Ashley Force (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
With the recent tragic death of Eric Medlen which has saddened us all. Will John Force and his wife now seriously be thinking about discouraging their daughter Ashley from driving her Nitro Funny Car, or will they leave that decision to Ashley?

I wonder if she will want to pull herself out of the seat. She sometimes seemed to be a wreck before, this tragedy certainly cant help her confidence.

She's a racer, she'll race. And though I do know where your thoughts are coming from, I'm sure she'll continue her career. She's a racer, as surely as is her dad.

Racers race. It's what they do. You are safer in the racecar than you are in the rental on the way to the track. And like someone posted in another thread, if you see a wreck on the freeway you don't stop driving to work. What happened to Eric is awful and I will miss him dearly but

Racers race, just like Doctors doc, and Plumbers plumb it's what they do.

Alan

Alan - You hit the nail on the head. As a firefighter, I 've experieced many firefighter funerals. But you learn and then keep doing what you need to do.

Racers race. It's what they do. You are safer in the racecar than you are in the rental on the way to the track. And like someone posted in another thread, if you see a wreck on the freeway you don't stop driving to work. What happened to Eric is awful and I will miss him dearly but

Alan
Great post Alan !!!!

There is a saying that a given job is what they do, not who they are.........
I think with racers, it is much more than that

Alan

Racers race because that what we do.. We also learn everytime something like this happens. Alan you stated in another thread that his father John had a comment to the other crew chiefs. Will we see something change in a FC & TF car in the future like the Darrell shield?

Alan

well said! shell race!

With the recent tragic death of Eric Medlen which has saddened us all. Will John Force and his wife now seriously be thinking about discouraging their daughter Ashley from driving her Nitro Funny Car, or will they leave that decision to Ashley?
I'm sure that you did not mean that John was Encouraging, or pushing Ashley to even get in a AA/FC...
Ashley wanted to race, she knew the right way of going about climbing the ladder, she has the best teacher's and support system behind her... My hope is, that Ashley will Race... That is me being selfish... However, the decision is hers and hers alone... Nobody forces anyone behind the wheel... PERIOD!!

Where does the responsibility of the parents stop? When our son raced karts and began to get into the faster, more dangersous classes, we pulled the plug on the finances. We told him that he could finance his own operation and we wouldn't try to stop him. He chose to take my place in my super pro dragster instead. We were happy with that. When he decided that he wanted to step up to TAD, we chose not to finance the move, but again we would not ask him to quit if he were to somehow finance it himself. He chose to stop racing. Were we wrong? I don't think so. We love racing and just gave him a super pro firebird. We just feel that if he wants to race the faster, thus more dangerous types of racing, that we don't want to be responsible for anything that might happen to him. For us it's a psychological thing.
We feel like we've lost a son now with Eric's passing. He reminded us so much of our son, in looks, mannerisms, charm, etc. I can't imagine how much more it would hurt to lose our own son.
One other aspect of the "Ashley" equation is the fact that she cared for Eric very much. You could see it. It was quite obvious to us when they were at the NHRA SEMA breakfast together. Alan was there. He had to notice the same thing that we did. How will this play into her decision?
Of course, she's John Force's daughter and I guess if I were a betting man, I would say that she will continue to race. It's in her blood.

My only point would be with an owner whose son drives for him. He said in an post-racing media conference, which I was part of, that driving these cars was something he didn't want his son to do. But if he said no, and the he wasn't going to be a part of it, his son could just drive for someone else. By him putting together a team for his son, he could at least make sure the equipment he competed in would be as safe as you could possibly make driving a 300-mph machine.
I have to believe John will feel the same way and leave it up to Ashley.

This is Ashley's profession just because she has emotions doesn't mean she is weak she just cares and doesn't have a problem showing it!
She chose this profession she nows all to well what can happen.
Everyone will be racing with a heavy heart at the next event but they will be racing you can count on it!

Just my opinion but I believe this will make Ashley stronger and more determined to succeed. She has a guardian angel watching over her and with the JFR team behind her I think you will see her grow as a driver and a confident young woman.

I'm behind 1000% Ashley! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back