another pro stock rule aimed at Team Black ?? (1 Viewer)

the nhra will do anything to slow down hard workers, like the alan johnson rule for fuel, now this, if there is any team that will overcome this it will be team k.b. all the k.b haters are dancing in the streets now, but you all might be dancin too soon. only time will tell folks.

Shocks on Formula One cars are less than 10 grand a corner, and I am sure they are the trickest things on the planet. After all, that is cost no object racing.

52 grand for Drag Racing shocks, I don't think so. . .invoice please. . .

Upon further review...the breakdown of the new Honda F1 car at the Tokyo auto show clearly identified the vehicle was using a centrally-located independently managed (read, adjustable from computers sitting miles away in race stations) system that allowed the vehicle to act as a single proprietary unit. The central processing systems regulated the activities of the nitrogen-assist units built into the shock system, allowing the shock itself to be nothing more than a constantly adjusted 4-way valve. The cost of the F1 computer system is astronomical. However, the cost of the actual shock is contained in simple matierials being constructed into a valve/canister configuration, which, given the cost of F1 materials, could reach $10,000 easily. In NHRA, this procedure would be illegal (read: traction control) for a team to run centrally operated computer systems that monitor and adjust all vehicle functions. If there is an individual or team running self-contained, individually monitored shock system, the cost of construction for a batch of shocks (if you include research and development) could run in the range of $100,000 quite easily. Specifically, the cost of having to create multiple versions of the boards and firmware to go with the shocks themselves could increase this cost dramatically, whereas F1 would not have this limitation. The bottom line is the cost of an individually computerized, self-contained dampening system would FAR outweigh the costs of an F1 shock, which is controlled through the central computer system.

Must have read the Asher article? :p ;)
Sorry, Couldn't help myself. :p

Seriously, there were 30 or more cars in Pro Stock 4 years ago?

No I didn't before hand and the big guy upstairs can strike me down if I'm lying. I did read it after I posted. It's not a big conclusion to come to is it ?

Upon further review...the breakdown of the new Honda F1 car at the Tokyo auto show clearly identified the vehicle was using a centrally-located independently managed (read, adjustable from computers sitting miles away in race stations) system that allowed the vehicle to act as a single proprietary unit. The central processing systems regulated the activities of the nitrogen-assist units built into the shock system, allowing the shock itself to be nothing more than a constantly adjusted 4-way valve. The cost of the F1 computer system is astronomical. However, the cost of the actual shock is contained in simple matierials being constructed into a valve/canister configuration, which, given the cost of F1 materials, could reach $10,000 easily. In NHRA, this procedure would be illegal (read: traction control) for a team to run centrally operated computer systems that monitor and adjust all vehicle functions. If there is an individual or team running self-contained, individually monitored shock system, the cost of construction for a batch of shocks (if you include research and development) could run in the range of $100,000 quite easily. Specifically, the cost of having to create multiple versions of the boards and firmware to go with the shocks themselves could increase this cost dramatically, whereas F1 would not have this limitation. The bottom line is the cost of an individually computerized, self-contained dampening system would FAR outweigh the costs of an F1 shock, which is controlled through the central computer system.

The price tag on technology is expensive because you need to charge all the R&D on the front end. Odds are it will not be around in it's original design for long and will require more R&D again. Also in the world of making a few of something that might not be around for long (rules make it illegal) you better charge as much as the market will bear while you can because there never will be a production run.

No I didn't before hand and the big guy upstairs can strike me down if I'm lying. I did read it after I posted. It's not a big conclusion to come to is it ?

It sure isn't. And racers have been saying it for years.... and the prices still keep escalating and racers keep falling by the wayside because of it.

I hate to keep saying, back in the day, but it's the best frame of reference. There would be upwards of 40 pro stockers vieing for 16 positions at Indy. And few with major sponsorship.

There isn't a class in Drag Racing that isn't effected by escalating costs. The last I checked, the gap between rich and poor was widening. The shrinking car counts are very much a part of this phenomena.

Fewer families enjoy vacations every year. Debt is at an all-time high.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back