Australian Winters this weekend (1 Viewer)

bing

Nitro Member
Hi all, the Australian winters are happening this weekend. Its the biggest race outside the US. Over 500 entries and it also doubles as our finals. Bobby and a couple of the guys from comp plus landed here today so I would think you lot will get plenty of coverage of the event but I will post what I can on here over the weekend and will also report on how I see each pass of Top Fuel over the weekend on my facebook page. Will also have some pics to upload when I get back home on Monday.

If you have a fb account add me and I will keep you informed.

Cheers

Bing

I gotta apologise but there were internet problems at the track all weekend so I have not been able to post either here or on fb. I am at the bar at the airport so a quick re cap. The weather was playing games with rain forcast all weekend but we got through qualifying with only 1 major delay on the sunday morning. The first session on sat was great with 5 of the 8 cars running a .7x or better, not much happened in q2 as the track was around 70. Big delay sunday before q3, they warmed up at midday, then again an hour later and some even a third time and finally got down about 3 hours later and again a good session and especially so with the tune upchanges that would have taken place over the 3 hours. Again a couple of passes in the .6x zone.

Then race day today and the rain was the winner so we all come back and try again tomorrow but most of us have a plane to catch.

I took a stack of pics and will put up the best of them in the next day orso and i will also come back with some exact numbers. My brain has stopped working and i need some sleep!

Cheers

Great race except the fact Robin Judd got ripped off in the Top Doorslammer final round on an obvious rear wheel start. He should have been declared the winner or a rerun

Congratulations Jake Donnelly

Jake Donnelly ended his Junior Dragster career at the Winternationals in Willowbank, Australia, this weekend by becoming a 2X Australian champion and the first junior ever to win the John Storm trophy.

The prestigious John Storm trophy is awarded to the highest point’s earner across all drag racing classes from Top Fuel to Junior Dragster during the season’s national events. Quite an accomplishment to beat all the other racers from the various classes.

Watch out for this young man as he ascends the racing ladder.

Good job mate!

Great race except the fact Robin Judd got ripped off in the Top Doorslammer final round on an obvious rear wheel start. He should have been declared the winner or a rerun

The fall out from that is still happening. Went past the Bray pit 100 times asking for you bobby but you must have given them all a photo of me telling them if this guy asks for me tell him im not here.lol

Glad you had a great weekend and hope you come back someday.

What did you think of Top Fuel??? I thought they put on an outstanding show.

The talk of the pits (well the nitro pits anyway) is that its only a matter of time before we go to 1000 ft at all tracks to get in line with you lot. I find this disappointing as I dont think I will travel within Australia to see 1000 ft racing, id rather save some coin and come visit you lot once a year.

This weekend shows we dont need US tune up advise to run a number. Santo was on fire all weekend, 4 passes in the mid to low .60's was a good showing especially with the youngest crew chief ever??? (Santo jr is only like 19) calling the shots and a driver that hasnt been in the seat for over a year. Well done Dobbo!!

In all 6 cars run into the .70's or better and most of them did it atleast twice and low et was set in the final with a 4.64 and top speed was 320.

The big disappointment was Andrew Cowin, his old man doesnt come to the track much any more and they struggled all weekend rattling the first pass then smoking the next. They never got it sorted but I spoke to Andrew and he was upbeat as always.

If any of you are even thinking about coming here to see some racing i'd be looking at the nationals in Nov or next years winters as I reckon it will be one of the last races over 1320 in the world.

BTW I am starting to think Indy might be a real chance. I NEED to be there!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing the Winters - the weather is so unpredictable, not to mention the owners of the track are money hungry, and don't have the sport in their best interests (Just speak to the racers about this weekend past) I would say the Nationals in November like Darren has suggested, or the Nitro Champs, which in my opinion is the best race in Australia (It was this season by far) Plus the people behind the scenes at Sydney are some of the best we have in our sport over here. Also the Sydney track is not far from the city, public transport is better, and Sydney is a much more interesting city to visit, with a lot more to do - so you are in a win/win situation. Same can't be said for Brisbane. If you want to see some excellent race conditions, and a lovely facility, anyone is more than welcome to visit my home track on the west coast of Australia (The Motorplex) and if there is space available in my apartment you are welcome to stay, and save on hotel costs.

Darren, see you at Indy, if you can make it mate.

Regards,

Mike

PS: Pretty sweet effort on the photos :)

The fall out from that is still happening.

Sutton was declared the winner. I have nothing against Sutton, but Judd was robbed, and should have been declared the winner. This outcome tied in well with Robin's press release before the race, and you can see why he no longer wants to be apart of the sport, personally I don't blame him.

Sutton was declared the winner. I have nothing against Sutton, but Judd was robbed, and should have been declared the winner. This outcome tied in well with Robin's press release before the race, and you can see why he no longer wants to be apart of the sport, personally I don't blame him.

Even some of the pro ANDRA guys I talk to cannot believe what went on there. If you guys here think the NHRA do things wrong I invite you to come join us here to see how bad the sport can be run.

The worst part about it is our racers are world class. The Top Fuel guys put on an awesome show this weekend and doorslammer (pro mod) was of its usual quality but the administrators at both ANDRA and the tracks are too busy looking after themselves and its the sport that suffers.

And I agree with Mike, the nitro champs in May is the best event here by far. I also agree that Perth is the best city in the country but the problem with going to a race there is they run tf by itself and only a couple of teams travel so the car count is really low (4 or 5) but you will have a great time in Perth and Mike is a great host. And if any of you ever come to my home town of Melbourne I would be happy to show you around. I actually think there is a national event here in March a couple of weeks before or after the grand prix at albert park, which would make for a pretty cool trip.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back