at Sonoma. Take note of how the left side guardwall was set back a ways until about half track, where it curves back out towards the track due to that area of the track being the pit road entrance for the road course. Obviously the 1/4 mile isn't set up like that anymore but is certainly what contributed to the amount of damage the car sustained on that run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back