Another Legend Lost- Sush Matsubara (1 Viewer)

How sad. I had watched Sush race for a number of years, but the first time I actually met him was in the pits at San Fernando. I was working for Vanover Engineering and they had just come out with the first forged aluminum rocker arm for the Chevys. Sush ordered some for the Fiat and asked if anyone could bring them out to the Pond on Sunday and save him a trip. I volunteered as I was there every Sunday anyway.

When I arrived and introduced myself and gave him the rockers, he proceeded to take the valve covers off right away, and I was really surprised when I saw that he had about four rockers from everyone making them, Crane, Isky, etc plus half a dozen stock Chevrolets. He was desperate, nothing would live in that thing. But ours did.

Later when I was racing with Phil Poyner with the top fuel Chevy big block, we had Sush's home phone number and we would pull all nighters on Friday nights, rebuilding and repairing the motor from the last time we raced it.

Every time we ran into a problem, we would call him and wake him up. Probably did that three times a night. He was always cool with that.

Jay

It is a really sad time when we've lost funny car pioneers like Dyno Don, Ronnie Sox, Big John Mazmanian and now Sush in such a short period of time. As a friend of mine said in an email today, make it to your nearest Hot Rod Reunion to see the legends before they are all gone. :(

If Memory serves me right, it was Jimmy Nix who suggested that they hold the Hot rod reunion every year for those who couldn't make it for what ever reason. Less then one year after the fact, Jimmy was Killed during a run at the Texas Motorplex! That's one thing no Drag race fan is NEVER prepared for; seeing someone they've met get snuffed out on the Racetrack! :(

RIP Sush

I took this shot of Sush at Irwindale about 35 years ago....

BW1-8.jpg

Very sorry to hear this. It seems just recently I saw a pic of Sush standing next to the newly found remains of the last Fiat he drove for Mondello. Can't remember where I saw it, but somebody has the car and is going to restore it. RIP Sush.

this is the pits. i can remember him in the fiat, and the corvair at the dale. one very good man. and drove like willie did ,like he did not have a dime in it. we will miss you dude, R.I.P.

Thanks for the picture Dave. That's Sush as I choose to remember him, young and healthy. RIP sir. You're keeping really great company now.

The pic of the Mondello and Matsubara car could have been in the coverage of the '05 California Hot Rod Reunion. The car, still with remnants of its original paint, was on display at Bakersfield by its current owners, which include Pete Eastwood who is heading up the restoration chores.

Both Joe M. and Sush were on hand for the CHRR.

I realize it is the force of nature, but far too many times lately we have been reading posts of yet another's passing.

To all...stay well.

DMaC

Thanks for posting the photos Kelly.

Dave Mac, I agree. It seems every time you turn around, we're hearing of another of the legends of drag racing, passing.

May they all rest in peace.

Sush's final arrangements

Saturday, August 5, 2006

3:00 p.m.

Los Angeles Hompa Hongwanji Buddist Temple
815 East 1st Street
Los Angeles, California 90012

In lieu of flowers, the family will soon be providing information for possible donations.

Donations in lieu of flowers for Sush Matsubara

From Roland

In Lieu of Flowers you can make a donation in the name of Sush Matsubara to:

The American Lung Assoc. of California

@http://www.californialung.org/donate/donate.html

or by phone@ 1-800-568-4872

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back