Allen - Koretsky crash on Shockwave (History Channel) (1 Viewer)

I've heard so many conflicting versions of it that I have no opinion on the details other than knowing that it was in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

Ain't that the truth.

Al Brown, (yeah that Al Brown) was a teacher of mine in college. He was also a Div. 1 tech director. His story was the old deal of doing 60' blasts in the new car with only a lap belt, so that's what I have been going on for years, but really, who knows except the unfortunate folks at the track that day. Null point at this time.

As far as worst crash in drag racing, I think bar none one of the worst was was Carrie Neal, another, Bob Edwards. but no need to get into all that. Opinions are like... well you know.

Last edited:
That's the first time I heard that version. Were you there?

Sean D

A good friend worked for Iaconio at the time and that the story that was told to me. Lee ran the car all the way out that pass and the car got way loose at top end. The car came apart in the driver area after hitting the gaurd rail and rolling. The reason I remember that it was the Alston car was everybody was using NESS at the time and Chris Alston was trying to make a name for his business and was working with RMS to develop a new chassis. It was bad, that's what I was told.

And us Bob Glidden fans lost our arch rival. I still remember Dad telling me as a kid, it still makes me sad to this day.

Makes you wonder what might have been had it not happened.

I've wondered that many times.

If I remember correctly, it was a crosswind that caught the chutes. I've seen two videos of that happening to other cars that were otherwise on perfectly stable runs until the chutes came out.

After that, I've heard he didn't have his belts on (which a lot of people said was a ridiculous way to even think he'd take a full pass), that the belts failed, etc. This is the first time I've heard of the car breaking up/failing. Someone on another board said it was around thiry minutes before they even found him. Again, all rumors that I know nothing about.

The first video at the top of this page is one example. The Sammy Miller video there is interesting too, as well as the others.

In Holland Sammy run the 1/8th in 1.6 sec at 307mph, he still today holds the world 1/4 mile record at 3.58 sec at 386 mph.

UKDRN Movies

Last edited:
I don't think Lee would have run the car out without belts ons. Like I said the story is the belts and seat area came apart. To what detail I don't no, but all you have to do is brake one or two contact points and you are in big trouble.

I hate to take this off track even more, but when talking about worst drag racing accidents of all time you have to consider Shelly Howard's tragic crash in '05.

Lee was definitely "the man" of our era for a lot of us. When Lee and Bob lined up, THAT was brand rivalry! I don't think I've ever followed points chases like I did in pro stock back then. No TV. You waited till you got your National Dragster. It MATTERED who won. It must've just been the whole atmosphere. Maybe pro stocks of that era were what funny cars were before them, cars you could still identify if you sanded them down.

If you'd tried this Countdown business back then??? HA!!!

I couldn't have said it better, Ron. My Dad was a Chevrolet line mechanic for the majority of my childhood, so when I really started taking an interest in Drag Racing, it was Reher & Morrison in my house, period! The pure mention of Ford or Bob Glidden was fightin' words, because like you put it, it meant something.

Now that I'm grown and have 20+ years of driving experience under my own belt, I've come to really appreciate what Glidden was able to do over the years. I'm still die-hard Reher & Morrison and wish they were back out there more than anything, but the brand allegiance doesn't mean what it used to.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back