Allen - Koretsky crash on Shockwave (History Channel) (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
I've seen a commercial a few times for this coming Friday's Shockwave show at 9pm on History Channel. It looks like they're airing 2 or 3 Shockwave episodes that night but the one with the Allen - Koretsky crash is Episode 5 according to their site.

Shockwave - 05 - Shockwave
Pilot Ben Moore manages to survive a nose first helicopter crash while trying to lift a 3,400 pound air conditioning cooling tower off a building. Next three young men attempt to drive through a flooded wash during a torrential rain storm. Considered the worst crash in Pro-Stock racing history, watch as driver Bruce Allen loses control of his racer and drives directly into Kenny Koretsky's lane. Then Hurricane Iniki, the most powerful storm to ever hit the Hawaiian Islands, pummels the island of Kauai with 200 mile an hour winds. Finally, as the U.S.S. Kittyhawk takes part in war games off the coast of Japan, one fighter comes in to low and clips the ship's stern--the plane explodes and the pilot parachutes directly into the fire.

I don't think I've heard one person mention that KK was very late on that pass, like a .300 something light! Talk about being in the wrong place at th:rolleyes:e wrong time!

Hey, Joe, I think I remember that when I saw the crash too. I think KK had said sometime that he doesn't always push the tree on qualifying runs? I may be wrong in my memory there... I haven't seen much of the Shockwave show(s), so thought it would be worth checking out.

Well, it was just on....and I have to say that I was very impressed with the coverage of this incident for a couple reasons:
1) I felt the way in which they described how the crash "HAPPENED" was very articulate, not only to the average drag racing fan, but also somebody who knows nothing about the sport.... (Explaining the concept of how the "GROOVE" works, and how a car can get into trouble when getting "OUT OF THE GROOVE")
2) Jerry Haas and Bruce Allen explaining how the roll cage works, and how it saved his life was also a huge plus..(I've met Jerry at the race track several times, and have never seen him without his SUNGLASSES....EVEN IN NIGHT TIME SESSIONS!!!:cool:)
3) I was amazed that Bruce only suffered a concussion and some scrapes on his hands! But confused on the statement that HUMANS BLACK OUT at 4g's:confused:, also kinda wondering how Kenny Broke his Tailbone in this incident.

Either way, the show was well done. Classy and not exploiting the "BLOOD AND GUTS" of an accident.

One question though....WHY DOES MAINSTREAM TELEVISION HAVE TO PLUG IN FAKE SOUND EFFECTS...(SUCH AS THE NITRO ENGINES AS THE TWO PRO STOCK CARS LAUNCH FROM THE STARTING LINE????)

I agree, they did a good job telling the story but I noticed a few things they said/did wrong.

1) They used a "stock car" (roundy round car) in their animations, not a "Pro Stock car".

2) I'm pretty sure I heard them say.... "it was considered the worst Pro Stock accident in the 40 year history of the NHRA". :confused:

I think they were off by a few years because I'm pretty sure 2001 was the 50th aniversary of the NHRA!! :rolleyes: [/sarcastic]
Also, I can think of a much worse crash than this one...... Lee Shepherd.

I agree guys. For the most part I think they did a pretty good job with the segment. Brian, I too noticed the stock car animation. That was the biggest thing I noticed.

Yea i noticed the Nitro sound,lol. They prolly dont know the diffrence,just like the they said in the previous show the guy was sucked threw the jet engine,well he wasnt sucked threw,he was sucked into the housing and his goggles and helmet were sucked threw NOT HIM. How did Lee Shepard crash anyway?

I don't think I've heard one person mention that KK was very late on that pass, like a .300 something light! Talk about being in the wrong place at th:rolleyes:e wrong time!

Drivers have been told in the past to leave together. NHRA had told this to all PRO classes over the years. It makes for a better show for the fans. Kenny left after Bruce was at the 60' mark. If they had left together we would not of had the "WORST PRO STOCK ACCIDENT IN HISTORY". I am not knocking Kenny but the truth is if he had left with Bruce this would not have happened.

Yea i noticed the Nitro sound,lol. They prolly dont know the diffrence,just like the they said in the previous show the guy was sucked threw the jet engine,well he wasnt sucked threw,he was sucked into the housing and his goggles and helmet were sucked threw NOT HIM. How did Lee Shepard crash anyway?

A testing accident in Ardmore, Oklahoma. A lot of us lost a hero.

Think about this guys. IF Kenny is not there to get run into then Bruce goes across the track and head on into the wall at high speed so what happens now, does Bruce get killed from such a blow or does he go through the wall into the crowd? Or does he simply bounce off the wall? Just a few thoughts and makes you think.....God does everything for a reason!

Jeff

It appeared that the wall would have been softer as it was going airborne,but im no expert,just what i saw.

I was watching one of the Shockwave episodes I tivo'd the past week and saw a segment about Jerry Caminito's crash in 1994. They referred to it as the "worst crash in Drag Racing" but I'm thinking that Force's crash this past September might upstage that claim.

I was watching one of the Shockwave episodes I tivo'd the past week and saw a segment about Jerry Caminito's crash in 1994. They referred to it as the "worst crash in Drag Racing" but I'm thinking that Force's crash this past September might upstage that claim.

I think only because of the fact that it's John Force would it upstage Caminito's. Caminito's was still the worst single car crash. You could get into all sorts of distinctions. Worse crash of the decade, worse fire, worse two car accident...

I think only because of the fact that it's John Force would it upstage Caminito's. Caminito's was still the worst single car crash. You could get into all sorts of distinctions. Worse crash of the decade, worse fire, worse two car accident...

no denying that John's popularity might help upstage Caminito's crash, but when you compare the driver's compartments of both cars after the wreck, Force's car seemed to have suffered more damage. It's a wonder that he didn't lose his legs since the chassis came apart at the area his legs rest.

Both crashes are very bad. Good news is that both survived.

I agree that is the first time I heard that version as well.

I've heard so many conflicting versions of it that I have no opinion on the details other than knowing that it was in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

Lee was definitely "the man" of our era for a lot of us. When Lee and Bob lined up, THAT was brand rivalry! I don't think I've ever followed points chases like I did in pro stock back then. No TV. You waited till you got your National Dragster. It MATTERED who won. It must've just been the whole atmosphere. Maybe pro stocks of that era were what funny cars were before them, cars you could still identify if you sanded them down.

If you'd tried this Countdown business back then??? HA!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back