Ashley Force (1 Viewer)

George, you are clueless when it comes to the last paragraph of your last post as well!! What does that even mean?? I was with Del when he licensed and tested at Bakersfield... your POINT?? :confused:

Does attending Del's test buy you some intelligence or any kind of respect on the subject?
Please spare me the gloss...

It's pretty simple to understand Ray, even a caveman can do it.....
Better yet I'll explain. The car Del first drove waaay back when wouldn't qualify in any AA/FC field today. That means it wasn't making the kind of power that Ashley is dealing with today.

I'm so glad some of you people have all the answers!!!

Is it the Caveman mentality or what? All I hear is "Hillary shouldn't be allowed to race" Erica Enders shouldn't be allowed to race" now "Ashley Force shouldn't be allowed to race" I guess by your standards then Shirley Muldowney should never have been allowed to race. She blew up a few cars and ended up in the Hospital on several occasions.

I'm so tired of all the bashing..

Accidents happen!! It's the nature of the beast. If not for the risk would it still be fun??

OK I'm off my soap box.

Despite the JFR decision to race any of the team or Ashley or have John show up to tune in TX or whatever they do, there will be folks on both sides of the fence saying it was too soon to jump back in, not enough time for healing, should've gotten right back in the game out of respect for what Eric would've wanted, should/shouldn't do this or that . . .

. . . some things are for sure;

their decisions are going to be criticized by some,
they are going to be applauded by some,
things will never be the same again without Eric,
there will be those who give credit for wins or losses to Eric,
there will even be some who blame future losses on JFRs decisions,
and
Terry Jones will continue to seek JFR threads to get his shots in about Ashley not being fit to drive F/C.
. . . these things are a given.

Either way, I support the team's decision-making since they are the only ones close enough to the situation and people effected by Eric's tragic passing to know what's best for them. I believe many of us would be very unwise to second-guess anything they decide from our vantage point over the collective wisdom that is JFR & the Medlen family making such decisions. I've already agreed with whatever they decide and would want the same support if it were my family/team involved.

GREAT POST BOBBY! im with ya, sit out, race, test, whatever, i will support jfr racing in whatever they do. our hearts ache, i cant imagine the medlen family and the entire jfr team. rip eric! :(

Does attending Del's test buy you some intelligence or any kind of respect on the subject?
Please spare me the gloss...

It's pretty simple to understand Ray, even a caveman can do it.....
Better yet I'll explain. The car Del first drove waaay back when wouldn't qualify in any AA/FC field today. That means it wasn't making the kind of power that Ashley is dealing with today.
I really don't think the links that I am attaching of your posts will make you see things any different... But I am going to anyway... Anyone could have driven a AA/FC in '91'?? O.K.:rolleyes: Crazy fast now?? O.K. :rolleyes: 100 TIMES MORE DANGEROUS!! Oh O.K. :rolleyes: Your Knowledge, Experience, and Intelligence by far surpass my attention span, along with my K,E, & I, because the only thing that I can say again, is WHAT?? Have a nice day, open a window dude... And you thinking that Ash would be safer driving a TA/FC or T/F ??? WOW!! GONE-- no gloss needed, your words speak for themselves... Everyone can read them, you posted them... Maybe it's just me who has no clue what you are really trying to say... I dunno!!

http://www.nitromater.com/45058-post1.html
http://www.nitromater.com/52902-post35.html

Last edited:
You've got all of the answers Ray.
You win. Step up and get your prize...
I give.

Right now, I feel like puking every time I think about the events that happened over the last few days, so I certainly don't want to waste my time arguing opinions with someone like you..
I don't do death well, and that's just the bottom line for me.
My kids are my entire world, and I couldn't imagine burying my child, especially one that is overwhelmed, and when the signs were all around us, but were ignored.
But as you have pointed out so convincingly, I am totally wrong and should shut up.
OK...

If you think this young lady should go out there and grab ahold of a 8,000AA/FC without another years worth of seasoning, then by all means Ray, fill the tank with 85% and send her down the strip..
From what I've witnessed the last three races, I wouldn't.
We'll leave it at that.

Don't you get it George?? NOBODY wins, WE ALL lost, a very wonderful human being and Brother... I understand your concerns for Ashley... Someone like me??
Have a better tomorrow...

Last edited:
well hell why dont everybody just quit then?
this stuff happens in racing from top fuel to local saturday night dirt tracks in every venue of racing we lose somebody sometime.
this is a sad time and we will miss eric very much but if it was another driver eric would say we need to do our jobs.
i dont know why anyone would say ashley should step out over any other driver from any other team?
how many years in a 300mph car do you need to be a pro driver? what makes one person more pro then another?
anyone driving these things has proublems rather it's the first year or 15th year stuff happens to everyone.

I find it curious that there are a few participants in this thread who appear to believe they are more qualified to assess the abilities, liabilities and capabilities of a nitro funny car driver than are John Force and Austin Coil. I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

The Doctor said it all in his post, I agree 100% with him. Whatever John, Ashley, Coil, John Medlen, Prock, Fedderly, and the rest of JFR decide to do is their choice, and I'll go with whatever they think is the right course.

We all love and miss Eric, right now let's celebrate his wonderful life.

I find it curious that there are a few participants in this thread who appear to believe they are more qualified to assess the abilities, liabilities and capabilities of a nitro funny car driver than are John Force and Austin Coil. I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

You make a good point. However, I would say that a major league baseball manager also knows and is able to evaluate the strengths of his pitching staff. Even so, this fact does not prevent less qualified fans from questioning that manager when he appears to have pulled a particular pitcher from a game too early or apparently left one in too long. To question and to disagree even with those those teams we love is a vital part of all sports. So why should it be any different in this instance?

You make a good point. However, I would say that a major league baseball manager also knows and is able to evaluate the strengths of his pitching staff. Even so, this fact does not prevent less qualified fans from questioning that manager when he appears to have pulled a particular pitcher from a game too early or apparently left one in too long. To question and to disagree even with those those teams we love is a vital part of all sports. So why should it be any different in this instance?
The difference is the level of success obtained in this sport in this class by the two people I mentioned. No one in any stick and ball sport has achieved anything close to their level of success. Questioning their collective reasoning and judgment three races into a twenty-three race season is extremely premature.

I think that we can all agree, that we are ALL are not going to agree... There are way to many ways, and sets of eyes, too look at this, since it is so fresh and raw... The only thing that really matters, is that we ALL agree with the decision that JFR as a whole, will decide to do in this time that no one expected to be in... I apologize George, I see where you are coming from... However, you may have failed to see where I have been... Like I said, it is still very raw... We do not need to be bashing each other, when what we need, is to put our feelings, emotion and differences aside... And support JFR... PERIOD!!

Last edited:
I'm sure Ashley is thinking about what might happen on the track in the future...like every other driver. This is a wake up call (again) to all drivers and their families as to the danger our sport offers, along with the fun. We sometimes get complacant when an accident doesn't happen for a few years but then reality hits when one does. Ashley, along with all the other drivers, will have to decide whether the fun is worth the possible price that may have to be paid.

It is not for us to decide for them. It is a personal matter for each driver and should be respected.

John, you are absolutely right.

We're good Ray.
Hey, I am no expert, I'm just a dad..
Right now, I am very Raw. That is the perfect word.

Like I said in previous posts, I believe Ashley Force is the greatest thing to hit the NHRA in the last 20 years. I just do NOT want to see this driver get hurt, and right now I am over-sensative I guess....

I wanted to vomit when Darrall Gwynn got hurt, I was really struck hard when Blaine was killed, and Darrell Russell? I don't know these people, but I think we all come to care about them, and even more about their families. I've been a fan of Eric and Robert right off the bat, and this whole thing just sucks...
But Terry is right, it just happens with motorsports.

We all have opinions and have the right to express/share them. In the end the only opinions that matter are those of John, Ashley, and JFR.

Remember we have something very powerful here, a public forum that allows us to express our views and feelings. People grieve in different ways, and those way are going to show when a tragedy like this hits us. Weather we knew Eric or not we all have a personal connection to him as drag racers, whether it's being a fan, a racer, or crew member on a team. In the end we are all part of one big family. At this time we all have concern for one of our family members that is only natural. In the end the only one who can make that decision of to race or not is the racer themself.

Everyone makes valid points on every aspect of this deal. Please don't flame anyone for stating their opinion on this. The reality is that we control nothing, yet need to grieve. If showing our respect, love, etc. for the parties involved takes the form of precautionary advice, so be it. If the advice is the "Rocky Balboa" line...."never quit moving forward," that's fine, too. If speaking ones mind helps put Eric's tragic loss into some kind of perspective for you, I respect and honor you for caring enough to share, openly, your grief. Let's rally around JFR and each other while we try to make sense of all this heartache. Just my cathartic opinion, for what it's worth.

Paul D Miller

Anybody remember the 1970 Indy Nationals?

I remember Don prudhomme, in tears, after the top fuel final saying he would never race again after witnessing the massive accident by Jim Nicoll. Prudhomme was 29 years old at the time. Ashley is what, 24-25?????

I would wager that with the enormous increase in number of races and opportunities she has had that she has made a great many passes down the quarter mile, probably more passes than many of the old timers we often view as icons. Due to her high involvement at an early age she probably has more experience than most of us posting.

I cannot believe any of us would even be discussing this if two things were different:

1. If her last name was not Force
2. If she was male

I apologize if I am crossing the line here, but racers race and sometimes things happen. I worked heavy construction for a decade and sometimes stuff happened. That did not mean the people surrounding the event were not qualified, or the people organizing it were not qualified.

I honestly believe that we all just "care" and do not want anything bad to happen to anyone. Unfortunately that seems to be projecting as a discussion of competence which in my opinion is basically unfounded.

I may only be a bracket racer but a good friend of mine spent several months in a back brace due to a mechanical failure in a 12 second car. Things happen.

Who are we to second guess these professional people who care every bit as much about their friends and family as we do our own?

All I can recommend to anyone here is to send a note, card, email, or pick up the phone if you know some of the folks close to the situation and be supportive, encouraging, and respectful. This is no time to question decisions but it is a time to pull together and be a positive influence on these fine people who participate in the greatest show on earth.

Last edited:
You nailed it, Ted. No one's talking about Robert Hight quitting...or John for that matter.

Why this subject is open for debate is beyond me. Stop the hand-wringing and doom and gloom.

You can crash anytime anywhere.
Just a few weeks ago I totaled my car going to a job that I hate, I was told that I was pretty lucky that I didn't get hurt. Eric died chasing his dream and doing what he loved. This has made me rethink where I need to be job wise. People need to be happy doing whatever it is they do because the end can come at anytime.

Racers race.

Emotions are very high right now for everyone. I'm sickened that this has happened, as is everyone else here. But the fact remains that for all the runs made by 330 mph race cars each year, and crashes, and fires and chute failures, etc., we've got a tremendous safety record. I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone questioning if Little E was going to drive after Dale E got killed. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't continue to find ways to improve the odds, wether it's safe-walls or whatever. I just don't think going fast in a race car is ever going to be risk-free. Like many here have said, it's the nature of the beast, and part of it's draw. I don't know the numbers, but I would venture to say that we have lost more sportsman drivers driving much slower cars than we have fuel drivers in recent years. Whatever the Forces decide going forward, I'll support.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back