AMS Pro Modified for 2008 (1 Viewer)

WB_Strip

Nitro Member
I read this on Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com.
going to put a lot of guys out

AMS Pro Modified Body-style Guidelines for 2008. To help ensure the unique visual characteristics and heritage of Pro Modified, the use of post-1972 bodies will not be permitted in AMS Pro Modified competition beginning with the 2008 season.

Lanny

Nostalgia has always been the Appeal of P/M. I will miss the Viper Bodies, those are the Only newer Body styles I care for.

To me the appeal of Pro Mod has always been the diversity - nitrous versus blower, nostalgia versus new modern. It seems that it on the way to become an all blown, nostalgia bodied class. In that case, I think I would rather see nostalgia nitro funny cars.

Well I guess that kills my dream of fielding the world's only '04 Cadillac Eldorado body. :rolleyes:

So, just do a 1971 Coupe Deville instead!

71cadillaccoupedeville.jpg

Jim

Not really sure how I feel about this. I think that maybe a 1990 cut-off would've been better. They've pretty much eliminated alot of the 1980's error performance cars like the Monte Carlo SS Aero, Buick Grand National, 5.0 Mustangs, and IROC Camaros. Unfortunately, the P/M bodies have evolved into funny car bodies with doors. I think a better solution would've been to tighten up the body modification rules.

Wait...I think I totally missed something (big surprise there).

I thought Pro Mods were not running in 2007...

Hmm... so they're (mostly) following IHRA's (questionable) lead in banning late-model body styles. I don't like this any more than I like IHRA's decision. And why 1972 for the cutoff year? Seems awfully arbitrary to have picked that year.

What I'd like to see is some kind of rule like this being applied ONLY to the blown cars. Say something like blown cars can't have a body style newer than 1990 to negate the aero advantage of the new cars. Presto, there would still be visual variety in the class and maybe some of the parity issue would be resolved.

I'm not going to be happy with an endless stream of 67 Camaros, and 63 Corvettes at a Pro Mod race. I love Pro Mod because I can see those, BUT I can also see Vipers, Cobalts, and the odd pickup truck. I think Pro Mod fans appreciate the diversity of the class (both in terms of body style and in terms of engine) and any move away from diversity will hurt its popularity.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back