Angie Smith reaches semifinals at Route 66 Nationals (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]After struggling all season, Angie Smith was smiling Sunday amidst another gloomy day at the NHRA Route 66 Nationals.

Rain hung around all weekend, but Smith’s performance on her new Coffman Tank Trucks Pro Stock Motorcycle enabled her to advance to the semifinals before losing to L.E. Tonglet.

Smith qualified eighth (6.982 seconds at 185.84 mph) and opened eliminations against Eddie Krawiec, who had won all six of their previous races.

“This time I’m going to be ready for him” she said Saturday evening, and came back and proved it on race day, using a near-perfect .001-second reaction to beat Krawiec to the finish line – 6.961 seconds at 6.960 at 189.42. It was the first hole-shot win of her career.

“Our bike is running so much better,” she said. “I knew I needed to do my job at the starting line against him and we could start turning things around. I’m very happy and feel blessed to have gone to the semifinals.”

She soloed into the semis with a 7.030 at 185.64 when Redell Harris fouled out.

Tonglet gained a place in the title round with a 6.921 lap at 186.92 to Smith’s 6.950 at 188.25.

She returns to competition Friday when the tour moves to Englishtown, N.J., for the SuperNationals.

Attachments

• smith a.jpg
    smith a.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 10
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back