Another uninformed sports writer (2 Viewers)

The only problem I have with the column, and I could be wrong here, other than completely disagreeing with him (which is fine, it's just his opinion, man I'd love to get a gig where I get paid to spout my opinions, journalism dream job) but I could swear that drag racing events easily draw 50,000 spectators in a weekend, if not more.

What many of you are reacting to on a gut level is the clear fallacy of logic employed in his column which patently weakens his argument: comparing the NHRA to NASCAR. It's an apples to oranges comparison and you can't logically compare two things that are incomparable.

It's all good. I never thought I'd like drag racing but I went to the track with an open mind not tainted by NASCAR. Some of us reporters aren't half bad after you get us out to the track and subject us to the joys of NHRA racing. :D

What I'm wondering is why this clown even bothered to go to the track at all. He was obviously bias before he ever walked in the gate.

Ma Green

What I'm wondering is why this clown even bothered to go to the track at all. He was obviously bias before he ever walked in the gate.

Ma Green

I couldn't agree more. What the reporter failed to report is that while NASCAR did indeed snare the billion dollar plus TV contract, I do believe that the general consensus is that their TV ratings are dropping week-to-week and compared to last year, are a disappointment. Plus, it's always a pleasure to watch 5 minutes of racing with 5 minutes of commercials. NOT! I've been to the Daytona 500 and attended races at Talladega. Yep, it's really cool when the cars are off in the backstretch and are a mile away from you (see those little specks way off in the distance?) and come by you once every 50 seconds.:rolleyes: I've attended about 25 NASCAR races because I like racing in any form, but drag racing is always my first love. I feel no other motorsport comes close in matching the accessibility to the cars and drivers and for a sheer rush of energy, it's hard to beat 300+ mph of "ear-splitting noise".

Same guy same story...at least it's just one guy. I think he hits on a couple things that NHRA should address. Everything else he's way out to lunch on. I guess you can do the same comparison to the LA Times and the Breeze nobody has heard of the Breeze outside of LA so screw him.

Maybe we should duct tape him to the wing struts of a top fuel car and start it. Think that happened to someone else we all know and love

He doesn't like drag racing and even looks down his nose at it. Does that surprise all of you? THAT is the most common attitude that pervades the press room at a lot of events. By in large reporters tend to be a been there seen that lot and extremely cynical! This guy's just living up to his J-School teachers. The bad news to me is that once you get around his cynicism I'm not sure he's THAT wrong! These folks need to be competing for the same level of $$$ that the other groups play for.

Mr. Oberjuerge’s rant of November 5th rant was rife with inaccuracies – but that’s to be expected from an individual with no personal experience in drag racing, either as a spectator, participant or fan (he’s obviously anything but that).

For starters, hi-rise aluminum grandstands 40 or 50 rows high running almost the length of the quarter mile are anything but “a couple of banks of glorified high-school bleachers.”

Further, had your writer ever witnessed an event in, say, Las Vegas, or Chicago, or Bristol he would have seen the kind of seating he apparently prefers. Remember, the track at Pomona is part of the Fairgrounds property, and is only used as a race plant on a limited basis. While NHRA would certainly like the track to be on the same basis with those mentioned, it’s not in the cards under the current Fairgrounds situation.

The purchase of NHRA’s pro racing assets by HD Partners is a long way from being consummated – something a good reporter would have known, or at least looked into before writing yet another inaccuracy.

More sponsorship is coming into the sport. Companies like UPS, Gieco Insurance and Caterpillar are indicative of that.

Mr. Oberjuerge has no clue about media coverage of the sport. If he did he would know that such coverage has been steadily increasing as well as expanding into areas not usually affiliated with motorsports coverage.

If Mr. Oberjuerge knew anything about televised motorsports he’d be aware of the fact that NASCAR’s ratings are declining, which might be an indication that their $4.8B investment wasn’t such a good one.

The NHRA national events absolutely draw more than 50,000 fans at every race. Every demographic study done on the series demonstrates this – but I guess doing the research to uncover that the audience is twice – or more – than he’s suggested would have been too difficult for a writer with a built in prejudice against drag racing.

Might it have been instructive for your readers had Mr. Oberjuerge “confessed” to having been far more interested in attending a Lakers game than an exhilarating drag race? We can’t fault him for wanting to watch the Laker Girls, but clearly, his prejudices against the sport aren’t based on much more than his own personal proclivities.

Jon Asher
Glorieta, NM

Joe,

Loved your comment about their assuredly dwindling circulation!!

Print media is going the way of the Dinosaur fast! And the funny thing is; most of the media are so naive about it blaming the conseravtive media, talk radio for distorting everything they say...blah...blah...blah!:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back