Another Question For Roger (2 Viewers)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Roger, since you have been there ,blown that, and raced that, and your responses are interesting and such good reads, what are your 3 to 5 favorite "on-track" moments? What are your favorite stories from the track? Thanks in advance.

TopFuel@Lions

Roger, since you have been there ,blown that, and raced that, and your responses are interesting and such good reads, what are your 3 to 5 favorite "on-track" moments? What are your favorite stories from the track? Thanks in advance.
TopFuel@Lions

Have to think about that. The first one was about the time when I got my License after being the Tuner / Motor guy. I was putting together a Chrysler with a blower on it after trying to run an injected Small Block and the guy who owned the chassis decided to quit. So - This guy comes into the Shop where I was working and says "I heard you are going Top Fuel racing. My name is Jerry (Crotts) and I work on the Cerney - Manke & Lins car. "They just had a new car built and I bought the old chassis. It is a Logghe car and an exact copy of the "Giant Killer"". I told him that it was going to be a Gas Motor because I started building it when the Nitro Ban was still on. We agreed to start out on gas and then go to Fuel later. Big day comes and he wants to drive. We push the car down the fire up road and when it starts it looked like it was on fire with all the smoke. Go back to the Pitts (San Fernando) and try to figure out how to set the Barrel Valve on the Scott Injector. Wala - The Guy across from us had a Scott injector and he ran pretty good so I go over and say I'm lost. He sticks out his hand and says I'm Frank (Pedregon). He walks over and immeadiatly says " I see the Problem - You have Gasoline in there". Frank then turns around and gets into the trunk of a Lets Say well used Cadillac and comes out with a piece of gas station bell ringer hose and says take off the fuel line at the Barrel Valve. He loosens the arm lever and turns it with a screw driver while blowing into the hose he shoved over the fitting. Next Frank says "Here - You blow on it" so I did. He then says " you need to blow and adjust until your Ears pop - but not until yo S--t your pants with a grin. That is how I met Frank and he kind of checked on me after that. Anyway - we push down - fire her up and we are in business. Jerry goes to the starting line and eventually gets staged. Flag man pulls up the flag and he leaves at an idle, stomps on the Gas and lifts before the back wheels cross the starting line. The car manages to to get up to probably 70/80 MPH and he crosses the finish line at 36 MPH. To keep this story real the finish line traps were 132 feet apart (66 before the finish line and 66 feet after then, which is where the term Driving it out the Back Door came from). When the car stopped still on the track Jerry pulls the chute cord and the pilot chute flops out and stands straight up in the air. We drive down the track to him and he is shaking like a Chippie in Church. I asked what happened and he says "I am going to have to get a little more used to this". At that point I looked at my wife and said " I am going to have to get a license".
I buy a Fire suit (Shiny Silver) and get me a Tony Nancy face covering which was a sewed up leather deal that covered up your face like a fencing shield with elastic holding it on with 2 eye holes. Next week it is San Fernando time again and track operator Harry (Hibler) says get 2 licensed drivers to watch and you make 3 runs - 1 launch + a couple of hundred feet - 1 past 1/2 way and then 1 full. I got Bill Martin & John Mitchell to watch along with Harry. Since there was only markers at the Start line and Finish line back then I asked Harry "How do I know where those points are?" and he says "If you don't know you have no business in a race car". Well I passed the first 2 OK and now it is time for a full pass. As I'm getting into the car Mitchell walks up with his signature gallon bottle of Red Mountain wine, sticks it out and says and says "Your not going out there alone are you?". One of the guys that helped me (Phil Coons) has a nephew that writes Drag Racing Books has put this story in one of his books but changed it to the Smirinoff car with Dixon but that is not how it happened. I make the full pass at 179 MPH with Harry at the starting line, Bill Martin 1/2 way and Mitchell at the Stripe. It is all good but Bill says "Why were you sawing on the wheel so hard, the car was going straight". I explained to him that there was about 1/4 of turn freeplay in the steering box and I just kept alternating until I felt it touch on both sides. They signed the license app and Harry said you have a new steering box on there by the next time you get here. I don't drink but I did take a big hit of the "Red Mountain Boys" (Mitchell and Yabsley) finest that day. The great thing about that is I got to know all those guys and even drove Bill Martins car for him a couple of times. I also drove the Howard Cam Rattler after both Pedregon and Mitchell, but it was the Back Motor car that I welded up and not the cars that they drove.

Roger, what is your take on the Hand Grenade Harry (Hibler) story?

Lets just say Harry was great guy and in my unimportant opinion that he was a whole lot better track operator than he was a racer.
Roger, what is your take on the Hand Grenade Harry (Hibler) story?

All I can say is Harry was a very fair track operator, but if he didn't like something he let you know about it. Always had the Dragster guys in mind. One time it looked like it was going to rain and I had the By. I was strapped in and it started to sprinkle. I said push me down and got an argument from my helper and my wife. I told them they were going to walk home if they didn't push me down. They pushed me down with the wipers on and I made the pass. Ran 190 MPH in almost 11 seconds at approximatly 2000 feet. Well - Harry shows up at the end of the track and he was not happy. I think the exact words were "Just what in the Hell were You thinking". I told him it had been a bad week at the garage and I needed Grocery money. He started to shake his head and wrote me a Check for $150.00 and said if you ever do something like that again you won't need to worry about crashing because I'm going to do worse than that to you. I guess sence I was the only one who ran I won that day.
Now about the Hand Grenade deal Harry just wanted to drive. Unfortunatly Nando Hasse quit Smiser because of all the parts and oil he threw at him. It was actually John and not Harry that was the loose Cannon, his name really should have been "Hand Grenade".
All in all as far as I'm concerned Harry was up there with the best of track operators even though he had a small track to run he always got it off in a really quickl amount of time.

Last edited:
I was at Fernando one Sunday and it had rained. They had the left lane pretty dry and a front motor T/F pushed down. Announcer said are you serious? The guy made a pass, smoked the tires a good way down the track. It had stopped raining earlier, & whoever that was made the only Fuel pass that I remember. I saw some interesting stuff at Fernando. Favorite stories are seeing Tommy Ivo in Ernies Camera Pontiac AA/FD & he was the first "name" driver I saw, probably 1961 or 1962. Very late 1968, Don Prudhomme with a brand new car, raced Barry Kaplan's JR/F. Snake got sideways & had to shut off & Kaplan got the win. They talked about that for weeks. Heh

FYI, My dad has always considered Harry as one of his lifelong friends. Here they are together being interviewed with Bob Burns (Burns Automotive) last year at the Valley Relics Museum.

54730367_2211059672290445_4875126092454690816_o.jpg

TopFuel@Lions

Another favorite thing of mine happened when I Match Raced a Jet car. I was at Lions one night and a guy named Dean Shaw who I had helped with his "Tune Up" comes over and says "I want you to meet someone". His name is Blackie Gejeian and he has the track near Fresno. It was actually in Raisen City which I didn't even know existed. After we talked for a while Dean says "Do you want to match race a Jet"? I thaught about it for nearly 10 seconds and said when and where. Blackie then explained that he had a date for a match race between Doug Rose (Green Mamba) and Dean who was a friend of his, but Dean couldn't see so well at night. It seemed a little strange because he had run at Lions at night before. I said OK an then they told me I would be driving Deans car. The money sounded good so it was on. We show up mid afternoon in downtown Raisen City (Population -a few) and I am wondering where are the people going to come from. I meet Doug and his wife and he tells me how this goes. He said "I will win the first one - You the second - and I am going to try and break the all time record on the last run. Being a Cocky 27 yer old I asked if I had to throw the first run. Doug smiled and said tht would not be necessary. It was mid Summer and the first pass was just before Dark. By the way - by that time I think every farm worker in the San Jaquine Valley and who all knows has packed into the track. Blackie was One Hell of a Promoter. Doug said that he wanted to be on the spectator side and it was fine with me. He takes about 10 minutes to fire this thing up and shoot flames out the back. They motion us to push down from the finish line and we stage. Light goes green and I put a hole shot on him like I never have on anyone. Didn't realise that Jets don't leave very hard. 1/2 track and I'm all by my self. About 1200 feet everything starts to get loud and shake. By the time I look over the Green Mamba came by so fast I almost wanted to get out and see if Deans car had quit. OH well - so much for my expert driving that was going to beat Doug Rose. Second round I got the spectator side and this time he waited a while to leave so I won by not much. Now comes the Finale and Doug says you might as well save your stuff because I am going to break the Speed record which was 252 MPH at that time. He goes over an adds 5 gallons of Gasoline to the fuel and says "Hang On". Doug then tells his wife to get in the Truck - drive down the track and park the truck sideways against the fence (Inside) with the lights on aftre we push down. It was midnight and I found out earlier why Dean didn't see so good at night. There was a Street Light at the Starting line and one at the Finish Line with nothing in between. That jet was blowing out sparks in the fire. Green light and this time he came by earlier. I stop and here comes his Wife and about three more trucks. They kept on going and I couldn't see where. Fortunately when the track ended they took the fence down and actually removed one row of grapes for an escape route. He ran 256 MPH on that pass and was happy even though he probably hurt the engone going into that field. Doug asked me if I wanted to go on tour with him but I had 2 young kids - one on the way and was going to College as well as working.

I remember Blackie's name. Did a lot of NorCal stuff. (Fresno Dragway???) There ways always a "rift" between SoCalif & NorCalif. We had Lions & OCIR and they had Fremont & Sears Point. There always used to be talk about NorCal splitting off from SoCal & becoming another state. OK, NorCal, take a hike. We got LA & all you got is San Francisco.... heh heh

I can picture Mr. Hibler with those white pants tucked into those black boots riding that what I think was a Honda Trail 70 or something like that at San Fernando.

Hey Cliff, what was your favorite item to consume at Brownies Concessions at San Fernando?

TopFuel@Lions

Mark, you know what? I cannot remember going to Brownies. Don't know why, cuz I went there probably every Sunday. I have a photo of my brother Mike coming back from Brownies with a drag dawg & a coke. I remember going down the little road from the street to the track. Sportsmen pits, getting a competition number in shoe polish when I raced my POJ 1958 Ford, the Hot Pits, sitting on the rise by the track (usually on the hood of my car) to watch the races, the spectator side grand stands, everything about the track but Brownies! ARGHHH War story: once I was racing the 58 Ford. had a stick shift with a Hurst Mystery Shifter. Anyhoo, I was so nervous that my left leg started to shake. I thought how am I gonna work the clutch pedal? But tree came down & away I went. Also remember a beer burn out. Yep, the announcer made a big deal about it & they actually poured cans of beer on the track & the dragster did the burn out.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back