August 5-The Day So-Cal Opened "The County" (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
It was on this day that Southern California was blessed with a new strip that would live in Drag Racing history. On this date, August of 1967, the fabulous Orange County International Raceway opened in East Irvine, California. It took a biggie like this to get Dad and me away from Lions, it was well worth it. Some shiny facility to say the least. More about the day in a later post,

The race featured classes below.
Top Fuel 8-car field-$1000-to-win
Funny Car 8-cars-$1000-to-win
Top Gas 8-cars-$500-to-win
Super Eliminator-$300-to-win
Competition Eliminator-$150-to-win

Spectator Admission-$2.00 Dollars

Today, August 5th, 2019 I remember this fine track, 52 years ago, dang I feel old sometimes.

TopFuel@Lions

Adjusted for inflation, it would cost $15 to get in today. Not bad.

Top fuel would have won approx $7,600.

I got out of the Air Force in 1968. Went to San Fernando every Sunday, then one night went to OCIR for the first time. They had a Top Gas show. Could not believe the difference between Fernando and OCIR. The track surface was so much better. The T/G cars that I saw at Fernando were running 1/2 second quicker, just cuz the track was so good. And, an announcer was on the starting line interviewing the drivers. Whoa! I moved to Arizona in 1981. Knew OCIR was gonna close, so went for my last time to the Div 7 race that year. Less people, time to roam around the track & take photos, Mark Niver from Phoenix won T/AD, I think his first Div 7 race win. That was the last time I saw OCIR, so kinda bittersweet. That track really set the bar for tracks everywhere. Still would look good today, as the tower was unique. I remember Larry Sutton being the starter there. When Charlie Allen build Firebird in Phoenix, I was so excited to see a modern track. Reminded me quite a bit of OCIR with the layout of the pits. RIP OCIR.

While I was in Seattle I watched the new realease of Once Up On A Time In Hollywood and Brad Pitt was wearing a Lions Drag Strip t-shirt in a couple of the scenes.

I was eight when OCIR opened......I remember sitting in the stands that were wooden seating.....looking beyond the wooden fence behind the bleach box and see nothing but flat land.......We lived in a brand new development in Irvine off culver drive...I think the development was called the ranch ?......The nights that we wouldnt go for nitro racing and the air was still......You could hear the nitro classes doing the burnout and the run....I swear you could hear the blower rotors whine at the top end......In 74 i was building my 72 el camino and would grudge race there wedneday nights.......A lot of good times......

Little more time tonight to recount that first day. This may be long, bear with me.

Dad and I normally would leave for Lions about 3 or so, for this new race at a new track that we had never been to obviously, we left the San Fernando Valley around 2. This day we took I-5 south, past Disneyland a what at the time looked like the "boondocks." We exited at San Canyon, stopped by this really cool old-school wooden screen door in the front country store for some drinks. Over the RR tracks and for the first time ever turned left into the entrance of Orange County International Raceway. After the left the entrance road and a couple of short turns, then went straight along side the RR tracks and some citrus company. We parked the ride with a lot of anticipation.
We walked up to this ultra modern ticket window, payed and walked thru the gate.

If you ever ever walked into a new track for the first time the feeling is electric, you wonder where to sit, where and what is at the concession stand and where are the restrooms. On opening day we decided to get pit passes, at OCIR the walkway wrapped around behind the starting line, I would stop and peek thru it to watch some cars and my dad would call to me to hurry up. LOL. We ended up sitting on the first grandstand, second aisle, top row, end seats, boom the "lions" race blanket was down!

What a place this was, amazing tower, race viewing, concessions, bathrooms and deluxe pits with acres of space. Lighting was awesome and the sound system was excellent.

The race had a monster attendance of over 14,200 fans that packed the joint. Also over 300 cars were in the pits, 300!! After some time dad and I explored the massive pits for quite some time, the "watering hole" that cooled down the hot cars was a show in it's self.

In Top Fuel, Bobby Tapia in Larry Stellings ride won over the Mongoose. James Warren christened OCIR with a record breaking and first in the 80's with a stunning 6.89!!!!! Tapia had top speed I think at around 223 or 224mph.

Funny Car was won by one of my Lions favorite's, Joe Pisano and his great Camaro won over "Rapid" Ronnie Runyon's Corvette.
Top Gas was won by the Freight Train with many over 200mph blasts defeating Bob Noice.

All in all it was one heckuva first night of many more to come at this historic piece of 1320. It would be November till we would be back, and little did Dad and I know how big that November race would be and the history and future events. The next Saturday it was back to Lions. I think we left about midnite getting home late by our Lions standards, well worth it!

Just to show you how good we had it and how rich Southern California was for big meets, check this out.

Lions Drag Strip
8-car Fuel Altered Show-Two, not one, but two, 8-car Junior Fuel Dragster Eliminators-Super Eliminator and Bracket Racing.

Irwindale Raceway
Match Race Madness-5 Separate Match Races-4-TF, 4-FC,1-Top Gas, and a Fuel Altered match race!

[email protected] Announcer

There have been times that I have sat in the Wild Horse stands next to the tower, and gotten a deja vu feeling, like I was back at OCIR. 5-6 years ago, Wild Horse had nostalgia F/C race. I was in pit side stands, around 1/2 way down, and seeing the cars go down track.... it was like a time warp, and I was back at OCIR.

I frustrate everyone in the car when I go past OCIR by requesting a moment of silence.... every time :)
Of course it's all built over now so you have to know where to look, but in the early days it was surrounded by orange groves..... the county's namesake. Can you even find an orange tree in the OC now? Now even the Sand Canyon gate is gone; the last remaining vestige of OCIR until a few years ago.

Same for me David, except for me it was Lions. Mrs. Top Fuel@Lions, when we would approach the Alameda exit of the 405, we could be chatting, she would see the off ramp and then...….it was silence as we both looked to our right if we were heading South, then each of us gave a quiet thumbs up as we passed. She just missed going to Lions but she knows how this place affected her husband. Most times she would have to pass me a tissue to sop up the eye moisture. That place was the powerfull.

TopFuel@Lions

Lions was a special place. I remember being in shock when it was announced it would close. Two things that stand out to me both involved Don Garlits. I saw his crash in 1970, that cut off part of his right foot. It scared me, cuz I thought he'd died. Then, one year later, saw Garlits run the "back motor" car. I went out to the track real early & there was Garlits and the car. I was so used to seeing front engine cars and this thing was so different. The day Lions closed, I was at the track when it opened, early Sat morning. Stayed there until maybe 2 AM. Didn't want to leave, but knew I had to go home. Well, I have photos I took there and just looking at them brings back memories. Also have the 3 DVD set Lions The Greatest Drag Strip. I would recommend that to anyone who was never at Lions. It is really hard to lose a track that you love. All the tracks I went to in SoCalif are gone, except Pomona. Even here in Arizona, have lost the old Tucson Dragway and Speedworld. Sigh.....

Lions was a special place. I remember being in shock when it was announced it would close. Two things that stand out to me both involved Don Garlits. I saw his crash in 1970, that cut off part of his right foot. It scared me, cuz I thought he'd died. Then, one year later, saw Garlits run the "back motor" car. I went out to the track real early & there was Garlits and the car. I was so used to seeing front engine cars and this thing was so different. The day Lions closed, I was at the track when it opened, early Sat morning. Stayed there until maybe 2 AM. Didn't want to leave, but knew I had to go home. Well, I have photos I took there and just looking at them brings back memories. Also have the 3 DVD set Lions The Greatest Drag Strip. I would recommend that to anyone who was never at Lions. It is really hard to lose a track that you love. All the tracks I went to in SoCalif are gone, except Pomona. Even here in Arizona, have lost the old Tucson Dragway and Speedworld. Sigh.....

The feeling is thw same here in the east, for York US30. :(

Asphalt tracks, no concrete, no reversers in dragsters, dry hops, Warren-Coburn-Miller, some Pro Comp cars.... Thanks Gino, this was cool!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back